Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Noel and other believers

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

I wasnt sure if this should be in the Atheists section as its preaching to the converted but anyway to all the believers here goes...

1. Assuming you are a religious man/woman possibly even a roman catholic, what will you say to "God" if you get to heaven and it transpires it's a god from a different religion?....But if you are one of the fortunate few and it is your chosen God what do you think he say to all those who worshipped other gods and denied his/her existence?...Finally why does this God need such adoration, why the need to worship?

2.Secondly why would anyone wish to exist for eternity, now that sounds like my idea of hell!...Please share your thoughts,

Warm regards,
    Pinker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would liken those questions to goading, myself, but since Noel did suggest you start a new thread I guess we have to sit back and watch any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

1. Because he is almighty and we are not worthy of him, therefore we must show our devotion through worship.

2. Because God has so much joy he has yet to reveal to us in Heaven which we cannot comprehend here on Earth.

Expect many answers like this.

Man, am I getting bored of this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Another possibility you might want to consider is that there is more than one 'heaven'. Who is to say that the afterlife of each belief system may not exist, each one there for the adherents of that belief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Pinker wrote:
    Assuming you are a religious man/woman possibly even a roman catholic,
    Does that qualifying clause mean this is only for Catholics? I'm not Catholic, though I'm a believer.
    Pinker wrote:
    what will you say to "God" if you get to heaven and it transpires it's a god from a different religion?
    Probably much the same as you, but without random superfluous ellipses.
    Pinker wrote:
    But if you are one of the fortunate few and it is your chosen God what do you think he say to all those who worshipped other gods and denied his/her existence?
    "Who gives a ****?"
    Pinker wrote:
    Finally why does this God need such adoration, why the need to worship?
    Hey, everyone likes a little adoration. Further giving the gods energy raised helps them.
    Pinker wrote:
    Secondly why would anyone wish to exist for eternity, now that sounds like my idea of hell!
    Don't know about eternity but it's been interesting so far.

If you are unhappy with your life fix that now rather than worrying about the next few millennia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

Talliesin wrote:
    Does that qualifying clause mean this is only for Catholics? I'm not Catholic, though I'm a believer.

Yes this is aimed at Noel as its from another thread and he requested it be given its own thread, so as a result its aimed at catholics, primarily.

[/QUOTE]"Who gives a ****?"[/QUOTE]

Hmm good answer Tallsin

[/QUOTE]Hey, everyone likes a little adoration. Further giving the gods energy raised helps them.[/QUOTE].

.How does your "energy raised" get to them, and therefore help them?

[/QUOTE]Don't know about eternity but it's been interesting so far.[/QUOTE]

Yes its been more than fascinating, but our lifespans are so incredibly short, maybe you cant quite grasp eternity, but its considerably longer than 30years...

[/QUOTE]If you are unhappy with your life fix that now rather than worrying about the next few millennia.[/QUOTE] Where did anyone mention unhappiness???Pleases show me, and who mentioned anything about worrying, and eternity is a little bit more than millenia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Pinker wrote:
    1. Assuming you are a religious man/woman possibly even a roman catholic, what will you say to "God" if you get to heaven and it transpires it's a god from a different religion?
    I would be seriously shocked!
    Pinker wrote:
    ....But if you are one of the fortunate few and it is your chosen God what do you think he say to all those who worshipped other gods and denied his/her existence?
    In order to be saved, we must believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and God the Son and that He died for the forgiveness of sins. God being fair, will take "invincible ignorance" into account. Those who have never heard the Gospel, through no fault of their own, cannot be held accountable for not following Christ's teachings. Having said that we all have a conscience to follow.
    Pinker wrote:
    ...Finally why does this God need such adoration, why the need to worship?
    God doesn't actually need us or our worship. He is totally self-sufficent but He created us to share in His happiness. God *deserves* our adoration because He created us and is so good to us. Often we can't see this but I believe God always does what's best for us.
    Pinker wrote:
    2.Secondly why would anyone wish to exist for eternity, now that sounds like my idea of hell!...Please share your thoughts,
    You are thinking purely in human terms. With respect, your idea of God is seriously lacking. Heaven's not about entertainment. It's about love. It is God's plan that we spend an eternity united with Him in a state of pure joy that's ever new and never stale or boring. How could God be boring???
    Pinker wrote:
    Warm regards,
    Pinker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

kelly1 wrote:
    God being fair, will take "invincible ignorance" into account. Those who have never heard the Gospel, through no fault of their own, cannot be held accountable for not following Christ's teachings. Having said that we all have a conscience to follow.

