Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to assess damage caused by tenants?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I had a post up before about some damage done by tenants in a house I'm letting. They have now moved out, but before I give them back their deposit, Ive to assess the cost of the repairs. Havent a clue how to do this.
    1. A chest of drawers was burnt or something on the top and looks horrible now, it was brand new. How do I charge for that?
    2. A brand new carpet was burnt with something and they tried to repair it by sticking down a piece, looks terrible. Carpet guy said it couldnt be repaired. Do I charge for a new carpet?
    3. A wool carpet in perfect condition now has 2 huge make up stains, again carpet cleaner said it was impossible to remove them. Option is to cut out some of the carpet and seam a new one. Again, how do I charge.
    4. Hardwood floors downstairs are full of stilletto heel marks which are quite deep. Met a guy today who is sending out an estimate for sanding down and revarnishing. Problem being he has to do the whole floor to match the colour. Do I charge them for this?
    5. A rug downstairs is clean, but it was brand new and now has 3 noticeable cigarette burns in it.

Seriously I am worried about how much these repairs are going to cost, and I am even more worried the deposit wont cover it. I dont want to be a bastard of a landlord but its gonna be hard to show the house with it not being at its best. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on how long they are there, you could look at charging the full amount, less the following:

1 years - deduct 20%
    2 years - deduct 40%
    3 years - deduct 60%
    4 years - deduct 80%
    5 years or longer - deduct 100%

You can write off your furniture as an expense agaisnt tax over I think 5 years. However, burning stuff isn't acceptable.

Can the chest of drawers be sanded and polished?

Lesson, in rental properties, go for cheaper dark carpets with patterns - stains and burns are much less obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

Hi Victor they were in the house 4 months. I gave them a clause in the contract to get out of it by a months notice, so the deposit is due back.
    Because obviously I'm not a landlord full time, it is going to be 2 weeks before I can re-let the house. Thats rent that I had planned to have coming in, lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I would think the stilleto marks are just wear and tear. After all some-one was just walking on the floor in high heels.

Lesson, in a rental property go for laminate.

Advertisement