Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite atheist intellectual?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Christopher Hitchens
    I disagree. I read his "End of Faith". In one chapter he berates Islam and gives a list of several Islam countries but deliberatley leaves out the more progressive ones.
    For me, this is the same as Creationists deliberately leaving out facts such as why there are "gaps" in the fossil record.

I seem to remember him having a go at moderate Islam too citing many examples, a Egyptian Newspaper's antisemitic views were quoted for example. Can you give us an example?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Idol Worshipping in the Atheist forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Christopher Hitchens
    I did make a point. He commits an "act of ommission". I presume you read the book?

Quite some time ago. What was this list? You're making a very vague reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

BTW Tim, who is Colin McGinn? not familiar with him.

bubonicus wrote:

Absolutely. We kneel and face Oxford every day, pray to his holyness Pope Dawkins :D

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote:
    Absolutely. We kneel and face Oxford every day, pray to God Dawkins :D

lol, you lot are becoming more crazy than those christian types.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

me

bubonicus wrote:
    lol, you lot are becoming more crazy than those christian types.:p

That was fast bubonicus. I changed god to his holyness, seemed more appropriate. I loved the South Park episode where they had him portrayed as a future god of atheism. It was a great p1sstake. He mentioned in his god delusion book that he didn't see the point of it, but to me the point they were making was pretty obvious. Perhaps that's the problem with Dawkins, he has difficulty in seeing things from other people's perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

bubonicus wrote:

dawkins has turned into a golden statue? knew he was stiff

aidan24326 wrote:
    That was fast bubonicus. I changed god to his holyness, seemed more appropriate. I loved the South Park episode where they had him portrayed as a future god of atheism. It was a great p1sstake. He mentioned in his god delusion book that he didn't see the point of it, but to me the point they were making was pretty obvious. Perhaps that's the problem with Dawkins, he has difficulty in seeing things from other people's perspective.

Good answer. people some times just use it as a replacement.:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

aidan24326 wrote:
    Absolutely. We kneel and face Oxford every day, pray to his holyness Pope Dawkins :D
    Only currently about 33% of you, it seems. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

aidan24326 wrote:

Well, that's a very godly stance, of course. After all, what is the point of seeing things from the wrong perspective?

have you been born again in Dawkins?
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A.N. other (please name)
    I voted for myself.
    Damn, I should have voted for Dawkins and said that. :)

I don't know why people would have a favourite atheist because they are an outspoken atheist etc, I would probably say Einstein, or an author of my favoured books, if it was just my favourite person that happened to be an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sam Harris
    Zillah wrote:
    Quite some time ago. What was this list? You're making a very vague reference.
    "Vague reference" - I named the flipping book. I am referring to his analysis of Islam which he denotes an entire chapter to. Come on! You are making senseless accusations
    1. Me not making a point.
    2. "Vague reference"

I voted for myself.
    Damn, I should have voted for Dawkins and said that. :)

I don't know why people would have a favourite atheist because they are an outspoken atheist etc, I would probably say Einstein, or an author of my favoured books, if it was just my favourite person that happened to be an atheist.

Hence Ursula Le Guin.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

A.N. other (please name)
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Hence Ursula Le Guin.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Wasn't she the one who wrote earthsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

All the regular posters here, and Arther C Clarke, Carl Sagan and Robert Heinlen.

bluewolf wrote:
    Wasn't she the one who wrote earthsea?

That's her.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

A.N. other (please name)
    Scofflaw wrote:
    That's her.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Last of my OT posts I promise -

Did you see the film? It's anime, in the cinema.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    Last of my OT posts I promise -

Did you see the film? It's anime, in the cinema.

