Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flair Quits?

• 05-09-2007 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

Seen this on the TWC Fight forums, not sure if it's true or not?
    Wade Keller is reporting that Ric Flair quit WWE this week due to being frustrated with his push and the lack of encouraging communication from management.

Both sides are apparently already trying to work things out.

Flair's decision to quit doesn't appear to have anything to do with the recent suspensions.

TNA is said to be aware of Flair's decision to quit WWE and is interested in possibly trying to get him to come in for the launch of the two hour Impact in October.

Credit: PWTorch.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

more on this story:

Although the story did not break until Tuesday, WrestlingObserver.com reports that Ric Flair gave notice to WWE sometime around August 21.

As reported, Flair's decision to quit is related to his lack of a push; the recent drug scandal apparently had nothing to do with his giving notice.

WWE reportedly offered Flair a "major program" in exchange for his agreement to stay on board. At press time, however, the two sides had not worked out a deal and, as the Observer says, "nobody except perhaps Flair knows where things stand at this moment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Lack of a push? I like Flair but in all fairness, what kind of a push does a withered man of 59(?) years of age expect? Its going beyond credibility that he is even wrestling anymore, never mind receiving a big push. As I have stated before, I think his physique is awful and he has reached the end of the line in what he can achieve in his career. Its time for Flair to let go and move over for younger talent. I will probably buy the Ric Flair DVD but the legacy that has been chronicled on it is being ruined by him just not letting go and remembering him the way he was at his best. People give Hogan sh1t for not leaving the business but Flair really is taking the biscuit. How long does he expect to go? Till his 70's? Why cant he be a manager or a general manager? He revolutionised in-ring performances, why can he not now attempt to rejuvenate the lost art of managing? He has plenty more to give, but my feeling is that Ric Flairs love affair with the wrestling business runs deeper than his realisation that the end might be soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really saw Flair as a cruiserweight champ when he moved to Smackdown. He should get some push before he retires and keep in mind when he was on Raw he was on TV all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Bubs101 wrote:
    I really saw Flair as a cruiserweight champ when he moved to Smackdown. He should get some push before he retires and keep in mind when he was on Raw he was on TV all the time.

Surely you mean United States Champ. Couldn't see him fitting in the cruiserweight division. I think they probably though about giving him the United States Champonship but MVP has been doing a really god job with it, and his feud with Hardy is one of if not the best feud going at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'd like to see Flair go to TNA for a bit .... hook him up with Sting again and let the two tear the house down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

forbesii wrote:
    Lack of a push? I like Flair but in all fairness, what kind of a push does a withered man of 59(?) years of age expect? Its going beyond credibility that he is even wrestling anymore, never mind receiving a big push. As I have stated before, I think his physique is awful and he has reached the end of the line in what he can achieve in his career. Its time for Flair to let go and move over for younger talent.

Replace Ric Flair with Hulk Hogan and i'll agree with you 100%. But that doesn't stop WWE from ramming an out of shape, hasbeen Hogan (or Undertaker for that matter) down our throats every bloody year!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Now usually I won't care about Flair he was great but he's well past it. But I want to see him in the Hall Of Fame and with a possible retirement match at WM24, so they better sort it out, Selfish?

EdK wrote:
    Now usually I won't care about Flair he was great but he's well past it. But I want to see him in the Hall Of Fame and with a possible retirement match at WM24, so they better sort it out, Selfish?

I'd say one more run with the world heavyweight title beforehand. It doesn't need to be a long run, plus one of the younger guys who can put down the fact that they beat Flair for it would be a big thing to have on a wrestling CV!

Think about it!
    VR!

A month long run like Hogan was would be enough

Flair can't discredit the title anyway even if he was 70, because Khali has held it

Flair should not get the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

forbesii wrote:

Yeah, think about what might happen? People might actually care and be positively and emotionally involved in wrestling for the first time in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah the Rocky angle. it's just crazy enough to work!

Yeah, think about what might happen? People might actually care and be positively and emotionally involved in wrestling for the first time in ages.

why the sarcasm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

forbesii wrote:
    As I have stated before, I think his physique is awful

Yeah, isn't it a pity he isn't steroided up like everyone else?

