Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband - too good to be true?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

For various reasons but mostly due to their Cap limit and Bit torrent Shaping, I wanna dump NTL. I'm sure i'll miss their great customer service but I was thinking of going to SMART..

Is there a catch to them? I get the same 3megs down but no cap for pretty much 50% of what i pay NTL?

Does anyone use them?

What are they like for Bit Torrent and online gaming?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ferox13 wrote:
    For various reasons but mostly due to their Cap limit and Bit torrent Shaping, I wanna dump NTL. I'm sure i'll miss their great customer service but I was thinking of going to SMART..

Is there a catch to them? I get the same 3megs down but no cap for pretty much 50% of what i pay NTL?

Does anyone use them?

What are they like for Bit Torrent and online gaming?

Did you do even a rudimentary search here before you posted?:rolleyes:

If you did you would have your questions answered no problem and the answer is if you can get Smart dont hesitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I have smart and its always trouble DONT GET IT:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Good point, well made...

Care to back that up with any reasoning? I've heard very little negative about Smart other than "I can't get it" (not counting the Eircom thingy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Smart's broadband offering is fantastic, go for it if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'm an ex Smart customer. If they become available where I'm living now I'd switch back in a heartbeat! Always had excellent speeds and no download limit is great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hate smart because they haven't enabled my exchange. :( The moment they do eircom can kiss my ass goodbye and I'll be getting 7meg broadband with smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Ive always thought of smart as the best BB supplier In Ireland. well wher eya can get it anyway.. which i cant :( but there still the best

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stokolan wrote:
    Ive always thought of smart as the best BB supplier In Ireland. well wher eya can get it anyway.. which i cant :( but there still the best

They've enabled a couple of exchanges in my town. Fingers crossed they enable mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

They've enabled a couple of exchanges in my town. Fingers crossed they enable mine.

it's eircom who aren't enabling the exchanges, they are who you should be hating!

the corpo wrote:
    it's eircom who aren't enabling the exchanges, they are who you should be hating!

No my exchange already is broadband enabled but Smart exchanges are adsl2 (that's why the speeds are higher and why they only sell broadband through exchanges they are in). Smart hasn't out their adsl2 equipment in my exchange but hopefully they will soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ferox13

Did you do even a rudimentary search here before you posted?

I looked but could find no mention of Smart and how good it is for Bit Torrent or gaming.

If it's ok for these I'll prolly sign up since I can get in at my exchange..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart is excellent for torrents and for gaming.

They have their own games servers too - http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=1663

Some of their network admins supply support on their support forums too.

Smart is excellent for torrents and for gaming.

They have their own games servers too - http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=1663

Some of their network admins supply support on their support forums too.

Ha ha. That's pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ferox13

Excellent - gonna ring em tomorrow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was a VERY happy puppy last month; having been a VERY satisfied (and slightly richer) BB customer by being with Smart for nearly 3 years, I'll be moving house soon and I was panicking coz the last time I'd checked the new house wasn't on a Smart-enabled exchange.

But thankfully that exchange has since been enabled, so it's all systems go.

Smart are the best, but only based on price, speed, contention (lack of), limits (lack of), availability longer distances from an enabled exchange, and service/support...... ;)

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Smart are the best, but only based on price, speed, contention (lack of), limits (lack of), availability longer distances from an enabled exchange, and service/support...... ;)

:eek: Is that all? I don't know why I got so excited about them. :D

steveland? wrote:
    Good point, well made...

Care to back that up with any reasoning? I've heard very little negative about Smart other than "I can't get it" (not counting the Eircom thingy)

Well i wud have commented earlier but i was cut off. After 10 o clock it seems to keep losing connection and some times doesnt recover until morning

Is this because its a peak time?

Well i wud have commented earlier but i was cut off. After 10 o clock it seems to keep losing connection and some times doesnt recover until morning

What have you done to rectify the issue? Have you rang customer support?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ring customer services and see what they say, It sounds more like a problem with your line than anything else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Post your problem here and dont forget to put your telephone number in your profile when setting it up.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pocketac3s

I've been with Smart now for 2 years and their great. Torrents + Gaming are fantastic and having no cap is brilliant.

(whats the point in having a cap with broadband internet?its like having a Ferrari and restricting it to 60 miles an hour!)

Have only rang tech support twice, it was a premium number but as soon as I was connected the guy on the other end took my number and rang me straight back or set a time to call me if he couldn't fix the problem. Pretty much any technical issue you can encounter has been dealt with on their support forums, what can I say?

I want your babies Smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

Going very slightly off topic ... is there any way to find out what exchanges Smart plans to enable in the coming months? I sent them a mail asking about my local exchange and got a fast response saying it was not in their plans, but to try again in a couple of months ... any way of seeing what exchanges they are enabling either in advance or as they do it?

MickH503 wrote:
    Going very slightly off topic ... is there any way to find out what exchanges Smart plans to enable in the coming months? I sent them a mail asking about my local exchange and got a fast response saying it was not in their plans, but to try again in a couple of months ... any way of seeing what exchanges they are enabling either in advance or as they do it?

On there forum (linked above) they have a thread called 'Smart Exchange Update' where you can ask. I don't know how quick they are to reply but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That thread was created before the problems in Smart arose. I wouldn't pay it any credence. It would be good for the country if it was available in more places. There's a lot of large towns which are still dependent on Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

I'd take that offer in a heartbeat but there's no SMART exchange in my area, getting really tired of Ice and there crap "3MB" line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

We have smart in the house and although it took ages to get connected, once it was connected support has been fantastic.

Unfortunately our line was shoddy and although we ordered 7meg it could only deliver 1.4:eek: (and we're not out in the sticks, we're in the middle of a major housing estate on the east side of Galway City) - actually the NTL connections to that estate seem hopeless too but thats another issue

This was not smarts issue though and they were very good in doing some technical witchcraft by downgrading us and make some other changes (what these were I've no idea), we are now getting closer to 3 Meg.

Based on this experience I say go for it. I had NTL for a good while and support is hopeless and customer communications zero.

Smart actively rang us until we got the best of our line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

I just got an eircom line in (rather re-activated from previous house occupier) since Smart enabled their blanchardstown Exchange.

Smart said I could get full 7meg but when they checked the line they said it could only deliver 1meg due to the poor quality of the line. Eircom were in no hurry to even offer a solution or time frame for looking at the line - the mandatory "3 months" was quoted with no quarantee of improving the quality.

so even tho Smart enabled my closest exchange im still stuck with UPC :(

(i refuse to criticise NTL's name since they were great when it actually was NTL!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I thought they went out of business a couple of years ago because they couldn't pay their bills and a lot of customers were cut off without warning by Eircom?

I have rang custumer services a few times They say theyll "fix the problem" They normaly do But after a few days the problems starts again So iv began to keep a record of the times it goes off But i dont no what to do with this information I think ill try and post this info on the website Dub45 posted

• Advertisement

azezil wrote:
    I thought they went out of business a couple of years ago because they couldn't pay their bills and a lot of customers were cut off without warning by Eircom?
    I think eircom just did that so people wud go back to them But the ombudsman fixed the problem

Advertisement