Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting from Electric to Gas

Options
  • 05-09-2007 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

I want to convert my apartment (approx 850 sq mtr) from yucky electric storage heating to gas central heating and I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much I'd be looking at? I'd need a boiler obviously, two big rads and four small ones. My apartment is on the top floor of a two storey building (so it's almost like a duplex) and I know that the park that we live in has a lot of gas heated houses in it already.

Oh yah, if anyone has done it and has anyone to recommend in the County Cork or Cork area it would be fabby!

I also read something online about Bord Gais offering a finance service up to €4000 which they deduct from your monthy bill ... has anyone taken this up, if so where can I find out more info on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

straight off I'd say about 11-12K but it's difficult to know for sure, you could end up with lots of "yucky" surface pipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Are u certain you can get the gas installed in your apt?
    where will the meter be?
    Is it a custom built apt or a conversion of a house?
    Do you have an attic space above all your rooms?

As stoner says u could end up with a lot of suface pipes depending on what the walls, ceings and floors are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

ok here goes
    bg finance ended last january so forget the bills
    the cost of getting gas to your house is 250 euro for the first 15 meters from a main then i cant remember the rest,

if you have wooden floors then the pipes can be run under them if not you will have to pull thee skirting boards off ( even at that if you get the wrong company they might not put them behind it its cause if there is a leak it will go unnoticed for longer and more damage will be done costing them more )

i cant recommend some one in cork but look up www.bordgaiseireann.ie and look for the registered installers list

the cost should be no more than 7000 euro id say more likely 4-6 depends on the work involved and the type of person they think you are ( honestly if they think you will be calling them back every week they will charge more to cover that sounds unfair but thats how its done )

it can take up to 6 weeks to get the main brought up to your house so id say get the ball rolling asap call bg on 1850632632 and follow the options
    any questions id be happy to answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Don't worry about the installation ,it's always easier than you will think.

I've done a good few gas installation in apartments and hid all the pipes.
    Make sure your installation is done in copper pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Smashee wrote:
    I want to convert my apartment (approx 850 sq mtr)

850 sq ft perhaps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement