Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4-4-2 Magazine Top 100 Players

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

3rd last two years ACTUALLY! :P

see "end up" bit.

Perhaps. But that's like saying Cristiano Ronaldo wouldn't be number 2 without his pace. Or that Kaka wouldn't be number 1 if he had no legs. It's true, but it's a pointless thing to say.

I'm stating the reason for cara's position on the top 100 is because of his lack of _skill_ and footballing _brain_

what's pointless about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

ntlbell wrote:
    I'm stating the reason for cara's position on the top 100 is because of his lack of _skill_ and footballing _brain_

what's pointless about that?

OK, I sort of agree with that (though I don't take Carragher to just be some donkey flying around the place, he's a decent footballer too - you have to be to play at the highest level for so long. Sure he played right back in the world cup - you need a bit of ability to get away with that. But yeah probably not top 100 material based on that alone). I thought you were just dimissing him totally.

O I thought you were just dimissing him totally.

No, I would love to see him at united actually :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

ntlbell wrote:

Me too! I wonder is that heart of his transferable to other clubs or is it set to Liverpool mode for life? I suppose we'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ntlbell wrote:

lol.

Look, lists like this do little more than fuel debate. They don't help to get to the bottom of stuff. I think you are underestimating the footballing abillities of Carragher to some extent NTL, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Here's something you probably would agree with however:

Let's say there was a 442 poll of the 100 greatest players of all time. I reckon Roy Keane wouldn't make the top ten. And that is why lists like this are fcuking stupid and pointless.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    lol.

Look, lists like this do little more than fuel debate. They don't help to get to the bottom of stuff. I think you are underestimating the footballing abillities of Carragher to some extent NTL, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Here's something you probably would agree with however:

Let's say there was a 442 poll of the 100 greatest players of all time. I reckon Roy Keane wouldn't make the top ten. And that is why lists like this are fcuking stupid and pointless.

They can be a bit washy washy lists for sure. I understand cara's ability as a footballer def not underestimate it, which is why I'm right. :D

keanooooooo there's only one keanooo there's only one keanoooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****ing keane-ites :(

****ing keane-ites :(
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

as far as i can see and i may be biased as a liverpool fan but carra pisses all over rio.rio is higher on the list because he plays nice sweet passes and looks good on the ball,carra on the other hand can defend.he is the centre half on a team that has equalled their club record lowest goal conceded,kept ronaldinho scoreless over two legs and plays alongside either a kid(aggers first season)or an ageing hypia.
    he is very rarely beaten for pace despite having no legs,surely that means he can read the game.strong physically and mentally and leads his team from the back.exactly what else do you want a centre half to do.

cannavaro won world player of the year yet carra was streets ahead of him in form last year5627896+

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    keanooooooo there's only one keanooo there's only one keanoooo

QFT. And I'm a Liverpool fan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

raven136 wrote:
    cannavaro won world player of the year yet carra was streets ahead of him in form last year5627896+

I haven't read too much of this thread as it seems to have descended into a utd v Liverpool argument but this comment is utterly ridiculous and i think only a complete fanboy blinded by the lights could actually try and justify this. Whatever about carra vs rio but to compare anyone to cannavaro's form in the 2006 season as thats when the player of the year was judged is just madness as he was astonishing for both club and country week in week out.

now onto the actual carra vs rio thing. Just because they both play the same position doesn't mean they can be compared accurately because they are two completely different players who play in completely different teams and im not sure if they were to swap teams they would be as effective. Liverpool usually always has a deep lying midfielder so they dont need their defenders to bring out the ball and start things where as up until this season united didnt and their defenders had to kick start their attacks. The same can be said about the nesta maldini partnership as why dont they come forward that much anymore but why would they when pirlo is playing just in front of them and his passing range is much bigger and much more effective so what i am saying is cara would be a better out and out defender but rio is a better footballer and depending on what you are looking for in the top 100 players then adjust the list accordingly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

George Best - **** player?

Schevchenko - ****?

Fowler - ****?

Cantona - ****?

Henry - ****?

Carragher never did well for England, cause he was never given a chance.

The - - - "you have to do well in a world cup to be great" argument does not hold ANY water.

The mark of a great player is how they perform week in, week out. And if they stand up to be counted when needed.

Carragher does both.

Shevchenko dragged Ukrine kicking and screaming along with him to the world cup finishing top of the socring charts for the euro quals by a mile getting more MOM's than you can shake a stick at and scoring a few hat-tricks.

Truth be told, from the rest of your list only Best was world class.

Don't know henry is there, he's played well at world cups.

The rest of them were at thier peak in the premiership when the premiuership was an inferior league to atleast 3 others in europe and struggled to attract big names from other leagues despite having just as much money at the rest of europe.

Here's a fact lads, Cantona was [n]not[/b] world class, he was just the best player in a sh!t league,this year Christiano luccarilli will be the best player in a **** league, he still won't be world class.

Franco Braesi = Clown? :confused:

Braesi wasn't exactly a sprinter but he was the best reader of the game the world has ever seen and he was one of the best ball carrying centre backs ever, the only player I've seen take the ball from defense to midfeild as easily as Franco is Maldini, and that's mainly due to the fact that Paolo is a left full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

buffon deserves no.6 , look at one of his saves from last weekends games, world class. http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=In5Le6Zz7ME

trezeguet deserves to be in the top 100 and del piero the winner of the golden foot award 2007, beating the likes of henry and the other great over 29 year olds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seaneh wrote:
    Don't know henry is there, he's played well at world cups.
    erm, when?

hardly played a stunning role in 98, no one for france were good in 2002, and he spent most of 2006 diving and trying to win penalties - was never ever close to reproducing his best arsenal form for France in any WC.

