Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I ONLY smoke whilst drinking

Options
  • 04-09-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Strange but true .......would never smoke normally but smoke like a trooper while drinking wine at home or out(side) the pub / restaurant with girlfriend / friends. Does anybody have advice on quitting besdides giving up drink as well and turning into a hermit.

Suggestions please !!!:confused:

Chevy RV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Does your girlfriend smoke?
    Try getting her to quit with you.

you could also try those tobacco tasting cigarette shped bits of plastic that they sell in chemists.

A friend spent 10 years only smoking when he was drinking.
    He ended up drinking 7 nights a week. Cut down on the drinking and admitted to himself that he was addicted to cigarettes. He now has a 40 a day habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Your first suggestion that the two of us try to give them up is probably the best.

I am not so sure I could use those plastic replicas that chemists sell though, however I must realise that the warning signs are there like in your mate's case though not quite as bad.

Thanks for the suggestions ...much appreciated.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rum&Coke

I also smoke much more while I drink than i do during the rest of the day. Now it has become a habit and sometimes I dont even realise im reaching for another ciggarette when im drinking anything (pint, whiskey, coffee), Its certainly hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I gave up smoking properly 2 years ago, having smoked on and off for 10 years. But I still have the occassional drunken puff.

It's improving though. The last time was in early July when my sister (also a drinking smoker) and I smoked 30 cigs together in a few very drunken hours.
    I felt so sick the next day, I haven't touched one since.

I still go outside with my mates when we're out and they smoke. But I just can't face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Not drinking makes you a hermit?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

tell me about it like op only smoke when out its really begginning to bother me. i dont want to become a "proper smoker" if u know what i mean. any advice lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

hey i know plenty of hermits who drink!

anyway cut down "stop" the drinking untill your ready to drink and not smoke if smoking bothers you that much you will do it, although admitidly it is a fair challenge you have ahead of you,
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I had the same problem, I wouldn't even think about smoking unless I was drinking. A lot of it had to do with the loss of inhibitions while drinking. For me it was especially bad if I had been dragged to a nightclub or a place that I didn't really feel comfortable, so I was always nipping outside for a smoke. You just have to learn to be strong enough to not light up when your inhibitions start going down after a couple of drinks, But after going out for a couple of nights without smoking it gets much much easier because you know you can have a good night without smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

my input on this is a bit bizaar (or maybe not)
    about a year ago i decided to quit. so i went on the patches.it was going well until the sociable pints and i felt the craving then for a smoke. went about 6 months not smoking at any point, then decided to only smoke when drinking (which increased from 10 to 20 as the packs sold changed).

so i would wear a patch on the saturday, take it off on route to the pub, buy a pint and then buy a pack of smokes.

Recently, i have found myself going to work on a friday morning saying to myself 'im out after work this evening for a pint' so i'll just pop in now and buy the smokes and come 6pm have 5-6 smokes, but its ok as im still 'off them really'...

The upside of all this is, one year on, i'm still on the patches. dumb eh?

And my biggest goal on the horizon? to run a marathon ! if it wasnt tragic - it'd be funny ;-)

Advertisement