Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirt Jumps - Steps to get council involved?

Options
  • 05-09-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have found an area that would be ideal for BMX/MTB Dirt jumping...
    Does anyone know the steps to take to get the council to help develop it?

Does a security guard need to be there to oversee stuff? or can it be self-regulating....
    I understand there would be a legal Liability issue implicating the Council as its dangerous, but how do the skateparks get around this....?

Anyone know? Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

we had trails down in cork and they were knocked by the council after 4 yrs, then we rebulit them and they were knocked 3 yrs later. now we have trails built on private land. I say it would be hard to get help from the council...but good luck. where are u from?

www.rebelbmx.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Hi, Im in dublin. I cant even dirt jump very well.

yeah theres some jumps near here that were built years ago, but pulled down.
    My thinkinng is if they allow skateparks made of hard concrete where kids can fall and hurt the dirt jumps shouldnt be as difficult.

Also rarely is there serious injuries in dirtjumping.

The spot is not near residential land really so shouldnt have too many objections... and also theres space for a skatepark.

The politicians around here are approachable, and if approached in a proper manner could come onside easily enough. Its just to get it right.

was over in Calfornia in July, wow you should see their skateparks, I was at one that was part of a public campus with baseball fields etc....

Just a matter of convincing politians that not everyone likes football and golf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

Slothy wrote:
    I was at one that was part of a public campus with baseball fields etc....

f!

you should head out to greystones, it has running track, baseball, rock climbing and best of all a skatepark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

whereabouts in dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I'm interested in learning "how to jump without loosing my teeth", so if you need some manual work, let me know. But I am not good in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

ThOnda wrote:
    I'm interested in learning "how to jump without loosing my teeth", so if you need some manual work, let me know.

Wear a fullface helmet that should do the trick.

I recon the best way to get official dirt jumps built would be to form a club and seek funding from various government bodies.
    Even if it was a 4x track it could be used by hardtails and bmx and maybe even mountainboards!!

I am sure there are saftey standards for dirtjumps just like there are for skateparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Callan1x

Hi,Im from Leixlip and we built farely good dirt jumps in St Catherines Park but they got knocked down by the county council last week
    So,me and a few mates and a counsellor are going to a public meeting tomorrow about the park
    The more people come the better
    Were going to bike shops to get support
    We need YOUR help so please ,the meetings on at 6 or 7 tomorrow(20th June)
    Ring me on 0868440514 if your free
    And please,this might just happen and it would be a dream come true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Forming a club is the way forward allright. It took 20+ years of campaigning to get skateparks built, but that said skatepark provision has been such a success it should make trails provision easier.
    If it was me I would just go ahead and build them. The council will take 5 years to maybe either build you trails or tear down the ones you build now. Build them and at least you have trails for the next 5 years and can demonstrate their popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Callan1x

The Leixlip bike park will be built by December 2013 and will feature an International standard BMX Race track, Dirt jump section and a pumptrack

Advertisement