Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regrets

Options
  • 05-09-2007 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

okay, ill bet we've all heard this one at some point. we get a tattoo, and someone is always going to pull the "will you not regret it", "what about 40 years down the road", whatever card...

what actually are your opinions on that? what do you say? what do you think of the notion of being 40/60/80 years old, with tattoos on your body, with older skin, balding heads (for the lads) and probably some crappy white collar job (;) :P)...

im just genuinely curious, actually, so go on.... what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

"Fúck it all, regret nothing" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Je ne regret rien!!!! or however it's spelled.....although I do admit to being rather discreet with my body art, it can all be easily covered - if I wanted it to be! But thats just becuase my mods are for me, not because I'm ashamed of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I've actually thought about this alot when deciding on the style of my tatts and spent some time researching the styles that age the best and in my opinion going from all the evidence i could find those styles were bold black work and classic japanese style.

So thats partly the reason for my tattoos being the type they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I don't think i will regret anything.but my next tattoo's are gonna be on the back of my legs so if i do regret it at least i cant see them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I've actually thought about this alot when deciding on the style of my tatts and spent some time researching the styles that age the best and in my opinion going from all the evidence i could find those styles were bold black work and classic japanese style.

So thats partly the reason for my tattoos being the type they are

are your tats featured in the show me yours thread?

were you basing yours on the ones that went best with older skin, or the ones that age the best with regard to still having meaning, or that just never quite grow old in your mind?

i have loads of opinions on this one, but should probably be at the train station now, so ill have to explore them at a later date... (polar bear tomorrow though, huzzah!)..

im still looking for more opinions though, maybe when the rest are in work tomorrow morning...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think ill regret my wrist tattoo. Definitely wont regret my Liverbird on the back of my right calf

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I haven't been inked yet, but as a friend of mine said recently before getting a tattoo:
    "I'd regret it more if i didn't get it done". Whatever about a few years down the line. I think i'd be of that train of thought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

well my dad for example has some on his arms,back and chest,and he's actually not a big bald tough guy!but he's told me he really regrets them,he just says dont get them anywhere that you cant cover up,so im gonna stick to that!besides if ever i do regret them,im sure they'l have figured out an easy way to remove them in 30 years time,and if they dont....well may god have mercy on us all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

If you really plan your tattoos and are passionate about them I doubt you will have many regrets. I reckon spur of the moment and fad tats will be regretted by most, especially visible ones. My only regret with some of my tattoos is that I would have liked larger tattoos that are not possible now because of the location of existing ones. I wouldn't consider cover ups as I am not a fan of them and I do not regret them so much that I would get them lasered to make way for new tats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Regretting your tattoos!?!? 'Tis blasphemy! lol

IMO as long as you put enough thought into both the design and it's placement you shouldn't have any regrets.

I'd imagine the regrets over tattoos are because the person made the mistake of:
    Partner's name (who they've since split with)
    Band/team/whateverelse name (that they now think suck)
    Something really strange that they got in a not too reputable place while so drunk they couldn't even see what they were getting. (think of the captain in Down Periscope)
    Something they let peer pressure or X has one convince them to get (this I'd say accounts for most tattoo regrets)
    Bad choice of placement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Same as has been said before, my choice of tattoos will be something that I'll always like, and be proud of!

Plus if I get to 60/80 whatever age, I'll not be bothered, as at the end of the day, what difference does it make to who you are or the life you've lived?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

narco wrote:
    were you basing yours on the ones that went best with older skin, or the ones that age the best with regard to still having meaning, or that just never quite grow old in your mind?

