Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marking of Homework by Teachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think they contribute important exam technique tips as well, though you could argue that a book could tell you that. And also it's handy to have someone to explain something to you if the book you're using is particularly obscure. (For example, a maths book I was using didn't explain what the "composition of functions" symbol was for about 20 pages...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The only exam techniques I ever used were:

1. Read the whole paper quickly first.
    2. Know how long to spend on every question(work this out mathematically based on marks vs. time) and stick rigidly to these time limits.

I don't recall ever using any other exam techniques and can't really see what any others might be. Sure, I've heard the odd word of wisdom from a teacher, but nothing earth shatteringly important.

As for needing something explained to you, well maybe in the past a teacher might have been necessary, and they are still a valid resource, but with the advent of the internet, you can get multiple explanations of concepts from sites such as wiki and even personal responses to your questions on forums such as this, so a bad teacher really shouldn't affect your understanding of a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

a teacher is there to advise u on what they think is good methods. there not the bloody bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Only subject that a teacher corrected my homework in was French. I certainly don't think that it's completely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I don't recall ever using any other exam techniques and can't really see what any others might be. Sure, I've heard the odd word of wisdom from a teacher, but nothing earth shatteringly important.
    Well I mean stuff like "in this question, the emphasis is on this, so make sure that's clear/well done/blah" or "for x marks, the answer should be y pages long", those sort of little things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ogham wrote:
    What happens in your school?

They usually take in work to correct on a weekly basis in mine. Like Geography essays, Irish essays, Business questions and English. Doesn't happen so much in Maths and German. I'm in 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement