Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishnessness

• 05-09-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Soon I will be applying for a foreign exchange type of thing. There are many requirements, but one is that you are expected to show an interest in your own culture and be willing and able to bring it with you.

And frankly I'm not sure what to say... There's all those stereotypical things, like GAA and Guinness, the 1916 rising etc. But I generally don't give a toss about that sort of stuff. I'm a very modern Irish person, and I am unashamedly a Dub...so I'm having trouble grasping things that are distinctly Irish and that I personally am in tune with.

So, my challenge to you is, as an Irish person, what makes you different to any other European person? Or any other person at all? Do you have to sing the Fields of Athenry while downing Guinness to be distinctly Irish? What kind of stuff do you think is cool about modern/urban Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just tell them you support a soccer team in a foreign country. Scotland should do, or England.

Try for an English city with 'Irish' links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

The Irish sense of humour, that's all you have to bring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Zillah wrote:
    Soon I will be applying for a foreign exchange type of thing. There are many requirements, but one is that you are expected to show an interest in your own culture and be willing and able to bring it with you.

And frankly I'm not sure what to say... There's all those stereotypical things, like GAA and Guinness, the 1916 rising etc. But I generally don't give a toss about that sort of stuff. I'm a very modern Irish person, and I am unashamedly a Dub...so I'm having trouble grasping things that are distinctly Irish and that I personally am in tune with.

So, my challenge to you is, as an Irish person, what makes you different to any other European person? Or any other person at all? Do you have to sing the Fields of Athenry while downing Guinness to be distinctly Irish? What kind of stuff do you think is cool about modern/urban Ireland?
    Bitch and moan about everythnig, while not doing a single thing to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Say you're partial to a few dozen pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Turn up steaming drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

answer any question asked of you with a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

what makes you different to any other European person?

Mo theanga

My language

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

read at them

98% literacy level is not to be scoffed at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When you get over there tell them the birds are much better looking than at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Terry wrote:
    Bitch and moan about everythnig, while not doing a single thing to change it.

Trés droll.
    GaryOR wrote:
    Mo theanga

My language

Yeah like I said, very modern Irish person. Useless dead languages don't do it for me. My Japanese is only slightly worse than my Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mordeth wrote:
    read at them

98% literacy level is not to be scoffed at

Wait...there's like, eighty thousand people in Ireland who can't read?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

really slow five year olds?

on a slightly more serious note.. some good irish writing? seamus heaney or somesuch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You identify strongly with your Roman Catholic Irish roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Love of spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

GaryOR wrote:
    Mo theanga

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You say you're a modern Dub? Tell them you love modern Irish fiction like Roddy Doyles Barrytown trilogy. Explain that this reflects Ireland at the very beginning of the Celtic Tiger in the transition from the bad old days to days of "A New Hope".

Don't fcuk it up at this stage by going off on a tangent and starting to talk about Jedi knights!

Modern Ireland is about hope and aspiration, about a 'can-do' attitude rather than feeling sorry for oneself etc etc. Any old bullsh!t will do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zillah wrote:

And frankly I'm not sure what to say... There's all those stereotypical things, like GAA and Guinness, the 1916 rising etc. But I generally don't give a toss about that sort of stuff. I'm a very modern Irish person, and I am unashamedly a Dub...

Claim european citizenship and tell them that like all modern shiny irish liberal surrender monkeys you place absolutely no value on your countries culture and, in fact, despise it as gauche and embarassing, due to the deep feelings of post colonial inferiority that the bourgeois class in ireland suffers from.

No offence like:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Turn up drunk, talk about property prices incessantly. At various points leave the room to snort cocaine but make sure to leave some on your nose for when you get back. Tell them about the time you met Colin farrell and you both scored the same bird in one night.

Sing the fields of Athenry. Wait until everyone goes home bar one or two and start crying and gnashing your teeth and mention how your dad never loved you. Tear up a picture of the pope and then get a taxi home.

Alternatively be yourself and take people as they come. Dont play up or down the Irish thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Modern Dub Eh?

Ok get yourself a few tats, when you speak make sure you don't use correct tenses,any event such as christening/birthday/dog has pups/goldfish died,make sure you go into debt to fund the party which will go on for two days,with full extended family.

