Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennel Aftermath

Options
  • 05-09-2007 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I put my very small terrier type dog into kennels for 4 days last weekend. She's never been to kennels before - a family member would normally take her if I go away. The kennels were recommended and I visited them first. When I collected her, she was a little dazed looking but soon was her old self again. In fact she was in top form though I thought she looked a little thin. When we got home she drank piles of water. Then I weighed her. She lost 1 kilo! She only weighed 7 kilos (now she is 6 kg). The first night home was grand. Then yesterday evening, she peed on the carpet after being out for a long walk. When I came downstairs this morning, she had made a terrible mess in the room where she sleeps. Projectile diarrhoea and wee. Did she catch a bug or is she experiencing post traumatic stress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could be either or both or something else.

Hurry up to the vet, dehydration due to diarrhoea is not to be taken lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Thanks Peasant. I'm keeping an eye on her. Her appetite is fine and she has been drinking water. Unfortunately I have to leave her on her own for a few hours this afternoon and I hope that I don't came home to another mess! I might bring her for another walk before I go in the hope she does a poo - that way I can see if her tummy is still upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

We have had on occasion had to leave out Dog in kennels and she has always come back in a very sad state (lost weight, usually her bed is full of poo and she stinks to high heaven) none of these things are the kennel owners fault thou, she wont eat (or eats as much as she needs to survive) because she misses us and she poos in her bed because she's stressed.

Usually after a few days she's back to normal thou, but she does like to make us feel bad for a while first.

Like peasant said get her checked over to make sure she didn't catch anything ( although I am sure all dogs in kennels must have had their jabs so it's unlikely to be anything too serious), and after that maybe she is just releasing her stress so to speak .....

Have you ever noticed that when you yourself are going through a stressful time in life you never get sick but once the stress is removed and you start to relax you may start to get a cold or whatever ?

Hope she's ok x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fpmcaf

I agree with stcatherine, our dog gets really upset when u have to leave him in the kennels. They are really nice to him, but last time when we were leaving he started barking and whinging at us, because he realised what was happening, and didn't want to be left behind.

When we collect him he is always very excited to see us, but won't eat dinner or anything until he is sure we're not leaving him again.
    He is also a small dog, i think they tend to worry a lot more and are prone to stress / sickness. Maybe your dog didn't eat or drink much while in the kennels and is dehydrated now. I'd watch to make sure she is drinking normally again, otherwise bring her to the vet before she gets worse.

I totally agree stcatherine. I got someone to pick her up from the house while i am away for the afternoon and they said she is fine and no mess was made. I don't blame the kennels. Staying there is never going to be as good as being at home. As soon as I got her home from the kennels, I gave her a bath and the water ran clear. I think the kennels had also given her a bath! Two baths in one day! That's enough to stress any dog. She'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, we had a repeat this morning. Only worse. Diarrhoea, vomit, everything. On the way to the vets. I rang the kennels to see if she had been unwell and they said she was fine. Am a little worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Is your dog fully vaccinated?

Dogs can react to different foods etc. some are too rich for them.

For example my lab eats Burns Hight Oats but switch him over to Pedigree Chum and he will poo for Ireland - very runny!

Not much fun cleaning that up off your lino!

Could just be a bug though - possibly but probably not a poison issue. Dogs will develop diarrhea and vomiting after coming into contact with pesticides etc.

If there is blood in the stool then get help ASAP.

Don't blame the kennels - these things can happen.

Just make sure your lad is fully vaccinated and give them his own food when going to kennels the next time.

S

She is fully vaccinated, including Leptospirosis and kennel cough. Had to bring her to the vet this morning. He was shocked at her loss of condition. Her losing 1kg is equivalent to me losing 1 1/2 stones. In 4 days! The poor thing had 3 injections and we have some anti vomiting and anti diarrhoea tablets to give her tonight as well as a glucose/minerals liquid and an antibiotic to start tomorrow. She's not to eat until at least lunchtime tomorrow. And small amounts of water regularly.

I don't blame the kennels. Though she probably caught the bug there.

Next time I need someone to look after her, I think I'll pay someone to come and stay with her in the house. No more kennels for Poppy. I can't put her ( and me, and the carpet!!) through this again.
    It's heartbreaking to see her so ill.

Advertisement