Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How accurate is your car's Speedometer?

Options
  • 05-09-2007 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Maybe this is old news to people here, but I (possibly naively) assumed that car speedometers were accurate, or at least 99% accurate. But prompted by a friend of mine we used a GPS to measure the actual speed of movement and compared to the car’s speedometer reading. There is an reasonable error rate. I understand there is lots of possible sources of error; age of car, wheel size, tyre pressure, tyre ware, etc., but the 3 cars we tested are all 2007 low milage.
    Eg. For my car (early 2007 Reno Megane) Car 50kph - GPS 48kph; Car 100kph - GPS 96kph; Car 120kph - GPS 114kph
    My mates car (mid 2007 VG Golf) is reading between 9 & 11% error.

This raises all sorts of issues re Garda speed camera, etc.
    Should I complain to the garage and get it re-calibrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think we had this exact thread about 2 weeks ago :)

At 100kph my Honda Civic's speedo was 6kph faster than the GPS reading.
    Overreading is normal in most cars, probably for legal ass protection - so people can't claim their speedo said 60 when they were done for doing 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

My 93 Integra is the same, Car 126kph - GPS 120kph

It won't raise any issus with speed cameras as the actual speed you're doing is less than what you think you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Are you sure that the GPS is accurate! They both need to be calibrated to ensure that they are accurate! The only constant in this instance is that in a court of law a gardas speed camera will (should) be in calibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

When my GPS reads 100Km/h

My alfa's reads 98/99Km/h
    My dads alfa reads 98/99Km/h
    My toyota reads 95/96Km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose to really do an accurate test the car would need to be on a 100% level surface otherwise the GPS is calculating movement over the earth and not calculating actual up and down movement the car has covered over the road. A test on a runway should give an accurate reading, perhaps ask Mr Clarkson if you can have a shot of there's for a lap or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I drove a Lexus for a few days in the USofA lately, and the the speedo was 100& accurate over its range...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

100kph real is 106kph on my speedo. That's what I go by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I just noticed this last night coming in the N4 (straight stretch) 105KM came up on the speedo but 101 on the sat nav. to be safe ill be sticking with the speedo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KOJAK_1

Speedo's are not accurate and can by law read higher than the actual speed. So the speedo can show a speed that is higher than the car is actually travelling. It however should never show a rerading that is less than you are doing. Can remember what the allowed difference is but i think it is 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KOJAK_1 wrote:
    the allowed difference is but i think it is 10%.

As the others said we've done it recently here. Legally, the speedo has to show a speed somewhere between the actual speed and the actual speed + 10% + 4km/h

E.g. an actual speed of 100km/h must be anything between 100km/h and 114km/h on the speedo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Speedo's are always calibrated so they show a faster speed than you are actually doing!
    This, however, all changes if you decide to change your alloys from 16" to 18" (assuming that you havent changed the profile of the tyre), because you have changed the overall circumference.

But Unkel's comment had me thinking (if true)....if doing 100 km/h, it can be anywhere between 100km/h and 114km/h......how accurage is the odometer (i.e. the milage)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Curran wrote:
    This, however, all changes if you decide to change your alloys from 16" to 18"

as is the case when i changed to 18s. my speedo now reads 72mph when im doing 60mph. compared using roadside speed indicators. least i shouldnt get caught speeding any time soon:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

loads of things can affect your speedo
    tyrewear ....different size alloys , high./low profile tyres
    etc they are ususlly calibrated to be +_ 10%

Advertisement