I had no control over the forces in my life that turned me into the person I am. Ultimately we're products of genes and environment. My rejection of the Bible as nonesense is no more under my power than the ancient tribesman who never heard the Gospel. You'd think an omniscient being that transcends space and time would be able to see that.

Zillah wrote:
    I had no control over the forces in my life that turned me into the person I am. Ultimately we're products of genes and environment. My rejection of the Bible as nonesense is no more under my power than the ancient tribesman who never heard the Gospel. You'd think an omniscient being that transcends space and time would be able to see that.
    You have free will don't you? You can decide between right and wrong, can't you? If you reject the words of the Gospel, that's YOUR CHOICE and God will not force you to do otherwise.

kelly1 wrote:
    You are thinking purely in human terms. With respect, your idea of God is seriously lacking. Heaven's not about entertainment. It's about love. It is God's plan that we spend an eternity united with Him in a state of pure joy that's ever new and never stale or boring. How could God be boring???.

My idea of god is that he doesn't exist so yes maybe it's lacking. I never suggested heaven is about entertainment, you did. I do suggest that anything that lasts for eternity would be unbearable. He could be boring in many ways.

I have learnt from reading your replies to various topics that you refuse to critically analyse your choices and your perfectly happy to cite scripture and use rhetoric where and when it suits, this is perfectly understandable. I do struggle however to understand how anyone can still believe in a god but thats their prerogative.

I guess it gives them meaning in what they believe would an otherwise meaningless existence, I get my meaning from other areas of my life. To be alive is amazing enough without need for a simplistic answer of 'God made it, or god said'. Why people need a specific overriding meaning to their life is understandable I guess, but I find the 'God said' answer a bit underwhelming.

For reasons yet unkown we are here, that we are here is an amazing occurence, to be part of this world and be able to appreciate it in all its glory is a miracle enough for me.

Pinker wrote:
    I have learnt from reading your replies to various topics that you refuse to critically analyse your choices and your perfectly happy to cite scripture and use rhetoric where and when it suits, this is perfectly understandable. I do struggle however to understand how anyone can still believe in a god but thats their prerogative.
    As we both know, nobody can prove God's existence and nobody can prove His non-existence. Personally, I'm convinced by heaps of "anecdotal" evidence (e.g. reading the about the lives of the saints) and personal experience. I've had many prayers answered that have increased my faith. Things always go best for me when I make an effort to do God's will. My life has changed very dramatically since I decided to seek God and I consider my full conversion to the Catholic faith to be a small miracle.

No amount of logical reasoning and rhetoric is going to convince anyone of the existence of God. God is not subject to scientific observation. God will only "reveal" Himself when we take the first step towards Him. He respects our free will and when we choose to seek Him sincerely, you can be sure He will meet us half way. Faith is a gift from God but we must ask humbly for it. If you don't like humilily, you're at nothing. Warning scriptural passage follows!
    Luke 1:51 He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart. 52 He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble. 53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

kelly1 wrote:
    Faith is a gift from God but we must ask humbly for it. If you don't like humilily, you're at nothing.

Hmm. What about the humble atheist?

humbly,
    Scofflaw

kelly1 wrote:
    I've had many prayers answered that have increased my faith. Things always go best for me when I make an effort to do God's will. My life has changed very dramatically since I decided to seek God and I consider my full conversion to the Catholic faith to be a small miracle.

Its true, theres none more pure than a reformed hoor

Scofflaw wrote:
    Hmm. What about the humble atheist?

humbly,
    Scofflaw
    The atheist may believe he is humble but if He denies His creator he places himself on the top of the pile. He says I don't need God. He trusts science/man will (eventually) provide all the answers. That to me is arrogance. Humans will never find the answers to life's problems if they trust in themselves alone. I think you need only look at the daily news to see this.

