Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Search Ever Be Restored Fully?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

One word replies only, thankyou.

Mike.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Will it be restored?? Whats wrong with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He meant the previous search feature, like Find posts by user, started by user, etc (not the current Boardstracker one) I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jonny24ie has'nt been a member long enough to know the true search feature ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

He's here longer than me and I remember it.

I'm not too push about bringing it back when I see cool things likesocial.ie coming along.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mike I remember it well. Dam all my time in work was spent using the search function, it was great!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It was mooted as returning not too long after the servers got a kick in their respective electronic pants. I believe someone said "in the next week or two" (I may be paraphrasing slightly, but that was the message).

At the moment, there is an adverts revamp ongoing (good), and this new social.ie thing that no one was aware of until it popped up as a hyperlink under their avatars (dunno yet).

Search seems to be down the to-do list somewhere, I have to assume.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Search is linked to a restructure of the hardware which runs the Database. Thats part of two of the hardware upgrade and we are working on it (it was raised at a meeting of the admins only last week and a plan has been outlined for its possible return).

This hardware restructure will happen shortly but it is entirely dependant on Regi and right now Regi has a few real world commitments which will see him taking a week or two away from Boards. Its not a good time to start hassling him, believe me.

When thats done we will turn on search (possibly on a separate machine) and see its impact and make an assessment.

All the admins have said they would like it to return so its not like we're stalling it just to be bloodyminded you know!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yes.

DeVore wrote:
    Search is linked to a restructure of the hardware which runs the Database. Thats part of two of the hardware upgrade and we are working on it (it was raised at a meeting of the admins only last week and a plan has been outlined for its possible return).

This hardware restructure will happen shortly but it is entirely dependant on Regi and right now Regi has a few real world commitments which will see him taking a week or two away from Boards. Its not a good time to start hassling him, believe me.

When thats done we will turn on search (possibly on a separate machine) and see its impact and make an assessment.

All the admins have said they would like it to return so its not like we're stalling it just to be bloodyminded you know!

DeV.

Cool, well no pressure on Regi or rest of the admins.
    I was wondering where it was gone cos I was at least able to use the search bar to do a google search but that went again last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well We're just waiting on An Post to deliver my access details to the database. Once that happens its a simply matter for me to upload some scripts. They may or may not have anything to do with search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When Boston says "upload some scripts", why does that conjur up images in my head of Boston attempting to stuff reams of paper into a CD-ROM drive?

As best I understand it, the admins have spent the last few months just "running to stand still" in terms of hardware upgrades - so while there was plenty of work going on, it was to return boards.ie to state of stable usability, and not necessarily to turn it into a powerhouse.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

DeVore wrote:
    SIts not a good time to start hassling him, believe me.

"Don't hassle the hoff... I mean Regi"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Possibly

*Sends regi pm demanding cake and biscuits*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We should note the most vocal search advocates as those most likely to be stalkers....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Boston wrote:
    *Sends regi pm demanding cake and biscuits*
    Thats my job. Leave Regi alone. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

6th wrote:
    He's here longer than me and I remember it.

I'm not too push about bringing it back when I see cool things likesocial.ie coming along.

I only just saw that, damm. I'm going to have to make up imaginary friends to make myself look good. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the current search is crap

did I see something like last post by user appear by peoples name last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

the crap-search© has been around so long i barely remember the old one.

all i seem to recall was that it was kinda amazing.

Bring it back!

No more excuses about meetings and real-world stuff. we've had 2 years of hearing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Whats this search thing everyone is talking about? Do you mean the same search ability as in all other message boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

yes

Maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

techno

sure what would yizzer be searchin for anyway? You'll never find me pot o' gold!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

AntiVirus wrote:
    Whats this search thing everyone is talking about? Do you mean the same search ability as in all other message boards?

When you click a users name you get the following options:

Veiw Public profile
    Send a PM to..
    Find more threads by..
    Add.. to your buddy list

There used to be a 'find all posts by...' option. It's gone now as it was contributing to a big load on the servers which was slowing boards.ie down.

I don't really miss it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

When you click a users name you get the following options:

Veiw Public profile
    Send a PM to..
    Find more threads by..
    Add.. to your buddy list

There used to be a 'find all posts by...' option. It's gone now as it was contributing to a big load on the servers which was slowing boards.ie down.

I don't really miss it TBH.

what are you talking about?

That wasn't the original search.

The full search let you search by username, search a particular forum or use keywords. Every VB forum has it.

One extension of this was "My recent posts", it essentially searched for posts with your username.
    Yep exactly, mostly I want the 'New Posts' or the 'New Posts from Subscribed Forums' back! I'd pay for either!

exactly. people would pay for the search service in a subscription and we have the techs working on social.ie bugs and blog features that nobody uses.

Next we'll see them bringing back the rep system and other pointless features.

One of the core features of a forum is the ability to search old posts. What we have now is posters adding threads asking questions that have already been answered thus creating more overhead.

The mind boggles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

quarryman wrote:
    The full search let you search by username, search a particular forum or use keywords. Every VB forum has it.

One extension of this was "My recent posts", it essentially searched for posts with your username..

It's been that long I'd forgotten about the 'my recent posts'. Still don't miss it. 'Subscribed Threads' works for me plus I can check my 'last 20 posts' anyway, never do though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its not that difficult to do a search on google surely?
    In advanced search in the domain just type boards.ie and you'll only get results from here. Not perfect, but I've used it a few times.

Advertisement