Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son David (RTE)

• 05-09-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this last night (5 september) on Rte. It was about a 5 year old boy with lukemia. Program looked at the situation through his parents eyes, was very heart breaking story

Its part of a new series on RTE.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Heard about it but could not watch it, a bit too close to the bone still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It was an incredibly moving programme imo. What impressed me the most was the knowledge held by his parents (especially his father) about the whole recovery process etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was heartbreaking, cried my eyes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, it's not the kind of thing I'd be able to watch, but it was on at work. Very, very tough indeed. I had to turn away or leave the office a number of times - it was that difficult to take. The dad - I've never been so moved by a grieving parent. A part of him visibly died. The mum managed to be a bit chirpier, but the dad just could not hide his pain.
    As for David himself, he was a remarkable little fella. And such a beautiful child - those eyes! He had such humour and strength through the entire ordeal. Eventually it did get too much for him, and those scenes where he's traumatised by the chemo sickness were far too much all together. Don't think anyone could have watched that part and not got dewy-eyed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I caught this soon after it started and felt so moved my what the little fella was going thru'. During the whole process I was hopeful that it would go ok, and it did look that way for a short time after he went home. When the scene returned to the hospital I started to fear the worst would happen, and when they said that little David had passed I blurbed.

Both my wife and I were watching it and we couldn't help but think of our 4 month old baby and how the parents were feeling. When our baby was born both lungs collapsed and it was touch and go for a while but she pulled thru'. Seeing how David's parents coped I thought was remarkable, I couldn't even picture being able to talk about it, let along in front of a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

delly wrote:
    During the whole process I was hopeful that it would go ok, and it did look that way for a short time after he went home. When the scene returned to the hospital I started to fear the worst would happen, and when they said that little David had passed I blurbed.
    Yeah, it wasn't clear from the start that David didn't make it. Heart-wrenching way of telling the story.
    Both my wife and I were watching it and we couldn't help but think of our 4 month old baby and how the parents were feeling. When our baby was born both lungs collapsed and it was touch and go for a while but she pulled thru'.
    Oh that's wonderful about your little girl! Hope she's continuing to thrive, delly! Here's to her lasting health and happiness. :)

Advertisement