Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

h.dip application

• 05-09-2007 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi I've decided that i want to apply for my h.dip this year so ive got all the forms and i dont know where to start?? I was just wondering if anyone has any advise on my application or maybe if theres someone out there who applied last year and got it then maybe you could give me an idea of what ye put in your applications??
    Thanks for any help:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

As far as I can remember, it's just a "fill in your details"-type form, and there's no "why do you want to be a teacher"-type questions - for NUI anyway.
    Unless you are looking into Trinity when there was a bit of essay writing involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

katieo wrote:
    Hi I've decided that i want to apply for my h.dip this year so ive got all the forms and i dont know where to start?? I was just wondering if anyone has any advise on my application or maybe if theres someone out there who applied last year and got it then maybe you could give me an idea of what ye put in your applications??
    Thanks for any help:)

I considered applying for the HDip but decided against it in the end. But from what I could see for the NUI colleges it was simply fairly basic details about yourself and a small bit of a 'personal statement' on the form provided. I certainly wouldn't have put anything more in it than the form asked for.

Trinity has an interview process - whether that applies to all applicants I'm not sure. But for the NUI colleges it seems to be results are the key thing. If you hit 42 points in the CAO H Dip points - degree average 65%-67% you will almost definitely get in based in previous years averages. Anything less and you'll have problems though you might make it on 41 points - 63-65%ish. There are restricted numbers in the case of Business graduates so their points required are higher.

If you are still only in your last year in college they will use your second year results which is something to watch out for. My final year degree was 12% better than my second year mark so I'd have sailed into the H Dip with my final year marks but fallen short with year 2 marks - which heavily influenced my decision to not apply. But by end of third year when I would have made the cut I had changed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

As my course director would say "You are not 'dips', you are the PGDE cohort of 2007/2008" (They changed the name of the course!!)

But as for your application, for the NUIs you apply to PAC. (Has to be posted, cannot be done online) The form is basic, no personal statement, or there wasn't last December anyway. So unless you want me to tell you your name, address etc, I can't help you.

If you decide to apply to Galway, they will ask you to choose either block or sequential teaching practice. Give this some thought as if you choose sequential you will not be able to change to block, but you can change from block to sequential. (Names are then picked at random from those interested in block....they only have 100 block places....if you don't get picked you do sequential.)

Read up on the courses before you apply. I'm in my 4th week of the PGDE and I'm wrecked already even thought I have no assignments.

I don't know anything about Trinity but if you need general advice, let me know.

Good luck.

Advertisement