Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite atheist intellectual?

• 04-09-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Ok folks, vote for your favourite atheist intellectual...
    I suggest this poll is open to theists as well as atheists. Afterall, you can respect some and find them interesting and thought provoking even if you don't agree with them!

Who is our favourite atheist / free thinker / agnostic intellectual? 62 votes

Richard Dawkins
    0%
    Colin McGinn
    50%
    TazzlepHHannibal_12BeruthielradiospanrabbitinlightsPompey MagnusdaveyjoeHippoRuskie4Rentlimerick_woodyhoggy878kvscdpglqnyr4IrishKnightnijPinkerTyler MacDurdenCaptain ChaosHivemind187death1234567 31 votes
    Sam Harris
    1%
    Tim Robbins 1 vote
    Christopher Hitchens
    9%
    ZillahfailsafeBinomate5uspectmoneybluesnozzferrahhtoo 6 votes
    Bertrand Russell
    16%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarDapperGentWackersmithy1981preilly79MooseJammilodZorbaTehZniceonetomGoonerette 10 votes
    Julian Bagginni
    14%
    An Fear AniarAttractive NunAkrasiaPlayboyeoin5PDNTigrrrrDanCorbraah! 9 votes
    Dan Dennett
    0%
    Vic Stenger
    1%
    lookinforpicnic 1 vote
    Someone from boards.ie (please name)
    0%
    A.N. other (please name)
    6%
    Dr PepperTar.AldarionAlvis[Deleted User] 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Carl Sagan aint on it! :eek: Expect a hiding for that :p

Personally I've only read Richard Dawkins, so I'll withhold my vote....

...I'm such an atheist n00b :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sam Harris
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Carl Sagan aint on it! :eek: Except a hiding for that :p

Personally I've only read Richard Dawkins, so I'll withhold my vote....

...I'm such an atheist n00b :(
    Fair point Dave, but you are only allowed 10 options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Does Douglas Adams count? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Christopher Hitchens
    Always loved Sam Harris. I don't know what it is about him, but I think he's great. Maybe it's because he focuses a lot on religion in America because of that Americans come off as being really really retarded.

+1 Douglas Adams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

+1 Douglas Adams

voted for A.N. other with him in mind before i even read this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Douglas Adams ftw!

I love his little bit on how God vanishes in a puff of logic :D
    ‘I refuse to prove that I exist,’ says God, ‘for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.’

“‘But,’ says Man, ‘The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.’

“‘Oh dear,’ says God, ‘I hadn’t thought of that,’ and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'd vote for Douglas Adams, Anthony Grayling, David Hume or Carl Sagan, if they were there. And maybe Robert Ingersoll, HL Mencken or Edward Gibbon for their finely-turned thoughts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Probably Ursula LeGuin, with Bertrand Russell in second place. Depends, I suppose, on your definition of intellectual.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭lookinforpicnic

Vic Stenger
    Daniel Dennett for me, like the way he does philosophy and his material is on topics that interest me (cognitive science/evolution/neuroscience). Not well read in many other atheists I'm afraid (except Dawkins).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Scofflaw wrote:
    Bertrand Russell
    Really, for what reason?

(I agree, I'd just like to know your own reasons if you don't mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Colin McGinn
    Dawkins, only because he is still alive. Adams knows for sure ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pchaaah - not listing Carl Sagan. Lucky I don't ban you.

Also Douglas Adams and Emilio Largo.

Son Goku wrote:
    Really, for what reason?

(I agree, I'd just like to know your own reasons if you don't mind)

Partly because he came up with some evocative images (the advance through the darkness), largely, I think, because rather than being a philosophical scientist he was a scientific philosopher. In one word, I suppose, clarity.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Julian Bagginni
    Bertrand Russell. I really enjoyed A History of Western Philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Albert Camus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Julian Bagginni
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

Too many posts today are reminding me of old songs.

Now I've got the tune to The Cure's "Killing an Arab" running through my head due to the Camus connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Wicknight, I think he is great

Yeah, me too, Wicknight is the best atheist intellectual

Woo! Wicknight, that boy really knows his stuff

... I'll get my coat

PDN wrote:
    Bertrand Russell. I really enjoyed A History of Western Philosophy.

Mind you, his educational ideas were terrible - but that seems to be a very common trap for intellectuals.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

A.N. other (please name)
    I'm not too familiar with the poll options except I'm not a dawkins fan, so I figured I might as well vote someone on boards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Christopher Hitchens
    I prefer Dawkins writings on evolution. Harris gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

G.H Hardy followed by Bertrand Russell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Frank Zappa - one of the towering intellects of the late 20th century, prolific genius and scourge of hypocrites, snake oil merchants and a*sholes in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Christopher Hitchens
    Binomate wrote:
    Always loved Sam Harris. I don't know what it is about him, but I think he's great. Maybe it's because he focuses a lot on religion in America because of that Americans come off as being really really retarded.

For shame that there are only three votes for this excellent thinker!

What I think makes Sam Harris so cool is that he is so damn persuasive. Dawkins comes across as a condescending jerk who has an agenda. Harris sounds like an intelligent man who is very worried about the state of the world, and simply feels the need to let others know of these concerns. He's also not afraid of being seen as un-PC. He thinks Islam is a terrible and dangerous thing, and makes an excellent argument for it. He has this strange, stoic and implaccable logic to his writings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Christopher Hitchens
    Zillah wrote:
    What I think makes Sam Harris so cool is that he is so damn persuasive. Dawkins comes across as a condescending jerk who has an agenda. Harris sounds like an intelligent man who is very worried about the state of the world, and simply feels the need to let others know of these concerns. He's also not afraid of being seen as un-PC. He thinks Islam is a terrible and dangerous thing, and makes an excellent argument for it. He has this strange, stoic and implaccable logic to his writings.

Very true.

Sam Harris
    Zillah wrote:
    For shame that there are only three votes for this excellent thinker!

I disagree. I read his "End of Faith". In one chapter he berates Islam and gives a list of several Islam countries but deliberatley leaves out the more progressive ones.
    For me, this is the same as Creationists deliberately leaving out facts such as why there are "gaps" in the fossil record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Christopher Hitchens
    You didn't really make a point there Tim. What exactly did he do wrong? He left progressive Islamic countries out of some sort of list...?

Sam Harris
    Zillah wrote:
    You didn't really make a point there Tim. What exactly did he do wrong? He left progressive Islamic countries out of some sort of list...?
    I did make a point. He commits an "act of ommission". I presume you read the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Robert Ingersoll for me. And of course the brilliant Carl Sagan.

Unlike some here I actually like Dawkins, although Carl Sagan had a superior ability to relate his point to the common man. He wasn't as intellectually snobbish as Dawkins. That said, I do think Dawkins has been instrumental in opening up the whole debate to a wider audience, and I agree with him 110% that religion does not deserve the respect it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

edit: double post. gremlins in the server.

Advertisement