Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optometry

Options
  • 05-09-2007 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

So anyone startin first year optometry?! i dont no ANY1 :eek: !
    or any1 no bout d hours in d course?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

I had Optometry down on my CAO. I could have been joining you, but I didn't get enough points, so yeah, maybe I'll squeeze in next year.

The number of places (25 as far as I know) in the course is quite small so you'll get to know everyone really quickly. I doubt anyone will have a friend doing Optometry with them so everyone will pretty much be in the same situation as you.

Do you have any friends doing biomedical science or life science ( not entirely 100% that it is these two courses but there are definitely two)? You'll share some classes like biology with those people so you mightn't be entirely alone.

I'm not sure about the hours tbh. It's heavy enough compared to arts but probably similar to any other science degree. I think you'll have mostly full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Don't know much about the optometry course, other than the random rumours of fun and games that go around Kevin St. I know there's a fairly well organised Optometry Soc though. They do all sorts of events and get plenty of sponsorship, even have a proper dinner type thing each year. I'd get in on that during Clubs & Socs sign up week if I were you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Im in fourth year optometry. Dont worry bout not knowing anyone coz you have a ready made group of 24 friends because the class is so small the fact of anyone knowing anyone ele in the class is very small.
    As for the hours, they are pretty heavy in comparison to other courses but first year is a lot of general stuff.
    The Optics Society is a bit nuts, I was in charge of it last year and we have a meet and greet so the first years can meet the other years, an optics quiz in Nov and an optics ball in Feb/March.
    In general all the years get on pretty well and the lecturers are quite good too.Because its such a small course its like one big family.
    If you have any other questions just ask.I may even call into the college on Tue to see ye for orientation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dervruth

thanks 4d info! im not 2scared goin in on my own now!!
    i'l have 2 sign up 2d optics soc, sounds lik fun! if ur callin in for orientation, d optometry 1 is wed . . . i hope or else il be in der by myself!!
    1of my friends told me d class'l be all girls! tel me thats not true!! a secondary school of all girls is enough!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ya got a bit mixed up.We're in the following Wed for registration.
    The class is mostly girls but that's coz we're the brainy ones :D
    Ah but Kevin St is actually bout half guys and half girls.
    The Optics Soc is def worth signing up for

• Advertisement
Advertisement