Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

summons instead of speeding fine??

Options
  • 05-09-2007 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,

a freind of mine was pulled over about this time last night by an unmarked garda car on the m50. she was doing ~130 (so the gards say) in a 100 kph zone. they said she will recieve a summons in the post.

are they only trying to scare her you think? arent they meant to prove she was speeding by showing her the camera in the car? also why did she get a summons over a fine? anyone got experience of this?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If it is one of the unmarked traffic cars then they'll have a video record with the speed.

Incidentally I saw one of the unmarked Volvo S60's on the M1 just after dealing with a speeder, pull away and 30 seconds later chase down another guy. They must have been on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

why did she get a summons then? what will come of that? i thought if your speeding you get an 80 quid fine and 2 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you're a good bit over the speed limit, you get a summons and 4 points on conviction instead of the 2 points. But I thought you had to be 40-50% over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smartypants

thats harsh, dont they have to show you the camera at the time like the way the they do when they do you for speeding at a speed trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think you will never hear of this again. Unless they where uniformed and traffic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

thats harsh, dont they have to show you the camera at the time like the way the they do when they do you for speeding at a speed trap
    No. They changed the leglislation so they do not need to provide proof. The word of the gardai is taken as truth. Incidentally, they also do not need to provide evidence that the device is callibrated or even in working order.

MrP

thats crap! so they could in fact exaggerate the speed you were doing and that fiction would be taking in court...im thinking she might never here of it again, but shes worrying no end about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Did they tell her to produce her license and insurance in a Garda Station ?
    If she doesn't, or produces it in the wrong one she'll get the following Summon's

Failure to produce License
    Failure to produce Insurance
    No License
    No Insurance
    Dangerous Driving
    Careless Driving

Thats the standard ones they whack out anyways. They were probably following her for some time and determined she was driving dangerously and over the speed limit.

The first four are normally struck out straight away, the last two will incur a fine, points or a road ban depending on whatever she did.

IMO she must have done something earlier on, otherwise they would just give points and a fine. The traffic corps generally don't bother telling you what you did wrong as their usually in a hurry

craichoe wrote:
    Did they tell her to produce her license and insurance in a Garda Station ?
    If she doesn't, or produces it in the wrong one she'll get the following Summon's

Failure to produce License
    Failure to produce Insurance
    No License
    No Insurance
    Dangerous Driving
    Careless Driving

Thats the standard ones they whack out anyways. They were probably following her for some time and determined she was driving dangerously and over the speed limit.

The first four are normally struck out straight away, the last two will incur a fine, points or a road ban depending on whatever she did.

IMO she must have done something earlier on, otherwise they would just give points and a fine. The traffic corps generally don't bother telling you what you did wrong as their usually in a hurry

nope they only stopped her for doing 130 in a 100 zone, 2 years ago i was done for doing 85 in a 50 zone, i got 80 quid fine and 2 points, no summons.

i think she was hard done by if she does get a summons and ends up with 4 points....come on at that hour of the night who doesnt do more than 100kph on the M50

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

jon1981 wrote:
    hi,

a freind of mine was pulled over about this time last night by an unmarked garda car on the m50. she was doing ~130 (so the gards say) in a 100 kph zone. they said she will recieve a summons in the post.

are they only trying to scare her you think? arent they meant to prove she was speeding by showing her the camera in the car? also why did she get a summons over a fine? anyone got experience of this?

cheers

well it could be the fact that she was not in fact in the 100 zone but on the 60 stretch of the m50 and then she was over double the speed limit so a summons is what she will receive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jonny24ie wrote:
    well it could be the fact that she was not in fact in the 100 zone but on the 60 stretch of the m50 and then she was over double the speed limit so a summons is what she will receive!!
    That seems very plausible. OP, was it in the roadworks section?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the Gardai deem that the person's speeding constitues a gross breach of the law, they can skip the fine and go straight to a summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

jon1981 wrote:
    ....come on at that hour of the night who doesnt do more than 100kph on the M50
    I don't. If I'm in the 60 zone, I do 60....80 zone, I do 80 and so on. Thousands speed every day on the M50, through dangerously laid out lanes and interchanges, endagering those of us who follow the rules of the road and comply with our legal obligations. Just because you and the OP's friend see fit to join the masses who willfully break those laws, don't presume you're any less in the wrong for doing so. I'm not on a high-horse here....I hate the 60kph sections southbound on the M7 past Naas for example, and really struggle to keep my speed at the limit there, but the M50 is a different story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jon1981 wrote:
    come on at that hour of the night who doesnt do more than 100kph on the M50

People who realise they are travelling in a compactible tube of flimsy metal maybe.
    Once you have an accident and realise exactly how powerless you are over the stupidity of other drivers you will become infinitely more cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

High horse brigade out in force today. There are actually 120kph sections on the M50 you know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stark wrote:
    High horse brigade out in force today. There are actually 120kph sections on the M50 you know.

Yes but people only pointed out that it could have been the 60 section. None of us know because they didn't say exactly where on the m50 this happened and since they said its a 100 area that could be leaving tallaght southbound or heading towards tallaght northbound. If they were going southbound the gardai could have been tailing them for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Stark wrote:
    Although the OP did clearly state
    jon1981 wrote:
    she was doing ~130 (so the gards say) in a 100 kph zone.

jonny24ie wrote:

nope she comes off the m50 before that bit starts, as i said it was the 100kph section, anyway the the 60kph has a fixed camera anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

jon1981 wrote:
    nope she comes off the m50 before that bit starts, as i said it was the 100kph section, anyway the the 60kph has a fixed camera anyway!
    yeah, but just 'cos there is a fixed camera dosen't mean it is active.

I would tell her not to worry about it, its not like she is going to prison. So she might get some points and a fine, it's not exactly the end of the world now is it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jon1981 wrote:
    thats crap! so they could in fact exaggerate the speed you were doing and that fiction would be taking in court...im thinking she might never here of it again, but shes worrying no end about it.
    Gardai never lie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Stark wrote:
    If you're a good bit over the speed limit, you get a summons and 4 points on conviction instead of the 2 points. But I thought you had to be 40-50% over the limit.

Thats not true stark. if a person is caught speeding a garda has to issue a ticket thru the fcps (fixed charge processing system). If this ticket is not paid within 56 days then a summons is issued.

A summons cannot be issued for speeding on its own without goin thru the fcps.

Also the garda does not have to show u the camera but it is courteous.

also to mr. pudding. im not 100% but im 99% sure the garda has to prove the speedometer on a car has been calibrated within the last 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

jon1981 wrote:
    i think she was hard done by if she does get a summons and ends up with 4 points....come on at that hour of the night who doesnt do more than 100kph on the M50
    Me ;) Where the limit is 120, I'll go 120.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DonJose wrote:
    Me ;) Where the limit is 120, I'll go 120.
    And not creep over it once? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

on another note, i was stopped by undercover police on friday night on mobile phone in the car was in a housing estate. phone fell out of car kit when i went to answer it!

pulled over and they came running up to the car, one with gun out and my passenger door was unlocked. door straight open and torch in face for a bit of interrogation with garda pretty much fully in my car looking around! talk about over the top!

gave them my license and they checked my tax and insurance and told me they would let me off with a caution for being on the phone.

/me fully expects points in the post for this....

Advertisement