Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - To build or buy - go HiSpec now or later...

Options
  • 05-09-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have been reading through some of the threads here, and trying to get to grips with most of what is said and apply to my situation. Unfortuently, I'm getting completely lost - so am hoping that someone will be able to help me.

I have a dell at home for the last 4 years, 1gb ram 3.06ghz p4 processor, and a 15" tft. I've taken up photography, and we got ourselves a camcorder. My current machine is proving to be a bit slow at copying photos from one drive to another, burning dvd's, etc. (or I'm just growing more impatient).

So, I'm looking to upgrade. Will probably give current machine to my folks, so am looking at getting a whole new one for me! I'd rather not spend a fortune on it, as its just for home use (and personally, I'd rather spend excess cash on an lcd tv!) The machine will be used for editing photos and the odd video, as well as internet / office, etc. We're not into gaming, and won't be hooking it up to a tv or any other system.

Right, so i've been looking at dell, and got the following spec'd up:
    Vostro 400MT, 2.33ghz, 1333mhz fsb, 4mb cache, 2 x 1024mb DDR2 667mhz, 320gb serial ata non raid (7200rpm), 19"tft. Everything else standard. Cost €762 (inc vat & del).

Is this worthwhile getting, with the possibility of getting more ram later when funds allow, and I can add in a 320gb internal HD I got recently too.

Or - do I try and build myself? The thought of putting together the actual machine doesn't scare me - but the getting of the right cpu to go with the right psu to go with the right memory and the right power supply, case, etc. does.

A monitor isn't essential, as I can keep the one I have, but everything else will have to be got from stratch.

So, if poss, advice on whether to buy a pre-built dell, buy a cheap pc and look at buying a new one in 3 years when a quad processor is norm - or build!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Go with the Dell..you're not bothered about gaming etc so this system will well suffice...
    It'll keep you going for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Cool, thanks for reply.

If I change my mind about gaming, will get back onto you'se .... although I was thinking it could be fun to build one!

Advertisement