Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreambox Or Technomate

• 05-09-2007 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Im gonna buy a reciver this week i already got a
    80cm dish so now i need to get a reciver, lnb &
    a Digitalalb card for prem football.

Im 50/50 on what reviver to get :confused: Im thinking the dreambox
    can do way more but it costs more. All i really want it for is football but
    in saying that when i get it set up i might want more :)

Id be looking to capture the football games to my pc so i was thinking a dreambox might be better because i can get the dvr one, can that transfer things i record to the hdd on the box to my pc throught a eathernet connection?

Anyone know how i could get in Limerick to do a install for me/ Don wanna do it
    myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you go for the Dreambox, you might need a bigger dish, as from what I gather, the Dreambox tuners don't like weaker signals. In fact, you might need a bigger dish either way.

AFAIK, yes, you can transfer data from the Dreambox to PC with ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭joe25

Hi go for Technomate 9100.Great machine but does take some learning to get right.
    Have mine working great now with latest ds image I have nearly all packages that i can get a signal on.

If you get one pm me and i can help you set it up.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'm very happy with my 1500.
    what more features does the 9100 have ?
    any news on a TM HD box yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

what size dish will i need?

cheers for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Technomate straight forward. Dreambox a more hobbyist / Linux thing.

Depends what part of country. In South East/Eat, 80cm may do. In MidWest/West/NorthWest/SouthWest maybe 110cm for more reliable reception.

I have 110cm near Limerick.
    Urlan does installs but isn't cheap.

• Advertisement

So id need a 110cm dish then cuz im in Limerick City.

You know anyone esle that does installs watty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Personally, i'd recommend the TM-9100, but its not a simple out of the box experience, you will need to perform some actions on it to get it to do what you want ... but having said that it works very well and is similar to the dreambox,but for less money

You can stream to your PC, or record to the HDD on the TM (Once you install a HDD), Its a great receiver ...

Also, as far as your Dish is concerned, i have a 85cm dish in Kerry picking up about 72% signal on Digitalb, i would say for me 1m will be a good dish size just so that if the signal does decline then i won't lose the picture ... The tuner on the TM is very good and knocks spots off the dreambox...

But as with both receivers, they are Linux box's so will need some playing about with ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I'm struggling to get a good Digitalb picture in Meath on 100cm with Dreambox 7020. I think with a bit more tweaking I should be able to get it steady. Lucky Premiere is there at the moment with a superior quality WS picture. I think the Dreambox is best option because of all those features. (like PVR, stream to PCs, software cams, Internet upgradeable, tons of software, linux, remote access, etc etc) I would consider hanging on for the HD version though.

Just seen the full spec of the 9100. Good but nothing new technically. Dreambox was years ahead. 9100 appears to have a much better tuner significant for Digitalb. 9100 is at a great price and makes the older Dreambox look very expensive. Ok so 9100 looks better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

the 9100 is still way too buggy, every new image just replaces old bugs with new bugs. So be prepared for problems if you go ahead and get one. Also, they have gone up around 50euro since June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I think saying its buggy is a bit unfair .... i have had mine for about 2-3 months now and found it as solid as a rock... once you find the right image to use then its no problem...

You also have to remember that the TM 9100 is still early in its development whereas the Dreambox has been running for years ..alot of the teams that develop images for dreambox are also developing them for the TM ..so in time the development will reach the same level..

Now the price has also recently gone up, but this is because its for the new TM-9100 Super (extra Memory), and the standard TM-9100 is no longer being produced

I certainly wouldn't describe the Dreambox as rock steady. I run the latest Gemini image and from time to time I will have to reach the power button. Most of the time it will be fine which is acceptable.
    The Dreambox price should really be reduced because of the new competition and anticpated release of a new HD model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Folks.. poor tuner on dreambox.. thats only on the dm7000 and early 7020's

They've updated everything some 2 years ago now.. all 500's. 7020's & 7025s sold now are using better tuners than before. Poor tuners is a 2004/05 thing.

This is no longer an issue... and its very inaccurate to keep regurgitating this.

My setup at the moment at home has 28.2 running though a multi-switch. In my living room, I get all FTA perfectly on my 7025. But my other receivers (Sky Panasonic DSB50, & Illusion M2S) both have issues showing ITV2+1.. lots of signal errors)... and yes I've connected these to the very same cable that feeds the dreambox uses just in case it was an internal cabling problem ... and its not.