Regards,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

kelly1 wrote:
    The atheist may believe he is humble but if He denies His creator he places himself on the top of the pile. He says I don't need God. He trusts science/man will (eventually) provide all the answers.
    You're assuming everyone needs to answer every question. I'm certainly living a happy life not knowing for definite the answers to some questions.
    kelly1 wrote:
    That to me is arrogance. Humans will never find the answers to life's problems if they trust in themselves alone. I think you need only look at the daily news to see this.
    Are you implying only people who don't believe in god make the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

kelly1 wrote:
    Luke 1:51 He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart. 52 He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble. 53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

But hath He?

Ekthcuthe my lithp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Zillah wrote:

Hey Zillah, you have a brain therefore you can make choices and are therefore responsible for those choices.

Your rejection of the Bible is under your power because you choose to deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

kelly1 wrote:
    The atheist may believe he is humble but if He denies His creator he places himself on the top of the pile. He says I don't need God. He trusts science/man will (eventually) provide all the answers. That to me is arrogance. Humans will never find the answers to life's problems if they trust in themselves alone. I think you need only look at the daily news to see this.

Regards,
    Noel.

If I was religious I'd consider it arrogance to think I a lowly Homosapien had chosen the correct god.

If there is a god, I reckon Athiests would get an interview. But you Christians have been pissing Zeus/Allah/Ganeesh/Ra/Marilyn Manson/Me/*insert other god from choice of hundreds here* off big time. Straight to Hell for you lot!

I don't know any religious folk who've solved all of life's problems so that point is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

kelly1 wrote:
    An atheist is somebody who doesn't believe in God, that's it. For instance one can be an atheist and think science/man can't provide all the answers.

Also you hinge on a vague definition of the phrase "all the answers". For instance I think history has shown that science gives an answer to most well formulated questions about the natural world. However you've mixed this meaning of "all the answers" with the meaning that refers to answers to social and philosophical problems.
    I doubt most atheists would think science will answer social problems.

What do you see on the news that demonstrates humanity can't rely on itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Pinker wrote:
    I wasnt sure if this should be in the Atheists section as its preaching to the converted but anyway to all the believers here goes...

1. Assuming you are a religious man/woman possibly even a roman catholic, what will you say to "God" if you get to heaven and it transpires it's a god from a different religion?....But if you are one of the fortunate few and it is your chosen God what do you think he say to all those who worshipped other gods and denied his/her existence?...Finally why does this God need such adoration, why the need to worship?

I'd be shocked, yet prepared to accept whatever comes.

I would imagine wicknight would want to argue with Him freewill and genocide. Robin may shrug his shoulders and be off to where he is going, The Atheist will be totally shocked.

Our adoration and worship of God brings Him into the forefront of our lives. It allows us to make sure we are operating in His will, which brings the most fruitful satisfying life one can have.

Pinker wrote:

Warm regards,
    Pinker

Ahh, Heaven, the opportunity to explore the universe and evrything in it. The chance to play games and sports that I have never played before. I may even enjoy music and concerts. :eek:

All the people to meet and talk with from different times and places, to hear their experiences and stories first hand.

The food, the scenary, travel opportunities.

And that is just for starters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kelly1 wrote:
    The atheist may believe he is humble but if He denies His creator he places himself on the top of the pile. He says I don't need God. [...] That to me is arrogance.
    I don't immediately see what's arrogant about choosing not to believe what somebody else believes!

You should try to remember that we don't believe that you are in direct contact with the creator of the universe and we don't believe that you are in a position to speak on his behalf (and think it's vaguely arrogant of you to seem to think that you do).

Our rejection, in general, is of your beliefs, not of the creator (if there is one) of the universe. In exactly the same way that you reject the beliefs of all those people who believed in Jupiter, Zeus, Thor, Baal, Ahura Mazda and all the thousands of other gods to whose existence you are an atheist.

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote:

Regards,
    Noel.

You seem to be confused as to the difference between "god doesn't exist" and "god does exist but I don't need god".

Hey Zillah, you have a brain therefore you can make choices and are therefore responsible for those choices.

