Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.4

Options
  • 05-09-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Guys;

Today I am going to view this 1998 Auto Honda Civic about 50000Mile 1 lady owner; Full service History

What should I ask about??

Asking price is 4500

Any comments??

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A bit expensive for a car almost 10 years old. Mileage is also very low, make sure it has a service history to verify the low mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

bazz26 wrote:
    A bit expensive for a car almost 10 years old. Mileage is also very low, make sure it has a service history to verify the low mileage.

That is not expensive for a civic. I was offer 5 and a half grand as a trade in price for my civic which is a 99 and it has 73k on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Yep I will check the service history

Any comments about the Honda Civic 1998 1.4???

Is it true that the insurance is higher on Civic than the other cars??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Civic is a great car can't speak highly enough of it
    just make sure the usuals are all in order service history, timing belt, tyres etc
    cartell.ie do some checks for around €100 i think if you require it

Is that one a hatch as they tend to go for more than the saloons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yeah I have this car 'cept in manual, it's a 01. Got her for 6 grand with a trade in of an opel corsa. It's also a 1.4

Lovely motor! Very very reliable and quite comfortable!

Not sure about the insurance, mine wasn't any different to my other car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Older Civics do get a bit of insurance loading because of their popularity with boy racer twats, and the fact that they are quite easy to break into/steal.

Get an online quote and see what they charge you.

Stephen wrote:
    and the fact that they are quite easy to break into/steal.

Is this applied to this car?? is it easy to break into/steal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Most cars from that era are easy to break into, as they have weak locks (no deadlocks) and usually didn't come with an alarm. Most people will have had an aftermarket alarm fitted.

As for stealing, no, that ended with the previous model. The only way the '96 on model can be stolen is with the key.

Dunno to be honest, but most early-to-mid 90s Jap cars had an awful reputation for security, and that definately included the older generation of Civics. I don't think they changed all that much until 2001, so it may still apply.

As I've said the locks are nothing special and there is no factory alarm.

There is a factory immobiliser in all euro models from late '95 (ie the 96 model, new shape, aka EK) on when the new shape came in. This is evidenced by the little green key symbol on the dash. It flashes 6 times after the engine has been shut off to indicate it's working.

Early Jap imports of this model did not have the immobiliser, and the better class of joy rider knows this. No key symbol on the dash. Avoid these ones.

• Advertisement

Guys;

I saw the car; it has a full service histroy with the miles and everything; the normal service things nothings serious; I did a small driving test; it was ok i did not noticed any unusall thing; and the final price become 4000

Yesterday I was testing An Opel Astra 2000 1.8 I think the sound of the Astra was more quite than this one, is that normal???

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

I had a 98 1.4 auto Civic a few years back and loved it. It never broke down or cost me anything apart from petrol and servicing.

Fortunately, I never had any break ins - the extra alarm and imobiliser may have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is that the 3 door hatchback, the 4 door saloon, or the 5 door hatchback that looks like the Rover 400?

4 door saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy it! Always thought the automatics were 1.6 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

colm_mcm wrote:
    Buy it! Always thought the automatics were 1.6 though.

The higher spec Auto was a 1.6 (1.6i ES to exact). But they did import a 1.4 also.

I send colm_mcn's if you want a reliable car, but the Civic.

jayok wrote:
    The higher spec Auto was a 1.6 (1.6i ES to exact).
    That was a CVT wasn't it?

OP, yes the Astra would probably be a bit quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tripilampy

Hi,

i'm just after buying a 1.4 automatic Honda Civic, it is a Japenese Import and i can't find the fog light anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where abouts this might be? Surely, every car should be fitted with a fog light.

thanks

They're not required in Japan but they are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Stephen wrote: »
    They're not required in Japan but they are here.

y

• Advertisement

y?

I was referring to the rear fog light only by the way!

y?

I was referring to the rear fog light only by the way!

Sorry that post was meant to read:

You sure thats the case in Ireland because afaik it is only obligatory in the UK? - thats why all jap imports in england have a square rear foglight hanging off the back bumper - didnt know this was the case here though.

I thought it was an EU-wide thing for rear foglights. Given our whole VRT regime I could see them being left out on poverty-spec cars if they could do it.

It seems I'm wrong :)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#ZZSI189Y1963A9

They're not required here so you'll pass the NCT without a rear fog lamp. If you have one fitted and there's something wrong they can and will fail you though.

They're not required here so you'll pass the NCT without a rear fog lamp. If you have one fitted and there's something wrong they can and will fail you though.

Yeah , thats exactly what i thought the case was.

Where the fog light is on the Irish/UK model, there is an extra parking light. ie Ire/UK have 2 parking, 2 brake (same bulb) and a fog light (the corresponding "lamp" on the other side is blank). JDM has 4 parking and 2 brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tripilampy

thanks for all the info, puts my mind at ease, was driving me mad trying to find it!!

thanks again.

Advertisement