Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC < €2K

Options
  • 04-09-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking into building a fairly high end PC within the next month or so. I've been looking at the Komplett website and found these:

Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Black Aluminium Body (Without PSU)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    Asus P5N32-E SLI, nForce-680i SLI, ATX, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black, Internal
    Asus GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3, HDCP, PCI-Express, 2xDVI-I/HDTV, W/STALKER
    Microsoft Digital Media PRO Keyboard, USB, PS/2, Zoom, Retail UK
    Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse, USB, Windows XP/Vista
    LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF, 1680x1050, 3000:1, 2ms, DVI-D/VGA, Silver/Black
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate English OEM DVD 64bit

Still need to fine a PSU - preferably from komplett as well - need some advice on fairly decent RAM as well, probably go with 4Gb. Also do the components above look suitable for a high end PC. Please let me know if i've overlooked anything here. I'd particularly like feedback on the motherboard, monitor, and graphics card.
    Any advice appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

try www.hardwareversand.de or even www.idealo.de (a shopping search engine) Much cheaper last time i checked on most things www.dabs.ie is another thats closer to home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Some Crucial BallitiX or Corsair DDR-2 800 and you cant really go wrong.

Most of the parts are fine though ;
    * Do you really need the SLI board if not get a P35 chipset reliable and cheaper.
    * The 8600GTS is a mid-range part I'll assume your not that big of a gamer but for a high end PC an 8800GTS or 2900XT would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Nice build, apart from the low end graphics card. But if your not a huge gamer, it dosent matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Good question would be what are you using the pc for?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TVMANIAC2

Thanks for the feedback so far;)
    dazftw wrote:
    Good question would be what are you using the pc for?
    I do a bit of video editing and tonnes of multitasking. I do a fair amount of gaming on it as well although the games i play might be 1-2 yrs old when i play them. I do a fair bit of coding (though this shouldn't really make a difference i think) and would like to use it with some engineering programs overall i'd like a high end multimedia and gaming machine which should handle tonnes of the basic apps. quickly.
    Anti wrote:
    Nice build, apart from the low end graphics card. But if your not a huge gamer, it dosent matter.
    8T8 wrote:
    Some Crucial BallitiX or Corsair DDR-2 800 and you cant really go wrong.

Most of the parts are fine though ;
    * Do you really need the SLI board if not get a P35 chipset reliable and cheaper.
    * The 8600GTS is a mid-range part I'll assume your not that big of a gamer but for a high end PC an 8800GTS or 2900XT would be more appropriate.

I was thinking the SLI motherboard would be fairly future proof - feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though. I'll look into a better graphics card as well. BTW would 2 cheaper graphics cards connected together using the SLI motherboard be better than 1 of the more high end graphics cards like those mentioned above or vice versa??
    try www.hardwareversand.de or even www.idealo.de (a shopping search engine) Much cheaper last time i checked on most things www.dabs.ie is another thats closer to home

Will check these out as well - always thought dabs was a little on the expensive side though

• Advertisement

wrt the PSU would this one do the trick http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327672 (Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150) - i'm completely clueless when it comes to PSUs:D . I take it that all ATX12V PSUs are the same dimensions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

The above mentioned power supply from Corsair is a very nice and stable PSU. Will suit your system really well and serve the purpose of providing stable power.

2 graphics cards sli'd doesnt make much difference, think at most you get an increase of about 20% on the original single card.

If i was you, seeming your not much into games, would be buy 1 single 320mb 8800GTS, you'd buy this for just slightly more than 2 8600's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

1 high end card is always better than sli:

SLI is not fully supported in all games, may or may not increase performance, depends on the game.

Also x2 cards = x2 noise, x2 heat and x2 power needed to run em.

Corsair PSU: great choice

So would the following list be everything i need to build a decent high end PC??:rolleyes:

Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Black Aluminium Body (Without PSU)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    Asus P5N32-E SLI, nForce-680i SLI, ATX, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black, Internal
    Gainward GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, "BP8800GTS-640M-TV-DD" - not entirely sure bout this - anyone hear of Gainward before??:confused:
    Trust SP-6250Z 5.1 Speakerset, 50 Watt, Magnetically shielded
    Microsoft Digital Media PRO Keyboard, USB, PS/2, Zoom, Retail UK
    Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse, USB, Windows XP/Vista
    LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF, 1680x1050, 3000:1, 2ms, DVI-D/VGA, Silver/Black
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate English OEM DVD 64bit
    Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 2048MB CL4 ,Kit w/two BallistiX 1024MB's, E.P.P x 2
    Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150

it's slightly over budget but i would be looking for something that would do me for several yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

gainward is a good brand , there all about the same tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

i was lookin at that case too but thought (because of one of the komplett comments) i thought a 8800 inparticular the gtx wouldnt fit in it. its the comment about graphics card that take up the space of two expansion slots and the way the case secures expansion cards. but then i did see this on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwnNRgQmzhg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I think the 8800gts and the 7900GTX are very similar in size. So it shoudl fit. No hope of getting a 8800gtx in there, unless you take a dremel to it.

Also, that psu is great, have one myself.

I would personaly change the ram to geil or ocz if you plan on overclocking, but if you are going to leave it standard then the crucial will be grand.

Advertisement