Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flair Quits?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness the comparisons between Couture and Flair are insane. One is in peak shape, the other is resting on his laurels. Sure flair's move set is worse than Khali's. Slap, figure 4 um.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

as much as id love to see flair hold the title one last time,after all, its his belt , itd be more of a nostalgia thing than anything else, a spot in the hall of fame is long overdue but if he does continue to stay active in the business it should be as a manager rather than a wrestler, but do it well as opposed to carlitos waste of having the best ever in his corner

its sad that a whole generation of fans only know flair as that saggy old guy on raw who people shout "wooooo" at when he chops guys, to see flair in his prime fighting guys like harley race,rick steamboat,dusty rhodes and terry funk was a sight to behold, the fact that the stuff he was doing back in the early 80s pisses on the ideas creative are coming up with for some guys now is testament to how good he was, and how many matches from the 70s and 80s can you watch these days and not be embarrassed about? flair made it seem real when he was on top of his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It's hard to take a realistic approach to wrestling, and i too hate seeing it being put down. But the direction WWE has taken it in the past five years, they only have themselves for the lack of credibility. I've pointed these out before, but lets go through some of them again.

Exactly. If your looking for authentic realism, you've come to the wrong show. And arguably the greatest wrestler of all time winning the belt one last time would not be anywhere close to the most unrealistic thing they've ever done. And it would be cool.

It's probably one of the few things left the WWE could do off the top of my head that I'd really care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Im glad I have a couple of supporters on this subject now and Im just trying to reiterate my point that to the ordinary, unknowing man on the street who knows nothing about wrestling, seeing a fat, old and dicrepid champion makes wrestling a laughing stock and DETRACTS from its credibility as in: HA HA you watch wrestling type comments. Nobody has ever said to me: HA HA you watch UFC! Why? Becuase it doesn't lack credibility. We all love Flair, we all know what he achieved in the 70's, 80's and 90's and we know that justifies him a place in the HOF. BUT, him as champ really tears the arse out of things for me. For the likes of Taker, I'm hoping that he will not make the same mistake as Flair by sh1ting all over his legacy and I hope he quits in the next 2 years before his tits come down to his knees. Significantly enough his shape is great at the moment but he'll have to quit soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

forbesii wrote:
    Im glad I have a couple of supporters on this subject now and Im just trying to reiterate my point that to the ordinary, unknowing man on the street who knows nothing about wrestling, seeing a fat, old and dicrepid champion makes wrestling a laughing stock and DETRACTS from its credibility as in: HA HA you watch wrestling type comments.

So Flair shouldn't be on my tv because it doesn't come across well to non-wrestling fans? I couldn't care less what people who aren't fans of wrestling think when it comes to wrestling. If I did then I wouldn't be watching it at all. You've kinda lost me with that post, unless you let non-wrestling fans influence your opinion on wrestling

No I'm just trying to get across why he would not be a credible champion. We can be blinded by what a legend he is and say he deserves the belt, while an outsider would probably take it more at face value by giving a colder appraisal. However a champion should look like a champion. I'd be equally critical of Hornswagle being cruiser champ. Its become obvious to me after spending 4 hours arguing that neither of us is going to convince the other and we're just going round in circles.

EDIT: And I never said he shouldn't be on YOUR TV. I just said he shouldnt be champion.

forbesii wrote:
    No I'm just trying to get across why he would not be a credible champion. We can be blinded by what a legend he is and say he deserves the belt, while an outsider would probably take it more at face value by giving a colder appraisal. However a champion should look like a champion. I'd be equally critical of Hornswagle being cruiser champ. Its become obvious to me after spending 4 hours arguing that neither of us is going to convince the other and we're just going round in circles.

EDIT: And I never said he shouldnt be on YOUR TV. I just said he shouldnt be champion.

But you seem to take the opinion of people who don't watch the show into consideration when you're talking about who should be champ. I don't get that

Just sick of my Dad sayin thats a load of bull**** so yes.

Just say the same thing to him next time he's watching a film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

And i'm gonna be frank here forbesii, not sarcastic so don't take this the wrong way, but Fozzy's right. I do it the same thing for soccer fans.

Soccer fan: Wrestling is fake, it's gay, we know whos gonna win, why you watch it?:
    Me: Soccer has been known to be rigged? Serie A? Bruce Grobbelar, why you still watch it?

