Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband - too good to be true?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

Gryzor wrote:
    I just rang smart sales, and was told i definately could not keep my existing number???

That's a bit strange as I was told the opposite - the number will be kept as I'm a new migration account, downtime will be minimal and they would also handle the cancellation with my existing supplier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hopefully Garfield will be following the thread and convery to Smart that there is confusion amongst their CSRs.

The number transfer is one of the biggest drawbacks Smart have had to deal with and now that the resolution seems imminent it is appalling that CSRs are not being kept up to date on what is happening. There really is no excuse for the confusion being reported here.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are Smart still actively unbundling exchanges?

I'm curious if they'll ever unbundle Donegal Town exchange, as I'll be moving there soon, and losing my Smart connection here in Letterkenny :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

No. You can now go direct from eircom bb/ bitstream to Smart.

In an email I received from Smart today:
    To join Smart you would need the Eircom landline in your name, you would have to ensure that the broadband that is with another provider has been cancelled. Only the broadband needs to be cancelled not the landline

To me that's going from eircom bb -> no bb -> Smart bb. Not what I would call direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Talisman

I was told today that porting numbers is no longer an issue.

• Advertisement

PaschalNee wrote:
    In an email I received from Smart today:

To me that's going from eircom bb -> no bb -> Smart bb. Not what I would call direct.

Its not exactly the clearest but its not what used to happen. However Smart really needs to get its act together and describe in detail the exact procedure for the transfer. Given the trouble this has caused them in the past I cannot believe that they have allowed this confusion to develop there really is no excuse for it whatsoever:rolleyes:

Again, I got a different message. I didn't need to go back to Eircom and could go straight from UTV to Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

DecTenToo wrote:
    That's a bit strange as I was told the opposite - the number will be kept as I'm a new migration account, downtime will be minimal and they would also handle the cancellation with my existing supplier.

I was onto 3 differant people in smart sales over the last few days, all said the same thing....

1) I will have to change my number
    2) I don't have to canel my current broadband service (BT), that would be handled through smart, and the move is direct, BT -> Smart
    3) Downtime will only be 1-2 hours
    4) The whole process should only take around 20 days

its one thing GarfieldConnoll saying one thing here, but the sales people are telling differant stories....a bit of clarification would be nice

I'm not too attached to my eircom landline number, but given the option i'd prefer to keep it

Gryzor wrote:
    I was onto 3 differant people in smart sales over the last few days, all said the same thing....

1 no, I was told I could keep the number
    2,3,4 same story as you, so at least some of it is consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My Clearwire modem was collected today and Smart is on order. In about two weeks I should finally have a decent connection in my flat.

I wasn't told anything about changing phone number. I don't really care though as I won't be using it for the phone anyway.

• Advertisement

Gryzor wrote:

2) I don't have to canel my current broadband service (BT), that would be handled through smart, and the move is direct, BT -> Smart

its one thing GarfieldConnoll saying one thing here, but the sales people are telling differant stories....a bit of clarification would be nice

I'm not too attached to my eircom landline number, but given the option i'd prefer to keep it

update to this.....i got a call from smart today telling me that they couldn't enable my line because there is aleady dsl on it. I was specifally told by the sales person that smart would handle the bt cancellation....i made sure i was clear on that....i f**king hate getting b***sh1t information that wastes my time..:mad: i don't wanna go bashing them before i get the service, but that kind of crap really annoys me...

so from my experience...so far..

2) I will have to canel my current broadband service (BT), that will not be handled through smart, and the move is direct, BT -> Smart

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Gryzor wrote:
    update to this.....i got a call from smart today telling me that they couldn't enable my line because there is aleady dsl on it. I was specifally told by the sales person that smart would handle the bt cancellation....i made sure i was clear on that....i f**king hate getting b***sh1t information that wastes my time..:mad: i don't wanna go bashing them before i get the service, but that kind of crap really annoys me...

so from my experience...so far..

2) I will have to canel my current broadband service (BT), that will not be handled through smart, and the move is direct, BT -> Smart

Any update to this? I've applied to Smart and I'm waiting for my existing number to be brought to Smart. I was told last Fri that it would take two weeks.

Am I going to find out next week that I can't bring my number? It wouldn't surprise me. There was a mistake taking down my eircom acc number and they didn't phone me to tell me that there was a problem. When I called them they told me that there was a prob.

I'm just off the phone with them. They said that my application was rejected but couldn't tell me why.

They have gone off to fine out.

<edit>
    It was rejected two days ago. I think you need to chase these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IF a comma is out of place eircom might reject the application. If you have CPS eircom will reject it.
    It took me nearly a year to get a number ported. No-one highlighted the CPS issue.
    You basically have to have a plain vanilla phone line with nothing extra, bill only from eircom and application detials of name/address, IDENTICAL to how eircom type it on the bill (not just the account code correct).

watty wrote:
    IF a comma is out of place eircom might reject the application. If you have CPS eircom will reject it.
    It took me nearly a year to get a number ported. No-one highlighted the CPS issue.
    You basically have to have a plain vanilla phone line with nothing extra, bill only from eircom and application detials of name/address, IDENTICAL to how eircom type it on the bill (not just the account code correct).

Cheers Watty. Our account is currently with UTV.

