Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Year History Mods: US History & Australian History

Options
  • 05-09-2007 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done these? They are done by Alexander Wilkinson. However there is no synopsis of the course and would like to know what they are like. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    d_b

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i did US history last year. personally, i found it boring as hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm doing US History: 1800-1877 this year :) Looking forward to it. There seems to be 2 US History modules.... One in the first semester and one in the second. Mine is in the second, and given by Dr Maurice Bric. This is the description:

"This course will survey the evolution of the United States from the election of Thomas Jefferson in 1800 until the beginnings of the era of recovery and industrialisation after the Civil War. It will discuss issues such as the opening up the West, immigration, the issue of slavery and the path to Civil War, as well as the various platforms of reform and renewal which were promoted at popular and political levels at various points during the nineteenth century. As such, the course will address question of social and cultural, as well as, political concern."

Sounds pretty good! But your one is in the first semester I gather, and the website doesn't give any info on it :confused: What a bag of arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Studied Australian history in 1st year as a core subject, and in 2nd and 3rd year as an elective. Dr Hillary Carey is a a superb lecturer (if she is still there at all).

The great thing about Australian History is that it covers all aspects from sports, to society, to heritage, to geography, to politics, to literature. It also explores the development of Australian society.

In a nutshell, you will be able to develop a clear knowledge of the entire history of a country from Captain Cook's first coyage to the sydney olympics in 2000.

A superb course, and well worth doing

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Maurice Bric is the easiest marker in the world. Might not be the most interesting lecturer in the world but he's quite good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Has anyone done these? They are done by Alexander Wilkinson. However there is no synopsis of the course and would like to know what they are like. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    d_b

I am doing that one also. At the academic advisory thing at the end of last year there was a handout of modules. There was one course called US foreign policy in the 20th century. It is my guess that the course could be that one but I cannot say for certain. On the handout it says Prof Robert Bingham is the lecturer and when enrolling it stated Alex Wilkinson as you said. It is a little confusing to say the least.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I saw some info about the US Foreign Policy course last year and was interested in doing it this year, but the guy who was doing it (cant remember his name, but he is quite well known... saw him on TV a few times) supposedly aint teaching in UCD anymore, so I assumed they just discontinued the module. I didn't consider that the other US History course would be the foreign policy one... if it is, I'd say that'll be very interesting. Jammers, too!

History rocks!! But for some of the 2nd year courses I am going in blind as I dont know a lot about those areas of history, just doing it to expand me horizons!!

Anybody doing 'the West and the Middle East'??? Can't wait for that! :D

DaveMcG wrote:

I am. It should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

DaveMcG wrote:

Yeah me to.Something different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

if any one is looking for an amazing course in second year, the Germany from 1918 one is brilliant. not what you'd expect, but is so interesting and the lecturer is so so good.

'The Third Reich in Context: Germany 1918-1955' -- is that the one?

I'm doing that :) Dr Christoph Muller does the course...

Should be interesting. I was in Berlin during the summer and went on a couple of 3rd Reich tours... really good stuff.

if any one is looking for an amazing course in second year, the Germany from 1918 one is brilliant. not what you'd expect, but is so interesting and the lecturer is so so good.

Yeah im doing this one aswell.Last year was there 2 different germany modules though?One each semester?

Has anyone got a time for the modern irish seminar because it isnt coming up on my timetable for some reason?:confused:

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hmmm, I saw some info about the US Foreign Policy course last year and was interested in doing it this year, but the guy who was doing it (cant remember his name, but he is quite well known... saw him on TV a few times) supposedly aint teaching in UCD anymore, so I assumed they just discontinued the module. I didn't consider that the other US History course would be the foreign policy one... if it is, I'd say that'll be very interesting. Jammers, too!

I was in the lecture today. It seems really interesting. The lecturer is a gas man. He wants us to call him Bob. It is the US foreign policy thing from the Spanish-American war to modern times. I am looking forward to learning some new stuff.

That sounds pretty good, enjoy!

Advertisement