Soccer fan shuffles off in disgust, ftw :D
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I don't think there's any danger whatsoever of Flair being done with WWE for good. From his point of view theres the prospect of all the royalties he'l get from the use of his game on merch and DVD sales for years to come. And as has been mentioned by others WWE are so f****d for star power right now they'll bend over backwards to keep him sweet. And doubtless he'll have his pal HHH in his corner too.

As for a final push I would personally mark like a little bitch for one last Flair run at the top. It just needs a little clever booking and the right opponents and it WOULD work. You only have to look at the HHH Raw match a few years ago to see how a cleverly worked match that works to his strengths and masks his limitations can make for compelling viewing.

On the other hand there's a part of me would love to see what Danielson could do with Flair in a feud over the NWA title. Its never gonna happen but it sure would be interesting.......

Take Jake Roberts, he didn't have a lot in the way of a moveset, he wasn't even that great of a worker, but it for him it's a case of how he did it as opposed to what he did. It's the exact same with Flair. Both have one thing in common, both had unreal psychology (Flair still has) and knew exactly which buttons to press when it came to promos.

By the time match time came along, fans didn't care how, they just cared who.

VR!

flahavaj wrote:
    On the other hand there's a part of me would love to see what Danielson could do with Flair in a feud over the NWA title. Its never gonna happen but it sure would be interesting.......

One of them will have to beat Adam Pearce before that happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Take Jake Roberts, he didn't have a lot in the way of a moveset, he wasn't even that great of a worker, but it for him it's a case of how he did it as opposed to what he did. It's the exact same with Flair. Both have one thing in common, both had unreal psychology (Flair still has) and knew exactly which buttons to press when it came to promos.

By the time match time came along, fans didn't care how, they just cared who.

VR!
    The example i always give when it comes to moveset, or lack thereof is Lawler. It takes a far better worker to pop a crowd with a single punch than one who has to near kill himself with all kinds of flippy floppy stuff. And I've never seen a guy more over than Lawler was in Memphis back in the day.

And Fozzy, I'd presume Pearce is only keeping the belt warm for Dragon once his eye heals! Although now that you mention it Flair and Pearce would at the very least cut some savage old style promos on each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

My dad gives me **** about it too, yet he always pops up for the diva matches

He calls Flair a geriatric and stuff to get a rise out of me, I dont care enough either way I dont take it seriously

Flair can still pull off a match if he needs to like him vs Edge in the TLC

Hes smart enough not to bust his ass if he doesnt have to

I do think he's been around too long but I'm not opposed to him getting a run with the title if he takes it off the right person doesnt hold it too long and drops it to the right person.

FFS a useless 7ft Indian f*cker who doesn't even speak english and can't wrestle a lick has the belt, IT CANT GET WORSE

It does write itself Flair takes the title on a run gets inducted to the HOF and drops it in a blaze of glory then next night to the next big thing. (with Arn Anderson in his corner)

Perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

He can barley move anyore but he still throws a decent promo from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

forbesii wrote:
    No I'm just trying to get across why he would not be a credible champion. We can be blinded by what a legend he is and say he deserves the belt, while an outsider would probably take it more at face value by giving a colder appraisal. However a champion should look like a champion.

And what should a champion look like? Khali? Show that lumbering oaf to a non-wrestling fan and they'll wonder why you watch. At least Flair can entertain. It's the same with Rey Mysterio when he was the heavyweight champion. A non-wrestling fan might think, "he doesn't look like a champion" but he was one of the best wrestlers around and deserved a run.

I can't believe people think Ric Flair (Ric Flair of all people) is not worthy of being a champion. Hell he's more mobile than Hogan was when he won the belt in 2002. A short reign wouldn't do any harm at all to the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i would actually say the opposite, show khali to a non-wrestling/fight fan and they will say something along the lines of "who the hell would beat that guy", or "come on there is no way that little guy can beat the tall guy" My mother and aunt certainly say these things and they laugh when he does staredowns with Mysterio and cena etc.

Khali is alot like Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks from years gone by. they look the part but don't act it.

Nobody get me wrong here. Khali is rubbish. Flair is the greatest/second greatest. But rossie is right. Khali, for all his failings has the 'look' of a champion. His matches stink. For some reason I dont hate him but he is far from what would be expected of a WWE champion. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall now. I am not questioning Flairs legend, calibre, name, previous ability or status as one of the best. Who could? All I'm saying is he is not an ideal champion. With the predicament at the moment, he may well end up being one, but as far as I'm concerned his best days are well and truly gone. He's had it 16 times and should retire because he is ruining the image of the Ric Flair I grew up watching.

forbesii wrote:
    but as far as I'm concerned his best days are well and truly

That would be the whole point of an angle with Flair. His best days are behind him but could he have 1 more great day? People can relate to stories like that.

