Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 04-09-2007 7:17pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My car was registered the end of September but the last NCT was done (by previous owner) the end of November. Could someone tell me which date does it have to be tested by?
    Also- if it is the end of September, there are no dates available until the middle of October (I checked the NCT website) so can I drive it if I have a letter to say it's booked in or will I have to leave it sitting in my drive for three weeks while I wait for the test slot.. and if it's illegal to drive how do I get it to the test centre?! (Sorry, I'm new to all this NCT shenanigans)
    Cheers. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The expiry date is on your NCT disc (the one on your windscreen). For example, if it says 09-07 then your NCT is up at the end of September. It is illegal to drive a car without a valid NCT, but it's not that illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keep checking the website, cancelation spots always turn up regularly might be worth trying early in the morning or late in the evening. Otherwise ring the NCT themselves and seek a cancelation slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It revolves around the date of registration - if the test was done late then the next test will be due (and NCT certificate will expire) 2 years from when it should have been done 2 years previously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The actual date of registration is the 8th September. Does it have to be done before the 8th (no chance!) or just the end of Sep? If I book it for October could I leave it sitting around for a month (I don't need to drive it, it's not used too much) and then get it done? This NCT business confuses me and any advice is appreciated. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Book the NCT - there's probably a few weeks lead in-time. Once you can prove that you have booked it, I doubt any Garda would do you for it - especially as it's not well enforced in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My NCT expired in June and I only got it tested today. The Cops are not interested. You'll be waiting a long time for them to contact you, so ring them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Karyn wrote:
    The actual date of registration is the 8th September. Does it have to be done before the 8th (no chance!) or just the end of Sep? If I book it for October could I leave it sitting around for a month (I don't need to drive it, it's not used too much) and then get it done? This NCT business confuses me and any advice is appreciated. :o
    Test due by the 8th then. Not end Sept like Anan1 said above.

Just drive it! You are being over-cautious here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

carry the booking letter. or text with you, but there should be no probs with it

I have just booked the NCT for Sunday week, yippie. I'll do as y'all say and just have the booking letter with me if I need to drive.
    Thanks a lot. :D

esel wrote:
    Test due by the 8th then. Not end Sept like Anan1 said above.
    ?? Read what I actually said, not what you thought you saw.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Karyn wrote:
    I have just booked the NCT for Sunday week, yippie. I'll do as y'all say and just have the booking letter with me if I need to drive.
    Thanks a lot. :D
    i heard foreign workers are on weekends, and they fail loads.. cos more money for them if u can only do weekends

i heard foreign workers are on weekends, and they fail loads.. cos more money for them if u can only do weekends
    No offence, but do you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mostly foreign workers at the test centre yesterday. If NCTS are employing a lot of foreigners then of course they'll be doing weekends.

My car's probably going to fail anyway so I don't mind. It's money hungry mechanics I fear due to the fact that I know bugger all about cars- shelling out twenty quid for a retest I can deal with. ;)
    Besides, it's not like you're charged extra for getting your car tested on a weekend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Leave the mechanics alone:mad: . Its the main dealers that screw the general public.

I have been in the same situation a few times myself regarding the NCT. What i have done (And always works) is if you have the time available just leave it with the test centre first thing in the morning and ask them when they get a chance could they do it but be really nice about it and then collect it that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I've found the foreigners to be more friendly and interested in the job than Irish lads, coming up and asking questions about the car and things like that after. Haven't been through enough to produce statistics, but I've had no problem with foreigners failing me yet...

/me touches wood

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I've always had my car tested in Deansgrange, full of foreign lads they've always been friendly and more importantly professional, never ever had a problem with em, car was just tested today, arrived on spec, they got me in, sorted. Had to help out a lady though as she failed on non-standard reflectors and hidden spare wheel so had to remove both of them for her, she then passed.

Whaddya mean she failed on hidden spare wheel? (and while I'm asking, what are non-standard reflectors?)

Advertisement