Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband throttling???

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Do ICE use traffic shaping or thorttling by any chance??

My download speeds have halfed to MAX 120 KB/s on a 3MB package

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

all broadband companies control traffic see the numerous posts re IBB NTL ICE etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

I was just wondering if anyone knew the extent of ICE's control.

My speeds have halfed. Used to get about 220 - 240 KB/s its around 120 KB/s today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

They are not throtteling. They are just giving you their standard rubbish service.
    Ice are not able to run a broadband company. Just do a search on them

In a perfect world what download speeds would be acceptable from a 3MB connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

d/l speeds are affected by numerous things traffic on sites you visit, contention ratio, noise on connection state of your pc/ laptop etc., in a perfect world getting around 3 Mb from a 3Mb would be ideal ( damn this imperfect universe :D ) from other posts ice would.nt be high on my list.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing it a contention problem, probably ICE over selling!

What would be the best course of action, I'm not happy at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Mikebyrne wrote:
    Do ICE use traffic shaping or thorttling by any chance??

My download speeds have halfed to MAX 120 KB/s on a 3MB package

Hi Mike,

just wondering .. What area are you in?

JohnnieM wrote:
    Hi Mike,

just wondering .. What area are you in?

I'm in Athy

If SMART was available I swap in a heartbeat but there's no other ISP that has a no download limit available in this area (Not that I know of anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JollyRogerRadio

According to their website, Omnitel wireless internet is available in your area. I've been checking out their site, looks alright. I see they are going in for the national broadband thing. In case anyone wonders, I am NOT a customer of theirs, just trying to be helpful.

1MB, €40 and 40:1 contention with them........................I think not.

Its worse than ICE!

Probably get a faster download speed all the same

• Advertisement

Got an email back from ICE today:

"We’ve been having Network Management look into your connection and they had discovered a configuration problem on your Broadband Radio, which appears to have been causing your speed problem. They inform me that this has now been corrected."

Speeds of around 350 KB/s today, not too bad. Lets see how long it lasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Mikebyrne wrote:
    Got an email back from ICE today:

"We’ve been having Network Management look into your connection and they had discovered a configuration problem on your Broadband Radio, which appears to have been causing your speed problem. They inform me that this has now been corrected."

Speeds of around 350 KB/s today, not too bad. Lets see how long it lasts!

I get this email from them every time i complain :)

Then its fine for a few days and somehow my radio is configured wrongly again. When i ring up now i just say 'some gob****e has unconfigured my radio ..... AGAIN' :)

Advertisement