The thing that has bothered me immensely over the last few years with Flair is that WWE clearly don't want him cutting promos. He can still deliver some of the best around, like that one he did backstage with Carlito on Raw. Everyone was talking about it for the whole week, people loved it. But when he started feuding with Carlito he didn't get a second on the mic, it was ridiculous. He definitely should have been given more mic time, a lot of his promos probably would have been better than some of the matches he's had

Think about it though. If Flair is handing in his notice because of a lack of a push, it makes sense. I doubt it's down to greediness or selfishness. He's 58, why should he be on the road full time if he's not being appreciated and contributing something?

forbesii wrote:

Real constructive there boss, care to elaborate?
    Seriously, your reasons, physique and age are not legitimate ones. He's no worse off than Hogan! Flair for a one month run would give that belt some credibility because Batista, Khali and Rey freakin' Mysterio have run it into the ground!

And as i said, whoever pins Flair for the belt, will earn the reputation of defeating Flair for the title.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Cactus Col wrote:
    I'd like to see Flair go to TNA for a bit .... hook him up with Sting again and let the two tear the house down!
    That works good on paper but I could see it stinking up the joint in reality. Flair would be nuts to walk out before the chance of a retirement program and a Hall of Fame induction.

If he did go though, he should definitely do a double shot in ROH, ala Ricky Steamboat in 2004. He wouldn't have to fight, just be there. Or fight Danielson, it's win win anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

59 YEARS OLD. It makes a mockery of our noble sport that a man of that age is still in the ring.

Slightly OT, I saw a DVD box set, Flair and The Horsemen. Is it worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Definitely worth buying, I've watched it twice and love it.

I don't buy the "Flair is too old" line. Randy Couture is 45 years old and he's destroying guys in their 20's in the UFC. Wrestling is able to stretch the boundaries even more because of it being scripted. It's not unbelievable to me that one of the best wrestlers ever can still beat a guy half his age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Wasn't Flair out because of soreness in his ear that had gotten worse recently? and couldn't wrestle because of it? which would explain the lack of a push lately since he has only been seen in one backstage segment in the "Who's the daddy?" storyline.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    Yeah, isn't it a pity he isn't steroided up like everyone else?

Did I mention steroids? Did I for one minute suggest gear was required to be a holder of that belt? When you find that quote and attribute it to me, I'll stand down. For the record I hate Lashley and Batista as champions. Flairs physique is old, haggard and frail. It goes beyond credibility that he could be portrayed as an athlete who is at the top of his game. He had his time 16 times. Randy Couture beats men half his age because it is obvious from looking at him that he keeps his body in peak physical condition. Can you same the same about Flair? Wrestling can stretch credibility but that certainly does not account for the 14 year age gap between Flair and Couture either way. I was watching RAW about a year ago and my father walked in and saw Flair wrestling on screen. He broke his backside laughing at him "trying to stumble around the ring at that age". I felt really offended and that along with various Eugene moments have made me question why I even watch something so ridiculous. But for some reason I still do.

As for you VR, I find you so constantly annoying that you can just dig an answer for your question out of the one above.

forbesii wrote:
    Did I mention steroids? Did I for one minute suggest gear was required to be a holder of that belt?

My point is that he's 58 years old. He's in better shape than most 58 year olds, so I see no reason why you can complain about his physique. The only way he's going to get a great body now is by using steroids. Anyway, Flair is widely recognised as one of the best wrestlers ever, but he never did have a great body

I've got no problem with someone of Flair's stature taking up tv time. Who'll be using that tv time otherwise? Deuce & Domino? Chuck Palumbo? Kane? Khali, Batista, I'd rather see Flair than any of those guys, and when it's put like that I really don't understand why WWE wouldn't give Flair more tv time

EDIT: Just an extra couple of lines that PWInsider have reported that I haven't read here yet:
    Part of the problem is stemming from personal issues involving his children. This is said to have had an overall effect on his mood.

forbesii wrote:
    As for you VR, I find you so constantly annoying that you can just dig an answer for your question out of the one above.

