Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Query - Bus lanes

Options
  • 04-09-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about certain Bus lanes which are not in use between 7pm and 7am. Just querying, does the continous white line still come under "do not cross the continuous white line" rule or is the fact the Bus lane isnt in use mean that the line is effectivly invisible (between these hours)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There seems to be several schools of thought on this.

Personally, I would disregard the continuous white line while the bus lane is non-operational and treat the road like a nornal two lane carriageway (and drive on the left).

Others though, will insist on staying in the right lane as they say that crossing the continuous white line would be illegal. Some others will only enter the bus lane at the begining or at a break in the line.

(The line designating a bus lane is a different width to the normal 'no overtaking' continuous white line).

Clear as mud isn't it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I was driving home the other night, around 9ish. Anyway some muppet was in such a hurry home he was going left, right overtaking here and there, into the bus lane and back out. I was just pondering the legality of crossing that line.
    Im inclined to do what you do and drive on the left lane, as there is usually no need to use a bus lane at that hour anyways.

Cheers for reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Healio wrote:
    Im inclined to do what you do and drive on the left lane, as there is usually no need to use a bus lane at that hour anyways
    :confused: Driving correctly on the left lane involves using the out of operational bus lane as driving on the right lane impedes the progress other motorists may wish to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

:confused: Driving correctly on the left lane involves using the out of operational bus lane as driving on the right lane impedes the progress other motorists may wish to make!

Sorry, i should have made it clearer, the Bus lane is on/beside a dual carriageway.

Advertisement