From the point of view of an omniscient entity, not really no. Every factor in my brain that causes me to choose to reject the Bible was caused by something else in the universe that is entirely out of my control, be it my genes or my environment.

Its simple cause and effect. I was as destined to not be a Christian just as much as the ancient tribesman who never heard of the Gospel.

Son Goku wrote:
    An atheist is somebody who doesn't believe in God, that's it. For instance one can be an atheist and think science/man can't provide all the answers.

Also you hinge on a vague definition of the phrase "all the answers". For instance I think history has shown that science gives an answer to most well formulated questions about the natural world. However you've mixed this meaning of "all the answers" with the meaning that refers to answers to social and philosophical problems.

I'd like to second these sentiments.
    Noel please stop assuming you know what a person thinks just because one is an atheist, its really rather rude of you, atheist are a varied bunch with many different interests, like priests or any other group with a single similiar bond.

I, as an atheist, have never claimed science has all the answers, science does however provide me with many answers which are supportable by evidence that hasn't come from a single persons claims but has been tested and verified many times,....

Your reference to the news is so vague I could easily turn it on its head and say look at the trouble god has caused again, but I won't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Which is more arrogant:

1. Believing we are just carbon-based life forms that evolved on a rock orbiting a small star at the edge of a small galaxy, in a practically infinite cosmos; or

2. Believing that we alone are the chosen children of the Creator, and that practically infinite cosmos is just decoration.

The first comes across to me as the more humble.

Which is more arrogant:

1. Believing we are just carbon-based life forms that evolved on a rock orbiting a small star at the edge of a small galaxy, in a practically infinite cosmos; or

2. Believing that we alone are the chosen children of the Creator, and that practically infinite cosmos is just decoration.

Playing devil's advocate:

Which is more arrogant?

1. Loving and obeying the creator of the universe, who died for our sins and only wishes to welcome us into his love.

2. Rejecting God and believing you can live a good life without his divine guidance.

The first comes across to [insert believer here] as the more humble.

Now, both of these require an initial assumption regarding the existence of God. Thats the real argument here.
    God doesn't exist so you're actually right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Not all Gods go with the Jesus complex.

Heard a Great term the other day.

"Christian Atheists"

They don't believe in the Abrhamic God and don't even entertain the concept of Gods/ Goddesses outside of that.

You should be an equal oppertunities unbeliever! ;)

Son Goku wrote:

Yes, I'm referring to social and political problems: wars, murders, poverty, crime, drugs, corrupt politics etc. I think it's very clear that that we as a human race are virtually out of control. We're unable to fix our own problems. It's also clear to me that self-reliance and non-reliance on God are at the root of our problems.

It's a bit like two people in a partnership who are having relationship problems.
    Without an third party, they can't see their own problems. They each cling to their own selfish needs and disregard the needs of the other. So you bring in a mediator who can view the situation from the outside who can show them where they're going wrong. In the same way, only when we turn to God will we see the error of our ways.

Regards,
    Noel.

Zillah wrote:
    From the point of view of an omniscient entity, not really no. Every factor in my brain that causes me to choose to reject the Bible was caused by something else in the universe that is entirely out of my control, be it my genes or my environment.

Its simple cause and effect. I was as destined to not be a Christian just as much as the ancient tribesman who never heard of the Gospel.
    Doesn't that make you an automaton/puppet? So if you murder someone, you blame your genes/environment??

Pinker wrote:
    I'd like to second these sentiments.
    Noel please stop assuming you know what a person thinks just because one is an atheist, its really rather rude of you, atheist are a varied bunch with many different interests, like priests or any other group with a single similiar bond.

I, as an atheist, have never claimed science has all the answers, science does however provide me with many answers which are supportable by evidence that hasn't come from a single persons claims but has been tested and verified many times,....

Your reference to the news is so vague I could easily turn it on its head and say look at the trouble god has caused again, but I won't
    Apologies for assumptions made and rudeness.

• Advertisement

Which is more arrogant:

Obviously this is base on my faith that God exists. If my faith is correct then the first is tragic and the second is just truth, not arrogance. If you're right then the first is true and the second is delusional.

I don't know if any other beings exist outside earth but so far we have no evidence and God hasn't revealed this to us one way or the other.

Advertisement