Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Q's / Advice

• 05-09-2007 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    Just hoping someone can advise me. I have read over some of the GPS forums, and it seems that Tomtom & Garmin are at the top of the list for best GPS system. I asked in Dixons and was told that for maps in the (Irish)country the Garmin 250 was the best to use as the Tomtom one didn't have great maps.

Is this true, or can anyone from outside of the main cities give a recommendation?
    I also looked up Garmin 250 on www.mysatnav.ie - it had a note saying :
    "Note that the GPS does not have an option to specify a vehicle type when calculating routes so it is not suitable for trucks and camper vans."

Why will this make a difference? (I was going to buy it for someone with a lorry.)
    The Garmin 300 on the same website doesn't have a note like this. Would this be better to go for?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

fpmcaf wrote:
    I also looked up Garmin 250 on www.mysatnav.ie - it had a note saying :
    "Note that the GPS does not have an option to specify a vehicle type when calculating routes so it is not suitable for trucks and camper vans."

Why will this make a difference? (I was going to buy it for someone with a lorry.)
    The Garmin 300 on the same website doesn't have a note like this. Would this be better to go for?
    In specifying the vehicle type the GPS should then avoid sending lorrys and the like down single track country roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fpmcaf

OK, sorry about that! I know it seems obvious, but I don't have a clue about them.
    I want to buy something useful, but I have a low budget.
    Is the Garmin 300 pretty OK?
    Are the maps good in rural areas?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

the Garmin Nuvi 350 is €299 on pixmania.

Advertisement