Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband

Options
  • 05-09-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello,

I'm looking for feedback from anyone with Irish broadband. In general, how good or poor is it? I'll be getting the Broadband in a Box package from them if I decide to go with them!

I'm living on the Model Farm Road in Cork.

The cost of €18.95 a month seems quite reasonable, I just hope its not a case of paying peanuts and getting monkeys!

Any advice would be great,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

Irish Broadband offer a decent service lately, been with them since the start and went through nearly a year of downtime(not paid), since Feb they have been flawless with me really.

I have both Fixed wireless and broadband in a box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I used Irish broadband on and off over the last year, mainly as a back up when my Imagine broadband has not been working. As a radio service, the signal fluctuates which causes slowness in downloading from time to time, and the signal is not strong enough to support a VOIP phone. It's a good basic service, but slow and intermittent if one is used to a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xtreme rebel

Thanks guys.

TBH, the user won't be doing much downloading/uploading....just basically surfing the web and stuff. I assume the Broadband in a box package will be ok for that sort of usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Avoid the "broadband in a box" aka Ripwave, it can be as bad as only ISDN speed. The maker originally marketed it as a wireless replacement for ISDN.

Breeze is IBB's real Broadband product. Other countries do not include Ripwave type product in OECD Broadband statistics. We do.

Ripwave is better usually than dialup and works out much cheaper even apart from cancelling a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

and what about their DSL service. no cap limits.. this sounds nice for 39.99 for 3 meg
    same speed as mine digiweb but caps here 40 gigs
    any word ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are Irish Broadband using LLU, or reselling eircom product? I presume it's LLU, as every line I check fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Personally, I hate the 'Ripwave' thing! Having used it for a year - as at the time it was the only internet bar Eircom Dialup in my area.

It's slow and slugish, and has frequent downtime. The only good points about it are the price and the uncapped usage!

Be warned of that 6 month contract! They never told my uncle of it when he signed up, he decided to then go for Eircom after a month of IBB, and they wouldn't let him give it back until after 6 months! :mad:

Advertisement