Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web browsers & Messenger die but can still ping websites

Options
  • 04-09-2007 6:57pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

This is bugging the hell out of me and I can't find any solutions elsewhere. I'll be browsing away happily (IE, Opera, Firefox) and chatting on MSN and then BAM! the net connection dies. However, when I go to the command prompt, I can still ping websites, but they won't load in Internet Explorer.

Sometimes I can be browsing for a few hours when this happens, sometimes only a few minutes.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The dns servers are probably to blaim, so contact your isp to see if they are doing any unplanned maintenance as they often do without telling a soul. How long you been down and whats your isp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Hal1 wrote:
    The dns servers are probably to blaim

I wouldn't say so - MSN would have an established connection based on IP address, and IPs of already-viewed websites would most likely be cached by the resolver.

OP, install nmap or netcat and use this to verify connectivity on the relevant TCP ports (i.e. 80 for web) next time this happens. If you can ping several sites but not make web connections, you need to get on to your ISP and give them that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Give it a go with a static DNS server entry before you spend hours on the phone to tech support.

Maybe this one: 194.125.2.240 194.125.2.241

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

john_dub wrote:
    Maybe this one: 194.125.2.240 194.125.2.241

These are BT DNS servers, and might not allow queries from a non-BT line. You should use 208.67.222.222 (openDNS).

Anyway, as monkey tennis says above, it doesn't sound like a DNS problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

I'll be browsing away happily (IE, Opera, Firefox) and chatting on MSN and then BAM! the net connection dies. However, when I go to the command prompt, I can still ping websites, but they won't load in Internet Explorer.

Sometimes I can be browsing for a few hours when this happens, sometimes only a few minutes.

Any ideas?
    I've expereinced something like this, I reset the router & all is well again.
    I think it's something to do with the firewall in the router, I've not bothered to look more into it, it might happen after a few days or a few hours.

It might be caused by some web sites, not really sure.
    I have a router-firewall-ata made by Zoom.

I never had these problems when I used an old PC running Ubuntu & IPTables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement