Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbikes between lanes??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

faceman wrote:
    with all the down with bikers posts etc, bear in mind that like car drivers, there are the good ones and the looney tunes.

Agreed, and further to your observation, it seems to me the better protected the road user the higher proportion of loony ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Will the new laws on exhaust noise affect bikers as well?
    Sitting in slow traffic in a car, you generally hear a bike approaching before you see it.
    If the noise law applies then, it's bad news for bikers (from a safety viewpoint).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MrPudding wrote:
    Agreed. Funnily IAM don't like you doing this as you don't have an escape route.

The escape route is 120bhp to the rear wheel :D

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

There seems to be two kinds of people on this thread.

The ones that sit in sweaty cars for hours and the ones that are smart enough to get a bike and drive around the problem :)

This is a pointless question. By the op.
    Who cares who is at fault when there is a Dead person lying 20 yards up the road. Will you sleep better at night knowing it was not your fault that someone died in an accident you were in.

Simple - Bikers will filter, Cars will pull out - ALWAYS

Bikers watch for cars Pulling out - one thing you can be sure of is that one WILL.

Cars watch for Bikers - one think you can be sure of is that they will filter, most car drivers Don't look for bikers.

You are all people with lives, wives, husbands and children. Killing you matters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

the guy filtering a 50mph is an idiot. There is no way either of you could react in avoiding an accident. Filtering can be done safely at lower speeds. There is no way a car driver could be expected to see this biker even if they check the mirrors and blind spot. filtering in itself is not illegal although you can be done for dangerous driving like anyone else.

some bikers are idiots breaking rules and doing dangerous things. Sitting in blind spots and speeding being the most common. Most Gardai will turn a blind eye to bikes in the bus lane if they are safe and avoid impeding buses. They will pull you for anything else that a car will be pulled for.

Loud exhausts don't have any safety benefits.Unless you gain some power I don't see the point in these exhausts. They're only loud from behind. A loud horn is much better. I use an air horn.

In a crash a biker is likely to be badly killed or injured compared to a car driver. Alot of biker die due to their own mistakes too. Mainly leaving the road on a bend. How many times have we heard it was gravel, manure etc on a bend that meant I left the road? Probably as many times as a sorry I didn't see you from a car driver.

We all know the risks of being on a bike but I hate hearing of these idiots taking even worse risks and giving everyone a bad rep. Ending rant now.......

Sorry all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have to say i get a bit nervous with Bikers behind me, cause i can't tell what they are going to do next. Was merging on to the N11 at the southern cross exit a while bike (indicated well in advance) and while i was pulling into the lane, a biker ripped down the slip behind me and pulled out from behind to where i was positioning my car, had to swerve back in to avoid hitting him.

However, incidents like this have made me a lot more aware of bikers. I constantly keep checking the rear view mirror when driving to see if there are any behind me. On a motorway, if I see one coming up quick, I will move to either the left or right of the lane (depending on which lane I am in) so that there is more space in the middle of the lane for them to buzz by. Would hate to clip a rider, my fault or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A car doesnt have to be overtaking or switching lanes to hit a biker. What if the car is moving to the edge of his lane without actually leavign the lane but a biker has decided to overtake the car in the cars lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't have a problem with bikes filtering. But what seem to happen a lot when I'm on the m50 is bikes undertake me as I am overtaking other cars. Sooo dangerous. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

This is a pointless question. By the op.
    Who cares who is at fault when there is a Dead person lying 20 yards up the road. Will you sleep better at night knowing it was not your fault that someone died in an accident you were in.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

the guy filtering a 50mph is an idiot. There is no way either of you could react in avoiding an accident

He barely did, as did i, when he jinked out he had to lean..... thats how quick he was going.

Like I said, i dont mind them doing it, and even at speed I always move over for them, but I always give bigger yokes on the road a bit more respect... a truck will crush me, and i would crush a biker!

• Advertisement
Advertisement