Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No more appeals for banning?

Options
  • 05-09-2007 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a little question,

My friend got a 2 year ban of the road for duink driving, I told him he could appeal after 1 year cause as I remember you can do that. Today, he was in court to make sure he can apply for an appeal, and they told him they don't do that anymore, i.e. you can't appeal anymore after you've been banned.

Anyone know if it's true? did they really stop taking appeals?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭imalegend

i think if u got done be4 march 2007 u can stil appeal but after they changed the legislation in march....you have 2 go throw a solicitor to file the papers for you which is quite expensive and you also have to have kept your nose perfectly clean for the last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for the reply imalegend,

Considering you've kept your nose clean and had no offenses, will be you able to get it with the solicitor's help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

CyberGhost wrote:
    Thanks for the reply imalegend,

Considering you've kept your nose clean and had no offenses, will be you able to get it with the solicitor's help?

the law says no... but what happens in court may be a different thing, i don't know.... the solicitor should be able to advise on the chances....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if you are banned from driving for 2yr or less, it cannot be reduced after you have completed 50% of the ban.

A lot of judges are banning people fpr 2yr & 1 Day, which allows the banned erson to apply for their licence back after a year and a day

Thanks guys!

pa990, sorry but I really didn't understand what were you saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

CyberGhost wrote:
    Thanks guys!

pa990, sorry but I really didn't understand what were you saying.
    If you get banned for 2 years or less you cannot appeal the ban and get it reduced.

If your ban is over 2 years you can get it reduced. If a judge wants to ban you for 2 years but feels that you should be able appeal after 1 year, he will ban you for 2 years and one day. This is more than 2 years and you can therefore appeal after 50% of the ban has been served, ie, 1 year and 1 day.

MrP

That's much easier to understand, thanks MrPudding!.... I'm a bit slow :o

Advertisement