Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleats Advice...

Options
  • 05-09-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at getting a decent pair of shoes for my MTB, and will therefore need to get some cleats... what I'm looking for however, are ones that will allow me to use cycling shoes, or standard street shoes... I've seen These, but not many others... reccommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

afaik they are farily much the only ones. Although I'm a few years out of MTBing.

Those are certainly up to standard, and seem an ok price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

i use these they seem to work pretty good if anything they may be a bit heavy tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

def go the cleats one side, platforms the other. I have those on my MTB at home, just can't recall the brand sorry. I know some people prefer the ones with the cleat option either side which are quicker to get back into if racing, but if you want to wear street shoes....they are the ducks nuts as we say in Oz!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I have the M647 SPD Pedals on my dh bike and they dont offer much grip if they get wet with normal shoes. The single sided pedal would be a better and lighter investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Here's a question: is there such a thing as a pedal that allows you to fit a toe-clip to one side bit which has a cleat on the other?

To me, that would be the best option. I don't want to have to wear cycling shoes (i.e. with cleats) every day to work but neither do I want to use flat pedals without toe clips.

On the other hand, I'd like the option of switching to the clipless system if I want to go for a spin in the evening.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

I presume you could bodge the M324 SPD's to take a toeclip, tho you might need to fiddle around with nuts and bolts to get the right setup. But I have to say thats the craziest setup I have heard of. I'd either get a full set of cleats or semi decent flat pedals like these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3177

What's so crazy about it, Mr. Sane-o? Like I said, toe-clips for commuting, cleats for recreation. If that's crazy, I'm a talking ape. (Oh wait...)
    I presume you could bodge the M324 SPD's to take a toeclip, tho you might need to fiddle around with nuts and bolts to get the right setup. But I have to say thats the craziest setup I have heard of. I'd either get a full set of cleats or semi decent flat pedals like these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3177

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think toe clips would drag on corners and up and down paths when you were using the spd side.

I honestly think once you get used to the spds you will use them for commuting too and wil prob use the double sided ones as they are easy to get in and out of.

personally I have double sided spds on my mtn bike, but they came with clip in/out reflector platforms which I use the odd time, but can then take off to get the double sided goodness.

The scraping is a concern - true. But the reason I'm not using SPDs has nothing to do with being used to them or not. I've used them before on a mountain bike I have and find them perfectly fine. It's just that I'd rather not have to be restricted to wearing only cycling shoes every day at work, and elsewhere. Is that so crazy?

Am I so crazy, Jesus?
    copacetic wrote:
    i think toe clips would drag on corners and up and down paths when you were using the spd side.

I honestly think once you get used to the spds you will use them for commuting too and wil prob use the double sided ones as they are easy to get in and out of.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jebus says yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

What's so crazy about it, Mr. Sane-o? Like I said, toe-clips for commuting, cleats for recreation. If that's crazy, I'm a talking ape. (Oh wait...)
    Thats what I was going to do - get cleats on one side, toe clips on the other. So glad I just went with cleats both sides. Even riding the previous pedals with toeclips they would drag if not flipped to be right side up. So it would be annoying and/or dangerous to have them down while you are clipped in on the other side - especially as they would be 'open' in the down position and could catch a branch or something.
    So I was then considering a cleated pedal which would let me quickly add or remove the toe clips for when not wearing the cycling shoes - decided it'd be faster to actually just replace the toe-clipped pedals and the cleats as a whole if i ever needed to do so.

Probably the simplest solution, time consuming though it may be.
    kenmc wrote:
    Thats what I was going to do - get cleats on one side, toe clips on the other. So glad I just went with cleats both sides. Even riding the previous pedals with toeclips they would drag if not flipped to be right side up. So it would be annoying and/or dangerous to have them down while you are clipped in on the other side - especially as they would be 'open' in the down position and could catch a branch or something.
    So I was then considering a cleated pedal which would let me quickly add or remove the toe clips for when not wearing the cycling shoes - decided it'd be faster to actually just replace the toe-clipped pedals and the cleats as a whole if i ever needed to do so.

or just buy one of the recreational spd shoes. they have more padding and arent as ridig as race/mtb ones. I wear em every day and am happy out, but maybe thats just a cork thing. ahh monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

SPD one side/toeclips the other is not a good idea. The drag/catching thing is very genuine problem. (Note I have not done this but I have plenty of experience of trying to cycle with toe clips on the underside.)

Advertisement