You would have his opponent, say a heel Batista sayings he's past it. He's no longer what he was and he's gonna hurt him bad. You could do backstage promos with wrestlers saying to Flair as great as he WAS he shouldn't go through with it for his own safety. His family are telling him not to do it too. Flair begins to question himself.

Out pops Arn Anderson (maybe bring in some of his former rivals too Steamboat, Rhodes etc...). Or you could do it with a younger wrestler who absolutely idolized Flair as a kid. They remind Flair what a legend he is and goes through with the match. He gets his ass kicked. He bleeds. But he doesn't give up. He fights back. He wins (small cradle or some light interference to protect Batista). Flair gets his 1 last moment with the belt. All the wrestlers from his past carry him around on his shoulders. We get a moment people will remember.

Or you could have Khali-Batista again? Take your pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Bubs101 wrote:
    In fairness the comparisons between Couture and Flair are insane. One is in peak shape, the other is resting on his laurels. Sure flair's move set is worse than Khali's. Slap, figure 4 um.....

I beg to differ.Both are light years ahead of any new talent that is put in front of them.We praised randy when he came out of retirement and beat sylvia.Everyone in the world at the time doubted that he would do it but it in the end it wasnt "bad for a old man".This is a guy who did not let age be a determining factor in the outcome of his fight against sylvia and gonzaga.

Look at flair and you see a 59 year old man who regularly allows his body to be hurled across the ring and in the last few years,been in brutal hardcore matches-also a guy that does not allow age to be a factor of what he can/cant do.If we though of this happening to our own fathers we would cringe at thought.Everytime he steps through those ropes he puts on a hell of show and performs with such charisma that often those that he wrestles against cant compete with even though they are half their age-similar to Randy couture who in his last two fights has outperformed those that were so much younger than him.

Its like both are on a different level!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

^ Thats what should happen!

Edit : I mean what Vince said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

That would be the whole point of an angle with Flair. His best days are behind him but could he have 1 more great day? People can relate to stories like that.

You would have his opponent, say a heel Batista sayings he's past it. He's no longer what he was and he's gonna hurt him bad. You could do backstage promos with wrestlers saying to Flair as great as he WAS he shouldn't go through with it for his own safety. His family are telling him not to do it too. Flair begins to question himself.

Out pops Arn Anderson (maybe bring in some of his former rivals too Steamboat, Rhodes etc...). Or you could do it with a younger wrestler who absolutely idolized Flair as a kid. They remind Flair what a legend he is and goes through with the match. He gets his ass kicked. He bleeds. But he doesn't give up. He fights back. He wins (small cradle or some light interference to protect Batista). Flair gets his 1 last moment with the belt. All the wrestlers from his past carry him around on his shoulders. We get a moment people will remember.

Or you could have Khali-Batista again? Take your pick.

Holy **** christ that would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

WWE should get some of ots creative team from here :)

i also think its a good idea. i still think flair should have retired years ago but the idea is good and would be enjoyable to watch.

forbesii wrote:
    i also think its a good idea. i still think flair should have retired years ago but the idea is good and would be enjoyable to watch.

I used to think like that (believe it or not!), i got so sick of Flair running in and ruining every decent HHH match, especially when it came to elimination chamber matches. But when i saw his program with HHH in 2005, i instantly became a Ric Flair official nuthugger.

Because when i had him down for the count, up he came.
    And it's hard not to respect that really, i'd have done the same for anyone.

VR!

Gerweck.net reports the following:
    Last week it was reported that Ric Flair was the latest WWE superstar to quit WWE. This past weekend, Flair was on Charlotte radio show "Prime Time with The Packman" and denied that he was gone from WWE. Did Flair quit WWE or not?

Ric Flair did give his notice to WWE on or around 8/20.

As you may have guessed, Flair was upset because he's being underutilized. Several months ago, Flair was promised a storyline where he would chase the world title for one final run. It was actually Stone Cold Steve Austin who came up with the idea to have Flair do a "Rocky Balboa" storyline, where the over-the-hill legend made one final run at greatness.

Austin pitched the plan to Vince & Stephanie McMahon and they loved. it. Flair was obviously on board when he heard about it. Flair was not promised that he'd win the title, but was told he may get the gold if the storyline caught on.

