Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concertina Doors between kitchen & sitting room

Options
  • 04-09-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have a regular double door separating my kitchen/dining room. This means that I have to keep the area of the swing arc of the doors free on the sitting room side which is inconvenient.

I am flirting with the idea of fitting concertina doors to allow the sense of space while still being able to screen one off from the other when necessary.

Is this a good or bad idea and what are the alternatives?

Are there stockists for concertina doors in Ireland?

Thanks

Milmo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

OP: a problem with concertina type doors can be that they require a top and bottom track which makes them a bit 'off' for domestic internal use: fine when on nexternal wall as u will be looking for weatherproofing any way.

The other issue with a domestic setup is that u prolly inly have a set of double doors anyway so unless u are widening the concertina will be more frame than anything else.
    what i have done for a client is install sliding doors behind a false floor to ceiilng partition. u lose maybe 4 to 6 inches of floor area but there is no longer a 'swing' area to keep clear.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I had the same problem and installed two bi-fold doors - 4 panels in total. If you get the correct hinges they can fold right back on themselves against the wall, and the swing is only about a foot. Plus they look right, in that they still have the same panels as the old doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

UB wrote:
    I had the same problem and installed two bi-fold doors - 4 panels in total. If you get the correct hinges they can fold right back on themselves against the wall, and the swing is only about a foot. Plus they look right, in that they still have the same panels as the old doors.
    How do you support the weight of the doors?
    Do you have a wheel or something on the base of the first door?

Advertisement