Can you explain what CPS is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dopey wrote:
    Cheers Watty. Our account is currently with UTV.

Can you explain what CPS is?

It's carrier pre select

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Preselect

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ok, to port a phone number "easily" you have to have no broadband from UTV or calls with UTV (CPS). The line has to only have a phone calls with eircom. I theory I suppose it's meant to be less restrictive, but if you have that simple vanilla setup then the number will port in a week or two, otherwise ...

Spear wrote:

OK, thanks Spear.

So having my account with UTV precludes me from signing up to Smart and bringing my phone number along with me?

I just had an interesting call with Smart Telecom. They said that it's been rejected alright but cited the quality of the phone line as the reason. This surprised me as I had DSL (for two years) with another provider over a year ago.

I'm very annoyed about this as I've been told different reasons why it's been rejected each time. Could it be that they don't know?

If I were to switch from UTV back to Eircom could I then apply again to Smart?

The most peculiar aspect to this is that I was told that I could get Smart broadband if I DIDN'T bring my number along. Somehow by magic (even though the advert said it's not!) the line would become suitable. I queried this and was told that it probably had something to do with the exchange. :rolleyes:

"It's not magic, it's just Smart". Smart Arse Telecom ©

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dopey wrote:
    OK, thanks Spear.

So having my account with UTV precludes me from signing up to Smart and bringing my phone number along with me?

I just had an interesting call with Smart Telecom. They said that it's been rejected alright but cited the quality of the phone line as the reason. This surprised me as I had DSL (for two years) with another provider over a year ago.

Circumstances on lines can change, your line maybe have been altered at the exchange, damp got in, more electromagnet noise etc. Raising it as an issue with Eircom may help, but Eircom won't be in a hurry to help someone move to a competitor.
    The most peculiar aspect to this is that I was told that I could get Smart broadband if I DIDN'T bring my number along. Somehow by magic (even though the advert said it's not!) the line would become suitable. I queried this and was told that it probably had something to do with the exchange.

This does make some sense to me, since not having to port the old number would allow your line to be setup afresh at the exchange.

Spear wrote:
    Circumstances on lines can change, your line maybe have been altered at the exchange, damp got in, more electromagnet noise etc. Raising it as an issue with Eircom may help, but Eircom won't be in a hurry to help someone move to a competitor.

This does make some sense to me, since not having to port the old number would allow your line to be setup afresh at the exchange.

True or perhaps they don't know why it was rejected by Eircom. Strange how they didn't mention CPS if that is an issue.

I've ordered BT. Smart have wasted four weeks of my time. I did the chasing. I'm sure it's a great broadband service once you get on.

Pity they don't mention this clearly on their web site. Thanks for the help folks.

Dopey wrote:
    OK, thanks Spear.

I'm very annoyed about this as I've been told different reasons why it's been rejected each time. Could it be that they don't know?

If I were to switch from UTV back to Eircom could I then apply again to Smart?

The most peculiar aspect to this is that I was told that I could get Smart broadband if I DIDN'T bring my number along. Somehow by magic (even though the advert said it's not!) the line would become suitable. I queried this and was told that it probably had something to do with the exchange. :rolleyes:

"It's not magic, it's just Smart". Smart Arse Telecom ©

In the old days if you wanted to switch to Smart you would have to cancel your bb with UTV (giving them a months notice)

Bring your calls back to Eircom - open a new account with Eircom.

Then when your line was clear of bb and you had your account number from Eircom you could apply to Smart.

Now this is supposedly changed but Smart seem as confused as anyone about what the new procedure is - Garfield if you are out there reading this for God's sake do something quick - Smart are doing themselves no favours at all wtih this nonsense.

Dopey the reason your line may not be passing the test (presumably is it tested in isolation without the person doing the testing knowing the background to the case) is that there is bb already on the line from UTV?

Most lines with bb on them fail the basic test for bb.

• Advertisement

Dopey wrote:
    True or perhaps they don't know why it was rejected by Eircom. Strange how they didn't mention CPS if that is an issue.

I've ordered BT. Smart have wasted four weeks of my time. I did the chasing. I'm sure it's a great broadband service once you get on.

Pity they don't mention this clearly on their web site. Thanks for the help folks.

Just a follow up on this. I ordered BT on Friday evening and was live yesterday. That's 3 working days.

There is/was no problem with the line as Smart claimed.

my order has turned into a farce....heres the sequence of events...

1) first was told i didn't need to cancel my exeisting BT BB, smart would handle that.....
    2) then got an email from smart saying my order was halted,
    3) rang them and was told i had to cancel my current BT BB and get a cancellation number.....
    4) did that and rang smart back with the number....
    5) a few days later i rang back to find out the status and was told that because i had canceled my existing BT BB, smart would have to wait 4 weeks before they could setup my broadband..:mad:
    6) I was put through to a supervisor, who gave me the useless line of "well i'm not sure why you were told that, but theres nothing we can do now". She suggested i go back to BT and try and get my BB reenabled so smart can then take it over....
    7) rang BT, had to tell them i changed my mind and didn't want to cancel my BB afterall, could they please reenable it.
    8) currently i'm waiting on the BT situatiion....
    9) I now have no BB....not a happy bunny at the moment....:mad:

Advertisement