Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAL's and Win XP Pro

• 05-09-2007 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused here. If I set up a Windows domain via Windows Server 2003 or similar, and I add Windows XP Pro (or similar) workstations to the domain, do I need to purchase a CAL for each workstation I add to the domain.

I'm reading the Microsoft CAL guide

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/lic_cal.mspx

and it doesn't mention XP. Am I correct then in thinking that I only need to purchase CAL's if the clients use the applications listed on the CAL guide webpage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Hi there ever workstation needs its own licence, but also ever pc/workstation needs a CAL on the server to allow the pc's access info from the server

if you have a SBS server these CALS include access to File/Exchange

SBS premium sever with CALS allow SQL access CALS also

if your going for a standard server with 10 pc's and have Exchange and SQL

you would need 10 windows CALS
    10 Exchange CALS
    10 SQL CALS

this is the most expensive way but it depends on the size of your business and how many servers you need

SBS server contain all on the one box, single point of failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

On the server, if your XP clients need to authenticate to read/write to files/print on the server, then they need a CAL.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that though.
    There's user, device and server CALs. And you decide what type of cal you want to use at installation, without being able to change between them if your business changes.

If your company has
    More than one PC per user, remote access, then USER cals may be most appropriate.
    PCs used by people working in shifts, Device cals will probably be appropriate.
    no VPN, 1 PC per user, no shift work, then it's a tossup between user and device cals.
    Server cals are for when you can guarantee that only a section of your users/devices will use a service
    simultaneously, and you want to cut down on the cost of CALs.

If you plan on getting more than one windows server in future then these change.
    I prefer user CALs for 9-6 office set-ups but other opinions will vary.

I guess that the actual connection to the SYSVOL/netlogon shares during authentication don't count as they're anonymous, but could be wrong.

Advertisement