I haven't, although I'm aware of it. I usually find films disappointing compared to books!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

dan719 wrote:
    G.H Hardy followed by Bertrand Russell
    Hardy, eh? A wonderful choice, he was a fantastic individual. A very open-minded man for his time. I assume you've read "A Mathematician's Apology".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

I will very unpopulary go for Hitchens, he's arrogant, pompous, vain egotistical and a little self delusional, a right proper intellectual then.
    On a serious note though, when he's on form (either not too drunk or extremely drunk) he shatters religous notions presenting both argument and counter argument before the other side has a chance to retort. He was particulary good in the debate with Stephen Fry recently in which he neither loses nor wins, as Fry makes some excellent points about the excessive conviction of modern atheists being 'a little to close to the battle cry of the enemy'. Hitchens believes that reliogn has a place in society but should never hold any powerful office, like government for example and that the office of government should never favour or promote one type of religon over the next. Essentially reducing religon to something as banal as a lifestyle option, like Yoga or evening clasees in homoepathy.
    Wicknight posted an excellent interview with Douglas Adams recently which I really enjoyed but having just read Life, the Universe and Everthing I couldn't vote for Adams, it was terrible.
    Carl Sagan next I suppose and then the good old eminently quoteable Mr. Russel.....
    Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so. Bertrand Russell
    British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
    If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. Bertrand Russell
    British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

I imagine a lot of this depends on what you get out of people's writing. I don't need any further anti-religion arguments, so as far as I like Dawkins, I like his scientific writing. Those in the list who are primarily "atheist apologists" I don't consider necessary, I suppose, in that their reasons for their position are not necessarily mine, and I don't require any further ones. Further, I don't particularly care for having scientific writing contaminated with religious thought, whether pro or anti.

Essentially, that's why I chose a fiction author and a philosopher, rather than any of the more recent authors from the "Culture Wars". In respect of them, I'm tempted to give the religious response of "either they repeat my position, or are they are superfluous to it...burn them all".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Sam Harris
    Scofflaw wrote:
    I imagine a lot of this depends on what you get out of people's writing. I don't need any further anti-religion arguments, so as far as I like Dawkins, I like his scientific writing. Those in the list who are primarily "atheist apologists" I don't consider necessary, I suppose, in that their reasons for their position are not necessarily mine, and I don't require any further ones. Further, I don't particularly care for having scientific writing contaminated with religious thought, whether pro or anti.

Essentially, that's why I chose a fiction author and a philosopher, rather than any of the more recent authors from the "Culture Wars". In respect of them, I'm tempted to give the religious response of "either they repeat my position, or are they are superfluous to it...burn them all".

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Scofflaw, what do you think of Colin Mc Ginn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've been having a geez at some Sam Harris videos on YouTube and am developing alot of fondness for him :) He's very articulate, not as hot-headed as the other high-profile atheists, and he gets his points across. He's a gent!

Have a search on YouTube for 'sam harris' and there's about 4 or 5 worth looking at.

Christopher Hitchens
    The Idea City one is cool.

Sam Harris
    Zillah wrote:
    The Idea City one is cool.
    Are you going to reply to my reply to you?

Christopher Hitchens
    Are you going to reply to my reply to you?

Ugh. Fine.
    "Vague reference" - I named the flipping book. I am referring to his analysis of Islam which he denotes an entire chapter to. Come on! You are making senseless accusations
    1. Me not making a point.
    2. "Vague reference"

You complained about a list, without specifying what this list was composed of, what its purpose was or what arguements he based on it. Hence, vague: "Lacking specific detail". Those of us who have not read the book or read it some time ago have no idea what you're talking about aside from the fact that there is some sort of list relating to Islam that you're not happy with.

• Advertisement

Sam Harris
    Zillah wrote:
    You complained about a list, without specifying what this list was composed of, what its purpose was or what arguements he based on it. Hence, vague: "Lacking specific detail". Those of us who have not read the book or read it some time ago have no idea what you're talking about aside from the fact that there is some sort of list relating to Islam that you're not happy with.
    Incorrect.
    I specified his list consisted a list of Islamic countries but he deliberately left out the more progressive ones. In logic this is called "act of omission" and it is pretty much a logical fallacy.

He devotes an entire chapter of his book to this. There are only 7 chapters in the entire book, so if you had read it, you should know what I was talking about.

So what's the problem, you want the exact chapter and list, even though you read the book. Ok, It's
    Chapter 4. The list is Lebanon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Jordan, Pakistan, Mali, Ghana, Uganda, Senegal, Indonesia, Turkey.

However he omitted a country who's main religion is Islam but is more progressive e.g. Malaysia or the UAE.
    Now if he included these countries, it would have been more objective but it also would have resulted in a conclusion he didn't want.

Now do you favour a more objective analysis or do you just want to be told what you want to hear?

Advertisement