For whatever reason, WWE never followed through with the angle. Flair gave his notice to WWE as a wake up call that he doesn't want to be misused at this point in his career.

At this time, he is still under contract and still getting paid by WWE. Most people within WWE expect Flair to return to the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Cactus Col wrote:
    I'd like to see Flair go to TNA for a bit .... hook him up with Sting again and let the two tear the house down!
    Flair wont be and hasnt torn anything down in ages. He's ridiculously old and needs to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I wanna see Flair as champ one more time! If the angle was booked right and he wrestled the right guys (i.e. Triple H, Cena, Edge, HBK and Undertaker) he could have a great run as champ and it would be a fitting end to his career.

Minto wrote:
    I wanna see Flair as champ one more time! If the angle was booked right and he wrestled the right guys (i.e. Triple H, Cena, Edge, HBK and Undertaker) he could have a great run as champ and it would be a fitting end to his career.

You see Flair genuninely beating any of those guys? I'm afraid I can't. We'd be having to have run-ins every week to get him through any of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Speaking of Honky, he wasn't slated to get the IC title belt (and then become the "greatest IC champion of all time"), he got the nod because One Man Gang no showed the card!

Think you might be wrong here old chap, i've heard this one, but i believe the story goes it was Butch Reed who was penciled in for the belt (And some people, including the Natural himself, say this was not even the case)

The Gang only debuted in May of '87, i seriously doubt he was no showing events by the following month when Honky won the belt (If he was, then Vinny Mac was a lot more lenient with his punishments back then, because the Gang enjoyed a pretty good push for most of that year), and i also doubt he was in contention for winning a title so soon as well (title wins by newbies was pretty much unheard of back then)

D-FENS wrote:
    Think you might be wrong here old chap, i've heard this one, but i believe the story goes it was Butch Reed who was penciled in for the belt (And some people, including the Natural himself, say this was not even the case)

The Gang only debuted in May of '87, i seriously doubt he was no showing events by the following month when Honky won the belt (If he was, then Vinny Mac was a lot more lenient with his punishments back then, because the Gang enjoyed a pretty good push for most of that year), and i also doubt he was in contention for winning a title so soon as well (title wins by newbies was pretty much unheard of back then)

Yeah you're right, it was Reed. I don't know what i was thinking with that. Reed was released a few months after that no-show, his last televised appearance was on challenge a couple of weeks after Wrestlemania VI and then he went to WCW to form Doom with Ron Simmons.

Also it was very last minute. Steamboat asked for time off to be with his expectant wife. Vince was pissed at this after giving him the title from Savage who had the belt for over a year previous to him and was just wanting to throw the belt on anyone just to get it off Steamboat.

VR!

forbesii wrote:
    You see Flair genuninely beating any of those guys? I'm afraid I can't. We'd be having to have run-ins every week to get him through any of those.

Undertaker, HBK and HHH would put Flair over easily out of respect for the guy if it was his last run.

VR!

Forbesii - Like VR said, all the guys I mentioned would easily put Flair over in his last run. Many of them are only in this business because of Ric Flair, they would be honored to do the job for 'Naitch'!
    I mentioned their names because they are great wrestlers and would easily have great matches. I think its only fair that Flair should have great matches in his last run.

Minto wrote:
    I mentioned their names because they are great wrestlers and would easily have great matches. I think its only fair that Flair should have great matches in his last run.

I'm not sure Flair is capable of a good match anymore. Honestly I think he stinks the joint from the minute his entrance ends until the bell.

forbesii, I can see where you're coming from, but in fairness, it's not like he's had a hell of a lot to work with in the past year, be it storylines or talent. Trust me, Flair can still pull one more big run off. You don't forget how to work in the wrestling business...

... ok maybe, if you're Scott Steiner.

VR!

... ok maybe, if you're Scott Steiner.

VR!

i like that. :D

I know Flair used to be able to have a 5 star match with a broom and now he seems a bit passed it. But I know in my heart that he could pull it off again, as I've said, he just needs to be booked with guys who will make him look good!

Its about booking him with the right guys and booking him in the right story. Of course he can still have matches that people will get into. Especially if you let him talk.

• Advertisement

Its about booking him with the right guys and booking him in the right story. Of course he can still have matches that people will get into. Especially if you let him talk.

Something WWE seem to have a big problem with lately, yet they'll ram Cena's **** promos and his gay jokes down our throats each week!

The mind boggles.
    VR!

Advertisement