Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cobh broadband issues

Options
  • 05-09-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi everyone,

I am currently with eircom and I have the 2mb connection. It seems fine until between around 6pm to 10pm when speed drops to roughly isdn or slower, in fact a sh1t load slower on some occassions, even going as slow as dial up. I was thinking of moving over to BT to hopefully avoid this BS but I doubt that will help. Anyone else in the cobh area having or had the same issues? And if so did you resolve and how? Tnx in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

Me too. Last night was particularly bad though.

Not much you can do since I think the eircom lines are over-subscribed in Cobh. I'm on a 3MB line and I've never seen the sunny side of 2.8MB even with excellent line stats.

I have no idea whether moving to BT would make any difference and to be frank, I'm not prepared to swap providers since the changeover takes way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 falinx

tnx for the quick reply sideshowsue. So if you're on a 3mb line that means you're on a 24:1 contention ratio. What sort of speeds were you experiencing last night? My biggest issue is I enjoy playing world of warcraft but during that time my ping jumps to over 1000ms frequently which is just death to the gaming experience. Are you a gamer and if so, do you experience similair issues?

It was so bad last night I didn't even see the point of checking the line speed--I just closed my laptop and went to bed with a book since pages were timing out and youtube was a total non-starter.

Right now I'm getting 1.58 Mbps down and 52.8 kbps up on irishisptest.com. I fully expect a further decline as the evening progresses.

Not a gamer--just a heavy residential user of streaming content and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 HuD

I'm having the same problem. I have a 2MB subscription with BT and in the evenings I'm lucky to get 300kb. I've complained to BT support and they're working on it. Though it sounds like an Eircom problem.

Has anyone complained to Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Based in Cobh too and have been on to Eircom multiple times since August (2Mb service). They claim the slow speeds are due to spyware on my laptop which is not the case - everything is up to date.

Have tried using OPEN DNS but no difference there either.

Looks like we have to wait till Eircom fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Im in cobh too and in the last few days my connection has gone completely once but apart from that i am getting full speeds on my connection, hopfully the fibre network (http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Infrastructure%20%26%20Development/Broadband%20Programme )will be up and running early next year so we can ditch eircom and get a faster connection a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This reminds me of what happened in Dunshaughlin and Monasterevan (Douglas too IIRC). It's a contention problem I think. Spyware doesn't affect computers exclusively in the evenings:rolleyes:

It's definetely a problem with eircom. Go and complain to them. They need to know that a number of people are having the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Just off the phone to Eircom. Went thru the usual checks to prove it was slow. They have escalated/forwarded this case for a technician to call out.

They were not aware of any problems in the Cobh area ...

Will keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MarkoF

Live in Cobh and have a 3meg business line with Eircom and am on a Mac.
    Same slowdown problem between 5pm and 10 pm and I don't think that there are spyware on the Mac.
    Regards.

It's unusable tonight.

186126240.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement