Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for new Mother

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hi all

My wife is about to give birth any day, and somebody mentioned that I should have a present.

1. Is this a tradition?
    2. What should you get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I don't know if its a tradition but I expected one after I had my son. All that hard work, damn right she deserves something. My OH got me a beautiful eternity ring. Fits the occasion, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Traditionally if you are married it would be an eternity ring,
    but she may find a voucher for a day of pampering when she is feeling up to it a better present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lifes_a_Witch

Many thanks for the words of advice ladies (?)

Pressie will be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Eternity ring I'm afraid, and its gonna cost you ;)

Also, we had a little girl, so I got her a baby bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Wow, an eternity ring...wish someone had told my hubby :rolleyes:

I would have been happy with a big bouquet of my favorite flowers. Turns out I got nothing...get your wife something, anything. She'll appreciate the thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

8+ straight hours of sleep?

Tell her you love her?

Get something "from" the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i got her a leather hippo. She loves it!!!:D :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭D Bronc

A ring/jewellery is lovely but so is a big bouquet of flowers and a card, but make sure you put lots of writing in it (not just to wife well done from husband):D . And a little present for baby is nice. You have to decide what to buy your wife at the end of the day you know what sort of person she is, like not everyone would like jewellery. Or she might not be a flower person. It will be such a special time its not about what you buy or how much you spend but its the thought that counts.:)

Best of luck with the new baby and make sure you get lots of sleep before the big day and dont be stressing about presents.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

My hubby got me a lovely teddybear wearing a t-shirt saying "Mammy" and our daughter a much smaller matching little baby teddybear wearing a "Baby" t-shirt. They're lovely! It really is the thought that counts. You don't have to get anything in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm still waiting for my pressies and my younger lad will be 10 next month :rolleyes:

My elderly next door neighbour visited my in hospital and gave me a present of a lovely scarf instead of getting something for my son. She said he'd get lots of presents but mums often get forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

I can't remember if I got anything from my husband. I know he treated me when I was pregnant but don't remember anything specific. As for an eternity ring, he got me one for my birthday/first anniversary so that was already done. It's an old tradition for the first baby but to be honest I wouldn't have been ok with him spending too much on me when we'd a new baby to fund. I'm pregnant again now and he's been treating me again, went shopping for maternity clothes and he paid the bill as a surprise, that sort of thing. The best pressie was being there 100% for all the crap in the pregnancy, the birth and the tough first few weeks. Doing as much as you can to make things easier for her when the baby arrives will be remembered much longer than any material present.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

i got her a leather hippo

Picture please. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I didn't get a gift as such from my darling, beloved husband, but he did give me the best present ever - helped me out with the babies and did all the cleaning and tidying up for the first few weeks. That to me was far more thoughtful and appreciated than a material gift!

Oops - Only just saw TScul's post now, but I'll post this anyway!

Advertisement