I love you too :o
    Too bad i couldn't find an answer out of your drivel as none of it made sense, so lets just come to the conclusion that you hate Flair so much that it has clouded your judgment to the point where you don't know what would be good for WWE in it's current state.

Especially when you think physique is the be all and end all of a wrestler, i'd hate to have seen you watching it in the 70s!
    VR!

Fozzy wrote:
    My point is that he's 58 years old. He's in better shape than most 58 year olds, so I see no reason why you can complain about his physique. The only way he's going to get a great body now is by using steroids. Anyway, Flair is widely recognised as one of the best wrestlers ever, but he never did have a great body

I've got no problem with someone of Flair's stature taking up tv time. Who'll be using that tv time otherwise? Deuce & Domino? Chuck Palumbo? Kane? Khali, Batista, I'd rather see Flair than any of those guys, and when it's put like that I really don't understand why WWE wouldn't give Flair more tv time

EDIT: Just an extra couple of lines that PWInsider have reported that I haven't read here yet:

I am not talking aesthetics here! I dont care if he looks beautiful or not. It doesn't matter if he never had the great body that others had. He was the best in the business. He WAS. He looks every bit a 59 year old man and men of his age don't dominate their sports, let alone take part. If they were able to create the illusion that Flair was at the top of his game, then give him the belt! But he has become so limited in the ring and its becoming painful watching him trying to wrestle. He's not much younger than my grandfather FFS!

Stealing my material..... tut tut

I love you too :o
    Too bad i couldn't find an answer out of your drivel as none of it made sense, so lets just come to the conclusion that you hate Flair so much that it has clouded your judgment to the point where you don't know what would be good for WWE in it's current state.

Especially when you think physique is the be all and end all of a wrestler, i'd hate to have seen you watching it in the 70s!
    VR!

Yeah its terrible when people dont agree with you isnt it. Just to elminate you from conversation: Flair is the best wrestler in WWE. Now go back to bed and stop being yourself.

forbesii wrote:
    I am not talking aesthetics here! I dont care if he looks beautiful or not. It doesn't matter if he never had the great body that others had. He was the best in the business. He WAS. He looks every bit a 59 year old man and men of his age don't dominate their sports, let alone take part. If they were able to create the illusion that Flair was at the top of his game, then give him the belt! But he has become so limited in the ring and its becoming painful watching him trying to wrestle. He's not much younger than my grandfather FFS!

He's far from limited in the ring though! Also WWE have a lot of say what their workers do in the ring. People say Hogan is limited in the ring, but if you find his Japan stuff, you'll find he's quite the opposite. So your argument holds no water there.

Personally i find Flair vs a broomstick last week easier on the eyes than Cena v Khali, or Batista v Khali, or Mizark v Khali or whoever WWE are gonna force down our throats for a 'Legit title match'

Moves aren't everything either. Hogan and Warrior were working with limited movesets in 1990, didn't stop them from producing a damn good main event that still holds up 17 years later.

VR!

forbesii wrote:
    Yeah its terrible when people dont agree with you isnt it. Just to elminate you from conversation: Flair is the best wrestler in WWE. Now go back to bed and stop being yourself.

Oh i think i'm gonna cry. Forbesii once again can't have a decent debate without getting personal.

Shame really, must have been all that time sitting on your grandfathers lap that has made you all angsty.

VR!

Oh i think i'm gonna cry. Forbesii once again can't have a decent debate without getting personal.

Shame really, must have been all that time sitting on your grandfathers lap that has made you all angsty.

VR!

Yeah good one. I think you've had an arguement with nearly everyone who posts here. Or at least offended them. Coincidentally your the only person I have ever argued with in here. Funny that.

• Advertisement

forbesii wrote:
    Yeah good one. I think you've had an arguement with nearly everyone who posts here. Or at least offended them. Coincidentally your the only person I have ever argued with in here. Funny that.

You can call it an arguement all you want, i call it a discussion.
    On a similar note, you're the only one that seems to believe that Flair is worthless now.

Surely we can't ALL be wrong can we?
    Oh wait, it's forbesii the great... excuse me while i roll out the red f*cking carpet!

