Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband - too good to be true?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I switched from ntl to Smart over 4 months ago and so far have been very happy with the service. My line is a big long so I don't quite get the full 4Mb I signed up for (more like 3.5) but the connection is very solid otherwise. And unlike ntl they don't interfere with torrent speeds. I even got a call from one of their agents last week asking if I was having any problems and was happy with the service. Their online support forum is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I think eircom just did that so people wud go back to them But the ombudsman fixed the problem

No, eircom flicked the switch back on after nearly killing Smart for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

No, eircom flicked the switch back on after nearly killing Smart for no good reason.
    I thought that was what i pretty much said:confused:

I thought that was what i pretty much said:confused:

You didn't state how it wasn't Smarts fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have rang custumer services a few times They say theyll "fix the problem" They normaly do But after a few days the problems starts again So iv began to keep a record of the times it goes off But i dont no what to do with this information I think ill try and post this info on the website Dub45 posted

Unfortunately there seems to be a strange phenomenon out there whereby the bb signal is affected at a particular time - this is not restricted to Smart in fact this is the first time I have read of a Smart user experiencing it. But there have been a couple of threads on the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

On there forum (linked above) they have a thread called 'Smart Exchange Update' where you can ask. I don't know how quick they are to reply but it's worth a shot.
    Thanks ... I posted the question there, but it seems hit and miss wther I'll get an answer as you said:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

Is it still the case that in order to get smart you have to
    1. cancel with your current bitstream supplier
    2. go back to eircom to get an eircom account number
    3. then apply to join smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

You didn't state how it wasn't Smarts fault.
    I said "I think eircom just did that" (Cut them off) "so people wud go back to them "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

DecTenToo wrote:
    Is it still the case that in order to get smart you have to
    1. cancel with your current bitstream supplier
    2. go back to eircom to get an eircom account number
    3. then apply to join smart?

No. You can now go direct from eircom bb/ bitstream to Smart.

Garfield.

Garfield.

Garfield welcome back to boards! People will be very happy to hear that - is there a procedure in place for the transfer now and is changing the number still an issue?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    is there a procedure in place for the transfer now and is changing the number still an issue?

'Yes', procedure in place
    and
    'No', changing the number is no longer an issue, as in you can keep your existing number.

Garfield.

and
    'No', changing the number is no longer an issue, as in you can keep your existing number.

Garfield.

God is in the details ok!:) So just to labour things a little bit could you advise someone who wants to make the change (and as someone who made the change ages ago I would or course encourage anyone to do so) is it enough to approach Smart and tell them you want to change? what about the months notice to terminate etc etc.

dub45 wrote:
    God is in the details ok!:) So just to labour things a little bit could you advise someone who wants to make the change (and as someone who made the change ages ago I would or course encourage anyone to do so) is it enough to approach Smart and tell them you want to change? what about the months notice to terminate etc etc.

Call Sales. Tell them you want to keep your number and that you've broadband/ bitstream on the line at the moment.

As part of the move to Smart, your current ISP will be advised of the cancellation of the broadband/ bitstream service.
    As for the month's notice that's to do with your current ISP, as opposed to Smart.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

That's excellent news. If I switch (from UTV) is there any downtime?

DecTenToo wrote:
    That's excellent news. If I switch (from UTV) is there any downtime?

Should be just for the physical jumpering (let's say an hour).

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Garfield.
    Already a long time subscriber, but glad to hear this had been sorted.

If you are on a Smart enabled exchange, it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

and

Garfield.

Moved to smart a year ago, can I get my old eircom number back, perhaps keep the 2 numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Any idea why my (phibsboro) exchange isn't enabled? It seems a bit ridiculous that a city centre exchange wouldn't be set up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's obviously lack of demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Great news!!!

I didn't know you could keep your existing number and that was a big issue. Will think about a move from BT now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

watty wrote:
    It's obviously lack of demand.
    I hope that was a touch of satire;)

You can't ignore the likes of civils and if there's room in the exchange and whatnot. Some exchanges are easier than others to access.

Still, Smart should show some sort of rollout schedule, even a generalised list like the 100 exchanges list by end of year that eircom released.
    Well it would be nice if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Garfield, can you tell me if Smart is available in Ongar, Dublin 15? I thought we might have been on the Blanchardstown exchange but after being told yesterday that I cannot avail of your service I guess I was wrong and my exchange is not enabled yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Talisman

I've been told by two Smart employees that at the moment keeping your number is not a certainty when you switch over but that the situation should be resolved with Eircom by September 21st.

kyub wrote:
    Garfield, can you tell me if Smart is available in Ongar, Dublin 15? I thought we might have been on the Blanchardstown exchange but after being told yesterday that I cannot avail of your service I guess I was wrong and my exchange is not enabled yet?

If you enter your number in the line checker on the Smart site it should tell you what site you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

and

Garfield.

I just rang smart sales, and was told i definately could not keep my existing number???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any plans to make Smart BB available from the Kilkenny city exchange? Wayyy back in the beginning it was claimed to be on your upgrade plan according to the website but it hasn't said that for a long time.

dub45 wrote:
    If you enter your number in the line checker on the Smart site it should tell you what site you are on.

I don't have a number as I just moved into the apartment. There is an eircom line in there though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kyub wrote:
    I don't have a number as I just moved into the apartment. There is an eircom line in there though.

Perhaps get a neighbors number and check there's?

Ah never mind. I got through to someone else today and they told me that they're not in the Ongar exchange yet. Ah well, Eircom/BT here I come. :(

*Edit* ZOMG 500 POSTS :o

• Advertisement

kyub wrote:
    Ah never mind. I got through to someone else today and they told me that they're not in the Ongar exchange yet. Ah well, Eircom/BT here I come. :(

*Edit* ZOMG 500 POSTS :o

*Cough* Irish Broadband DSL *cough*

Advertisement