No you're reading too much into it. All tattoos will spread and fade a bit with age so if you pick something with a lot of fine detail it'll lose the detail and just be a smudge basically when its older. So to get one to last for ages you need to pick a design which is big as if it spreads it won't have very fine detail to lose, bold with lots of contrast so when it spreads it'll still be clear what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

I'm a big believer in researching and planning tattoos. If you rush into it, (like anything in life) you might regret it. I've a couple of smaller tattoos that I don't regret, but I'd like to have put more thought into. I think people are more aware of the standards available thanks to the availability of magazines, the internet and tv shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Glamgurl36

you may only regret it if you get someone's name tattooed on you :eek: ..dont do ti, its bad luck..but other than that, it will probably be faded by the time you are old and by that time who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

ive heard people telling me, oh its gonna look terrible when you are old and wrinkly... you only live once, put thought into it, go do it, be happy. its only skin after all

Wilburt wrote:
    ive heard people telling me, oh its gonna look terrible when you are old and wrinkly... you only live once, put thought into it, go do it, be happy. its only skin after all
    *Imagines Wilburt flaying himself... dang, glad I don't have to mop that up!;)

Suppose another regret you might have is if you find religion later in life and really get into it, AFAIR a few of them consider tattooing yourself a sin as you're defiling god's creation.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

funny you say that, a mate of mine is a sheikh(sp??)
    he doesnt cut his hair, anything like that because to do so is to alter yourself in a way which god doesnt want. I cant imagine what he thought about me,pierced and inked.
    but he never said a word against me.

lets not get too philosophical/religious now farohar! :p

Wilburt wrote:
    funny you say that, a mate of mine is a sheikh(sp??)
    he doesnt cut his hair, anything like that because to do so is to alter yourself in a way which god doesnt want. I cant imagine what he thought about me,pierced and inked.
    but he never said a word against me.

lets not get too philosophical/religious now farohar! :p
    Does that mean that they don't use deodourant/perfume/makeup/wax any part of their bodies, etc...?
    Thought I'd seen some around Dublin who shave their faces to have just a mustache.... odd...
    Christians, Jews and Muslims all consider tattoos a sin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

Dave Fanning had one of his Drivetime shows about tattoos a few weeks ago. Think you can listen back on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

I can't imagine sitting around when I'm 70 and thinking, I better not take my top off, because my tattoos don't look as good as they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

Mines on my back and I totally forget it's there all the time, can't regret it if ya can't see it.

thats exactly what my thoughts are,my next few are going to be ones i cant see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

As far as I can see, regardless of what I end up thinking of my tattoos when I'm 60, I'd have regretted it more if I'd gone through life thinking "I better not do (insert thing I really want to do) just in case I regret it later on".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Right. I get this all the time. And both my hands are tattooed, so I can't ever cover them up.

Yes they were spur of the moment tattoos.

I don't regret it. I learned from them. And I've had my ink reworked to make them what I want and love. I get the whole 'but when you're older' card all the time.

I don't care about when I'm older. I love them now. I live for now. After all, it's just my physical appearance. And, tbh, I'm not one who cares too much about it. Sure I'm not gonna get any better lookin when I hit 40/50/60 like.

Has anyone thought what their ears'll look like? I get that the most. And I couldn't care less. It's pretty much the same as having earrings in, IMO.

Besides. I've found my life partner. And he loves me for who I am. And he loves my mods. And that's all that'll ever matter to me when I'm older.

who knows we might not all live until were old anyway:D

Mines on my back and I totally forget it's there all the time, can't regret it if ya can't see it.
    Heh, the only one I have that I never forget I have is the UV one and that's just because the message is so important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

who knows we might not all live until were old anyway:D
    EXACTLY!

Someone else who inderstands my mentality!

its why i do all my mods on impulse,f*ck it like its your body you might be dead tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

nothing wrong with regtret, it's a perfectly natural emotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

farohar wrote:
    Christians, Jews and Muslims all consider tattoos a sin too.

Depends on the denomination of Christianity. There is a reference to not tattooing yourself in the Old Testament,but that was to distinguish the Israelites from their pagan land-buddies. There's a whole lot of other stuff in the old testament that we're told not to do but we write off.

THe catholic church has no official stance on tattoos other than we can't do them to upset our parents and no anti-god references

Loads of people at work have tattoos. I think a lot of the old men can pull off having a decent one. Makes them look more humane(they were young too once)

As for regret tattoos, a guy at work told me about a friend of his who got his wifes name tattood on his arm, and now feels he must stay with her as he can't get rid of the tattoo.

Advertisement