Seriously, your posts make kentonbombs posts seem intelligent!
    VR!

You can call it an arguement all you want, i call it a discussion.
    On a similar note, you're the only one that seems to believe that Flair is worthless now.

Surely we can't ALL be wrong can we?
    Oh wait, it's forbesii the great... excuse me while i roll out the red f*cking carpet!

Seriously, your posts make kentonbombs posts seem intelligent!
    VR!

I know. When people dont agree with you, you tend to attack. I'd hate to know you in real life. Hate to.

Leave out the personal stuff or you'll get banned
    forbesii wrote:
    He looks every bit a 59 year old man and men of his age don't dominate their sports, let alone take part. If they were able to create the illusion that Flair was at the top of his game, then give him the belt! But he has become so limited in the ring and its becoming painful watching him trying to wrestle. He's not much younger than my grandfather FFS!

I won't say that he's the best around, as his match with Carlito at a ppv a while back was dreadful. But it was still not as bad as Khali vs Batista. In relative terms, if WWE see fit to push Khali and Batista as the two best wrestlers on SD, then Flair deserves a push as well. He's not on top of his game, but Khali and Batista probably are and they're still woeful. The majority of fans still love Flair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is an incredibly smart move by Ric Flair regardless of your thoughts on him. WWE is well and truly f*cked right now with huge stars missing through injury and more being laid off through suspensions. Flair knows his worth and by threatening to leave he can likely get a big push out of this situation.

I personally would love to see Flair get one last big run with the title. It could be similar to the Mick Foley storyline of 2000 only with Flair actually winning. Then let him drop it to a star of the future and take his place in the Hall of Fmae. Come on, it practically writes itself.

But we're not talking about me though, we are talking about you, and how you seem to want to force your belief that Flair is rubbish and should quit now right down everyone's throat. Go and read through this entire thread. And having a statement like "Flair should not get the title" is going to get questions asked (Fozzy called you on it too, go give him some slack, bitch!) when you don't provide any substance or reasoning.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

this is really bad news for the WWE seeing as Flair is so over; but not certainly not unexpected, Flair will never be happy playing second fiddle to anyone or being so low down the card as he currently is :(

One more run with the title would have been nice to see; even a major program with Khali (a sort of David versus Goliath angle) would have been a nice way to end it (Flair would pull off the David bit a little better than Mysterio imo).

I wonder where this currently leaves Flair's proposed Hall of Fame induction next year :confused:

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    Leave out the personal stuff or you'll get banned

ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

So is flair actually gone?

rossie1977 wrote:
    One more run with the title would have been nice to see; even a major program with Khali (a sort of David versus Goliath angle) would have been a nice way to end it (Flair would pull off the David bit a little better than Mysterio imo).

I actually think that could work as well, the question is, which up and coming heel would be ready to take the belt from him?

Long term planning... yep, it's a bitch! ;)
    VR!

This is an incredibly smart move by Ric Flair regardless of your thoughts on him. WWE is well and truly f*cked right now with huge stars missing through injury and more being laid off through suspensions. Flair knows his worth and by threatening to leave he can likely get a big push out of this situation.

Opinions on his current ability aside, I agree that he could and should probably exploit this situation as best he can. But it has taken something this drastic to get him noticed again unfortunately.

I don't think he intended it like this, but it's put him in a better situation. It's been reported that he handed in his notice on the 21st of August, which was more than a week before the suspensions were made. If WWE have offered him a big push then I'm sure he'll make the most of it if he decides to stay

Jericho is a name that pops into my head when I think of someone who could beat Flair and make use of it

• Advertisement

forbesii wrote:
    Opinions on his current ability aside, I agree that he could and should probably exploit this situation as best he can. But it has taken something this drastic to get him noticed again unfortunately.

That's how a lot of pushes happened though. Go back to WWE in 1988. They had no intention of putting the world title belt on Savage at Wrestlemania, in fact Ted DiBiase was promised that slot. But Honky refused to drop the IC title belt and in response Savage to threatened to shoot on Honky on live TV. So he was given the run to keep things calm.

