Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Journey

• 04-09-2007 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I know that 'Don't Stop Believing' is everywhere now thanks to shows like Family Guy and Scrubs, and it's possibly overkill, but I just have to say, Journey were a great band, and made some good songs in their time. Gotta love some of their stuff, and Neal Schon is a very good guitar player.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have one album - yes its Escape! and that was a freebie as I won 25 pounds of Golden Dics tokens from Larry Gogans show back in the late 80s :)

The Ducks vocal stylings can be a bit much at times but the tunes fairly rock out. Its a loud LP.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,019 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Love Journey...

Ray Foley from TodayFM interviewed Steve Perry today on the show - quite an interesting interview to hear how he was approached by David Chase from The Sopranos and wouldn't let them use 'Don't Stop Believin' until he knew exactly how the song would be used (over the closing moments).

Can't mention Journey and not add this into the mix:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

what a quality band and some super cheesy yet quality tunes. it was great when they were the sort of cult following that they had, as in the odd time you'd hear them you'd smile and go "thats journey", then it turned up on family guy and the people in the chapel go "hey thats journey"!!! i nearly wet myself laughing (medical condition) its great to hear them growing in popularity,even if it is on the back of TV shows. Theyre music has been used on countless movies and tv shows in the last 2 or 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The family guy reference was brilliant. I said the same thing ("thats Journey!") the first time I saw it. I never watched the Sopranos to see what the big deal was, but the increase in popularity since then, won't do them any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

gucci wrote:
    what a quality band and some super cheesy yet quality tunes.
    Yeah, great band, Steve Perry is a fantastic vocalist.
    I've found myself having to defend them from 'one hit wonder' accusations a couple of times lately :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Indeed they are a fantastic band.
    Too good sometimes.
    Escape is great but their real gems lie in their greatest hits.
    It is probably the best album I ever bought just because I've had it so long without getting even th slightest bit tired of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Yeah, great band, Steve Perry is a fantastic vocalist.
    I've found myself having to defend them from 'one hit wonder' accusations a couple of times lately :rolleyes:

the people who say they are one hit wonders are the same people only find out about bands through TV show and film soundtracks and cant think for themselves.

my favourite song is separate ways (worlds apart)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

great band, separate ways is probably my favourite as well.

especially the video, i'd love to be able to play air keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

The main reason Dont stop believin' is around everywhere lately is because it was on Sopranos. the last song on it and as soon as that was shown every radio station played it... I really wish theyd out it on singstar or somethin like that.

They are ok. more of a band to have a laugh at than really get into their stuff but its good cheesy fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

they re released dont stop believing recently,its everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Wasnt that due to a ray foley campaign?didnt it reach like 14 in the irish charts?

Great ,chessy music thats impossible not to love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Frontiers is better than escape :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I have the best of, or one of thier best of's . .. chuffin' marvelous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Journey are a great band. But a classic example of a band who are a victim of their own success.

I'd advice people to try and have a listen to the albums pre Steve Perry just to get an idea of what the band were originally about. A lot of the album tracks are instrmental as they were more of a jam band. Some of the music is very progressive and really reminds you of what a tight, talented band they are.

The first couple of albums with Steve Perry are a lot more "70's" sounding and rougher than the later stuff so its interesting to hear the transittion to the uber polished Journey that everybody knows and loves. I dont think the polished sound they ended up with is a bad thing though. It is a very distinctive sound and the listener knows after a few bars that its Journey, which in my opinion, is a hard thing for a band to achieve. All though their earlier stuff is probably more credible, it would be hard to distinguish from other 70's rock jam bands.

All in all a great band and well worth getting into with some great albums to discover once your bored of the Greatest Hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

werent a few of them in santana's band back in the day, but wanted to be heard themselves as they were being dwarfed by santanas success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue Velvet

Back of the net job from JOURNEY! really is "lovely stuff"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

been into this band for years and like one of the posters above ive had to defend them against the one hit wonder jibes,of course its ot a bad thing but id give anything to see them back with perry tow....if you like journey you will love "Soul Sirkus" it was a band put together by Neil schon and marco mendoza a few years ago along with jeff scott soto on vocals and the amazing virgil donati on drums if you like your hard rock you will love this band...Long live Journey and there super cheesy videos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Woooooooooo!!

Journeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    Yeah!

Advertisement