Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pump action shotguns

Options
  • 04-09-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Is it difficult to get a licence for a pump action shotgun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

no, trated like anyother firearm and must be limited to 3 shots two in the mag and 1 in the spout under the wildlife acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

So if I buy a pump action from a dealer, will it be already limited to 3 shots or do I have to watch out for that?

limted european market repeaters have crimped tubes. some have plugs, older models, you get what you get. I shoot auto loaders, three shots are plenty.

"If you can't get the bird with three shots.......it's time to consider quitting"

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Is this 3 shot rule exclusive to hunting or does it include target shooting also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

3 shot rule is not in fact a law as regards getting a licence, it is not illegal to have a repeater that can shoot more than 3, heck you can even put on an extension and hold 10 and the nobody can say a thing to you.
    It is however illegal to have a gun that can fire more than three shots when shooting game, wildlife rangers (and presumably Gardai acting under the wildlife act) can pull you on it.
    Shooting vermin you can have as many shots as you like, targets the same. I'm not sure if it's illegal to have a repeater that can hold more than three when shooting game if you only put three in it, but I'd imagine that argueing otherwise would be pushing your luck. That said a "plug" is basically a dowel that takes the place of the other 2 cartridges in the bottom tube (it runs up through the spring) and can easily be removed when shooting target or vermin instead of game.

One other thing to bear in mind is that your firearm cert for your first shotgun is in fact a hunting licence not a gun licence (like for a rifle), so therefore you may not be able licence a repeating shotgun that holds more than 3 on that, I don't think this counts for a subsequent shotgun (€6 cert). I'm not too sure about that last point though, the rest I'm fairly confident on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I agree with Spidedog, he's got it spot on. in regards to his last point though i reckon is a little grey.

I have a semi as my first licence and its decribed as a shotgun bearing a single barrell. the gun itself can hold 5 cartridges. it came with a pair of rods which can be inserted into the mag tube to limit the capacity to 2 or 3 depending on your requirement.

Just to be on the safe side i normally just use it for vermin/pigeon/foul and my o/u for game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Not quite OT but what you can do with a repeater!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibBgBhwafGM

If you are willing to train at rate of 65000 shots a year that is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

Three lads from Kildare town were poosecuted in court for hunting pidgeons with the plugs removed from their semis . So I wouldn't be too sure about hunting vermin "unlimited".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

the Wildlife Act 1976, Section 33, states:

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

( a ) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,
    ( b ) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

The Act does not state that the bird is a protected bird or a game bird ( as it does when discussing rifles) therefore any wild bird could be crow, pigeon, (vermin) etc. In the 3rd schedule of the act the list of vermin one is permitted to shoot are classed as wild birds
    WILDLIFE ACT, 1976

THIRD SCHEDULE

SPECIES OF WILD BIRDS EXCLUDED (SUBJECT TO SECTION 22 (2)) FROM SECTIONS 19 AND 22

Bullfinch
    Carrion Crow
    Greater Black-backed Gull
    Herring Gull
    Hooded (Grey) Crow
    House Sparrow
    Jackdaw
    Jay
    Lesser Black-backed Gull
    Magpie
    Pigeons, including Wood Pigeon, but not including carrier pigeons, racing horning pigeons or doves
    Rook
    Starling

My intepretation of the Act is that the shotgun can only hold a maximum of three shells if used to shoot any type of bird.

Interestingly there is no mention of a limit for mammals !!!

If you can't get the bird with three shots.......it's time to consider quitting"

I used repeaters all my life can't understand why some guys feel they need loads of shells. Birds don't fire back........yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

J.R. wrote:
    the Wildlife Act 1976, Section 33, states:

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

( a ) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,
    ( b ) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

The Act does not state that the bird is a protected bird or a game bird ( as it does when discussing rifles) therefore any wild bird could be crow, pigeon, (vermin) etc. In the 3rd schedule of the act the list of vermin one is permitted to shoot are classed as wild birds
    WILDLIFE ACT, 1976

THIRD SCHEDULE

SPECIES OF WILD BIRDS EXCLUDED (SUBJECT TO SECTION 22 (2)) FROM SECTIONS 19 AND 22

Bullfinch
    Carrion Crow
    Greater Black-backed Gull
    Herring Gull
    Hooded (Grey) Crow
    House Sparrow
    Jackdaw
    Jay
    Lesser Black-backed Gull
    Magpie
    Pigeons, including Wood Pigeon, but not including carrier pigeons, racing horning pigeons or doves
    Rook
    Starling

My intepretation of the Act is that the shotgun can only hold a maximum of three shells if used to shoot any type of bird.

Interestingly there is no mention of a limit for mammals !!!

You always have the final say on the law J.R, you should change your username to Legaleagle!!!
    As I posted on the other thread, my buddy was stopped last week end by rangers who asked if the gun could fire more than three shots. My buddy pointed out that it was an over/under and could only fire two!!!

Advertisement