Speaking of Honky, he wasn't slated to get the IC title belt (and then become the "greatest IC champion of all time"), he got the nod because One Man Gang no showed the card!

Rambling aside, my point is sometimes it takes desperate situations for a title run to take place, that doesn't stop them from being great title runs, which both of the examples i used were (disclaimer for the oversensitive!: in MY honest opinion).

VR!

Fozzy wrote:
    Jericho is a name that pops into my head when I think of someone who could beat Flair and make use of it

My fear there is that WWE screw that up. Jericho got his last WWE title defeating two of the biggest names in the business.

VR!

VR; WWE screws everything up eventually :p

Flair and Jericho at Summerslam 2002 wasn't too bad, not great but a good match. But five years on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Fozzy wrote:
    I don't buy the "Flair is too old" line. Randy Couture is 45 years old and he's destroying guys in their 20's in the UFC. Wrestling is able to stretch the boundaries even more because of it being scripted. It's not unbelievable to me that one of the best wrestlers ever can still beat a guy half his age

I totally agree with you.The hypocracy of flair being too old to wrestle but randy being a hero to win the title at 45 disgusts me.
    It will be a sad day in wrestling when the naitch decides to lace up his boots for the last time.I LOVE his promos and I was hoping that once he moved to smackdown,he would get more mic time and hopefully teach some of the other guys on smackdown a thing or two about cutting promos.How a guy at 59 years old puts on such great wrestling match is beyond me.Its hard to find any of the younger guys that show as much charisma as he does when hes in the ring.

fatal wrote:
    I totally agree with you.The hypocracy of flair being too old to wrestle but randy being a hero to win the title at 45 disgusts me.
    It will be a sad day in wrestling when the naitch decides to lace up his boots for the last time.I LOVE his promos and I was hoping that once he moved to smackdown,he would get more mic time and hopefully teach some of the other guys on smackdown a thing or two about cutting promos.How a guy at 59 years old puts on such great wrestling match is beyond me.Its hard to find any of the younger guys that show as much charisma as he does when hes in the ring.

The difference is though, is that Randy is doing it for real. I doubt he will be a title holder, or even fighting when he is 59?

forbesii wrote:
    The difference is though, is that Randy is doing it for real. I doubt he will be a title holder, or even fighting when he is 59?

That's the beauty of wrestling though. You can stretch boundaries and limitations to create emotional stories that otherwise wouldn't be possible

Fozzy wrote:
    That's the beauty of wrestling though. You can stretch boundaries and limitations to create emotional stories that otherwise wouldn't be possible

I guess I just rather the more realistic approach. Wrestling struggles for credibility quite often and I hate seeing people put it down. Having said that I'm a Taker mark, but I like to tell myself that his "superpowers" are what Mr. Kennedy says: A load of hocus pocus.

It's hard to take a realistic approach to wrestling, and i too hate seeing it being put down. But the direction WWE has taken it in the past five years, they only have themselves for the lack of credibility. I've pointed these out before, but lets go through some of them again.

Billy & Chuck and the gay wedding angle of doom
    Katie Vick and HHH the Necrophiliac
    HHH: The Racist
    The John Cena/Stephanie McMahon spank of doom
    Indecent Proposal Match. which ended up with Jamie Noble with Nidia, Torrie... and Billy Gunn??
    Summerslam Diva Dodgeball 2004
    Dawn Marie and Al Wilson
    Undertaker is now a badass, no wait, i've been buried alive again, now i'm a deadman again!
    Mini Fini and Mini Boogeyman

As much as i love wrestling, it's because of the above BS that i have listed that makes it very difficult to take a realistic appoach to it.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

so Sexual Chocolate and the transvestite, or Mae Young giving birth adds to the realism ;)

One of my favourite angles was the Dudleyz getting over as total dicks by powerbombing every women they could - loved the one they performed with Mae Young, apparantly that tough old boot actually took the bump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0po_Fx-oHT0

WWE will never take pro-wrestling seriously as long as Kevin Dunn is pulling the strings. Having Flair champ at 58 is alot better than some of the sh**e that guy considers good SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement