Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring Question.

Options
  • 05-09-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

When I purchased my new house I got laminate flooring throughout most of the downstairs. The floor went in in the sitting room before the fireplace and as a result the fireplace was placed ON the flooring. This didn't mean much to me at the time, but now I am taking up the floor and putting down carpet and I am a little unsure on how to proceed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I obviously can't take out the whole fireplace/hearth and reset it, if I do it will need to drop down the few mills to align with the floor. I am thinking, Skill saw around and hope the carpet layer can tack the straight edge seemlessly to it. Not sure about leaving the floor there, as this would raise the floor and then the doors and skirting would be an issue :confused:

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Does the laminate go all the way under the fireplace hearth or is it just an inch or two around the edges?

If it's just a small "overlap" then you could probably pull out the laminate when you remove the bigger part of the flooring in the room. The fireplace fitter should not have fitted the hearth completely over the laminate.

Either way, you could do as you say and carefully cut the laminate as close as possible to the hearth and the carpet should cover the evidence!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

I think you will find Avns1s is right and the laminate will only go a little under the hearth to cover the expansion gap required...unless of course the fireplace fitter was a complete tool.

Advertisement