I'm sure some finer alignment of the minidish that provides the 28.2 feed is needed.. but the point is.. the 7025's tuner is definitely better than a popular good-rated digibox and another generic brand.. at least thats my observation.

cormacl wrote:
    Folks.. poor tuner on dreambox.. thats only on the dm7000 and early 7020's

They've updated everything some 2 years ago now.. all 500's. 7020's & 7025s sold now are using better tuners than before. Poor tuners is a 2004/05 thing.
    How do you know if you have the good or the poor tuner in a 7020? (they are all philips but is there a serial number to identify the early ones). Some people might be looking at buying second hand. Can the tuner be replaced easily? Thanks

yellabelly wrote:
    How do you know if you have the good or the poor tuner in a 7020? (they are all philips but is there a serial number to identify the early ones). Some people might be looking at buying second hand. Can the tuner be replaced easily? Thanks

It looks a complicated task to replace the tuner.. some soldering and a steady hand. As for exact specs on old versus new.. I'd only ever buy the receiver new because that way, I know its not going to be plagued with possible issues.

As far as exact hardware ID'ing.. have no idea whats involved in knowing that you've got the new/old tuners.

were would be the best place to buy a dreambox?

bought mine from hm-sat.de

I wouldn't want to spend so much on a new box without HD. I did comparison of the weekend soccer match on BBC HD through a Humax 2000 verses BBC1 SD on the Dreambox.
    The quality difference was huge. Don't get me wrong I love the Dreambox but it is ridiculous that it is the same price as it was over 2 years ago. Technology has moved on. If Technomate can add HD then it will be a winner.

The Humax 2000 is not a PVR and only has 1 tuner.. it has no Ethernet interface and can't run a web interface.. technology had indeed moved on.. its not exactly a realistic comparison to compare Dreambox prices with HD-capable but basic receivers.

They expect Dreams HD-capable DM8000 to sell for €799.. its a dual DVB-S2 (HD) tuner receiver with slots for adding upto 2 extra tuners in -S/-T/-C variations. The only issue is that its been coming any day now for the last 2 years.

Looking at Hm-Sat prices for PVR HD receivers..
    Eycos S80.. €449 (single tuner)
    EZY-Box 8000 €549 (single tuner)
    Digicorder S2 w/160Gb drive.. €599 (single tuner)

(There are some cheaper ones that use a USB interface to external drive.. I'm not considering them.)

Then there's the reelbox.. AFAIK, the "lite" version does not have HD tuners by default... so you need to start with the ReelBox Avantgarde twin-tuner, 320Gb drive + DVD burner.. rrp €1499 or the Vista version (MS Vista) for the same €1499. I can't find sites selling the avantgarde, so I'm going on their own website prices.

So for €799 for a DM8000 I get 2 tuners, HD output and the slots for 2 more tuners.. which in my case would be at least 1 DVB-T tuner to have a combined sat/terrestrial solution. That to me is more value than whats out there.

I was only using the Humax 2000 to do a picture comparison of HD against SD. Just to confirm to myself that it is an essential feature for a new receiver. I wouldn't put the Humax in the same league as Dreambox/Technomate on features. The wait for the Dreambox 8000 is unreal. There was a rumour going around the other day that it had been cancelled but that seems unlikely. If Dream can deliver that reported spec for €799 then it would be the best option although I would be interested to know what Technomate have in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Very happy with my Dreambox, as already mentioned if you have the will and the time it is a worthwhile purchase, I've had mine for a couple of years and don't see any issue with the tuner. I eagerly await the 8000 release but don't see it out until this time next year. You could go for a DM600-S to tied you over until the 8000's come out.

Snake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mstreinu

ricey, have you got someone to install the dish?
    I'm in LK too and in need of recommendations; Urlan hasn't yet returned my last week's call with promised quote details.

Anyone else could pitch with a phone no of a good installer?

I am planning to get a Triax or, who knows, even a WaveFrontier/WaveField toroidal. I need to catch Astra on 28.2, Eutelsat W2 on 16E and Sirius 2 on 5E.
    Don't want to go motorised.

Thanks!

Advertisement