ALWAYSbe the last to leave a pub,whether you are full or not.

Never sip your drink,horse it down,get it into ya.After all drink was never meant to be enjoyed,just to get blotto.

Always be the lovable rogue,the guy who never does anything to earn his keeep,but use the good nature of the populace to keep you going.

"Ah shure he's harmless" usually works well.

Live for the day,never ever ever put anything by for the rainy day.

"Ah shure it'll be foine,we'll have an auld singsong.

Celebrate EVERYTHING, victory,defeat,humiliation,court cases,deaths,poor results.

Thats a good start now for you, nobody will doubt you are not a true Dub if you follow that track.

Good man;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

memorise and repeat ad infinitum.

61 THINGS CULCHIES LOVE!!!
    1 A nice bit of ham.
    2 Buttered biscuits.
    3 Diggin Houles.
    4 Saying its too cold to snow
    5 Pretending to know about The Ra.
    6 Tayto Cheese & Onion
    7 Pretending they're in The Ra.
    8 A stretch in the evenings
    9 Lucozade
    10 Accordians
    11 Pretending to like Holy Week.
    12 A dinner dance
    13 Gettin clattered in muck.
    14 Shania Twain.
    15 Hefers
    16 Spittin in their hands before doing anything manual
    17 Steel toe caps.
    18 A big bowl of carrots & parsnips.
    19 Eating sangwiches out of the boot of a car at GAA
    20 Saying someones 'Opened a Book' on something.
    21 The smell of fresh dung.
    22 Slice-Your-Own Loaf.
    23 Work Clothes
    24 A bottle of mineral.
    25 Fightin'.
    26 Puttin on a ganzee to stop them from bein foundered
    27 'The' Hurling/Fitball.
    28 Being overweight.
    29 Wimen wha resemble Hefers.
    30 Saying "Aaah" after taking their first sup of tae.
    31 Drink driving.
    32 Red diesel
    33 The Fear of Change.
    34 A nice bit of Barnbrac
    35 Lying.
    36 Building walls.
    37 Being starved with the cold rather than with a lack of food
    38 Pretending to like mass
    39 Talking about sugar like Flax and the Corncrake.
    40 A good blackthorn walkin stick.
    41 Shouting 'Yeeeeeoooo' when something good happens.
    42 Mohammed Ali.
    43 Machinery.
    44 Strange uppy-downy walks.
    45 A good f**kin read of Irelands Own.
    46 Gelling their 1cm fringe tight to their forehead.
    47 Scandal, as long as its about other people.
    48 Turf, because Sentirl heatin's for wimen.
    49 Soda farls.
    50 Sponge 'n Custirt
    51 Newmerica', and anything to do with it.
    52 Givin the dog the wildest baytins.
    53 Givin the wife the wildest baytins.
    54 The Ra.
    55 Winning a leg of lamb in a raffle.
    56 Wrecking the house whilst steaming.
    57 Club Orange
    58 Rubbing their hands together before tucking into their
    dinner
    59 The Foot & Mouth.
    60 Aetin' a big feed of spuds.
    61 TK Red Lemonade

'nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have eaten more potatoes than there are people in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe it would just be easier to say your English and not worrie about any of this Irish stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Say arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Just tell 'em you're mad into property, travel & self-analysis.

Maybe the modern stereotypes will be more palatable for you than the more traditional ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

you forgot "pretendin' ta be in deh RA"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Give out about 800 years and all that, while supporting an english premiership side.
    But above all else, never spot the irony in the above, otherwise they'll know you're only faking the irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Think your home city is the only city in the world, and that everyone who's not from it is below you.

Have a dyed blonde chicken head haircut.

Pay a load of money to drink pissy pints in pubs where none of the bar staff are Irish or know what they're doing.

Sit in traffic all day.

Support an English football/soccer team, and refer to them as 'we' as if your related to them in some way. 'We' won the game yesterday.

Speak slang like 'kiss my swiss' and 'dog and bone' and think your original, when really your just ripping off London cockney slang.

Everywhere you travel, shout really loud in a thicker than normal home accent so people know your not from around here.

Advertisement