Seaneh wrote:
    Here's a fact lads, Cantona was [n]not[/b] world class, he was just the best player in a sh!t league,this year Christiano luccarilli will be the best player in a **** league, he still won't be world class.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. His form in Europe was always a symptom of this reality.

By the way, for all of you screaming about how good a footballer Ferdinand is (and assuming you can think back a few years or so!!); would you have rated the likes of Ronald Koeman?

it's easy terrorise avrage defenders in the PL, it's easier when your the focal point of a team.

It's much harder play well with 10 lads you only see a few times a year and your forced to play a role your not used to so others can be accomidated.

Not excuses, just facts.

Henry is world class, he has been for about 6 years.

Fowler never did it europe, never did it for england.
    cantona never did it in europe or for france.

Henry has played well at the highest level (euros, WC Quals and some very good games in 98 and 2002).

Take off the sky-tinted glasses lads.

PL has only just become equal to Italian and spanish leagues.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    By the way, for all of you screaming about how good a footballer Ferdinand is (and assuming you can think back a few years or so!!); would you have rated the likes of Ronald Koeman?

would you rate kevin moran?

Ronald Koeman rocked my cotton socks,

about twenty years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It was my understanding that Cannavaro had a fairly poor season for Juve the year he won that award???

couldnt have been that poor, they won the league and he started every game he was fit for.

(Don't give me any BS about it being fixed, thos eplayers had nothing to do with any of that, they played thier hearts out, Zebina got 4 red cards that year ffs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Seaneh wrote:
    (Don't give me any BS about it being fixed, thos eplayers had nothing to do with any of that, they played thier hearts out, Zebina got 4 red cards that year ffs!)

exactly it had to be fixed, he normally gets about 10

ntlbell wrote:
    would you rate kevin moran?

Ronald Koeman rocked my cotton socks,

about twenty years ago..

I would rate Kevin Moran. But I would have played O' Leary instead of him at the time. Hmmm...straying wildly off topic here!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The most important question. Where is Juan Pablo Angel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tdv wrote:
    Well here's a crazy thaught. But maybe he's talking about the other Ronaldo.

Natch, so maybe he should have been called by his name as listed ;) C Ronaldo will never be Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

bit of a joke how high requelme (as much as i admire his style) is ranked on the list and then you've the likes of cambiasso who dont even make the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

nipplenuts wrote:
    Natch, so maybe he should have been called by his name as listed ;) C Ronaldo will never be Ronaldo.

Well true but its kinda of obivious who he was talking about.

weemcd wrote:
    bit of a joke how high requelme (as much as i admire his style) is ranked on the list and then you've the likes of cambiasso who dont even make the list.

Well Riquelme is the best playmaker in the world & is easily top 10 material but I agree Cambiasso should have a place.

The man who made the list is a strange man & thats all theres is to it.

JR riquelme is in no way the best playmaker in the world.

What about the likes of Pirlo?
    Ronaldinho?
    Kaka?
    Scholes?
    Rosicky?
    Totti?
    Nedved?
    Stanković?
    Nakamura?

Seriously, the lad hasn't played well in a long long time with any consistancy, great player on his day but he's also a lazy feck who the whole team has to work thier bollocks off just to compensate for.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote:

Ronaldinho?
    Kaka?
    Scholes?
    Rosicky?
    Totti?
    Nedved?
    Stanković?
    Nakamura?
    Seriously, the lad hasn't played well in a long long time with any consistancy, great player on his day but he's also a lazy feck who the whole team has to work thier bollocks off just to compensate for.

These guys (Neved is past it now, great in his prime) in bold aren't fit to clean the dirt of Riquelme's boots.

Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti & Stankovic are different types of players they might not do nothing for the best part of the game but have the ability to unlock a defence in a flash, they don't dictate the pace of the game like Riquelme. Different types of players hard to compare.

And what do you mean he hasn't been consistant in a long time? He was brilliant for Boca last season & helped win them the Copa Libertadores & won player of the tournament. He was the best & most consistant player in the Copa America.

I dont think there is any other player on this earth who could take an average team like Villareal & bring them to the Semi-finals of the Champions League. Nobody.

He is a lazy bollocks alright & dose need a team built around him. But as we've seen a team built around him has a lethal outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If this survey is based on form over the past few seasons, why is Michael Owen in it? :confused:
    500th post

No, just no.

With out the players in bold proforming thier teams don't tick over.

Nakumura is average. Maybe it's because you support Celtic you think he's great. Great at free-kicks but I could think of alot of better playmakers. And what has Rosicky really done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I can safely say Seaneh isn't an overactive Celtic fan.

Good 100 players, but the order of them is terrible. Even the top 10 is in terrible shape, only about 6 of them should be in that top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Some of you lot must be simple. Every single one of the players on that list is still playing at the highest level. By simple logical deduction, that would lead any person with an iota of intelligence to state that this is a list of the top 100 players at this given time.

Seaneh wrote:

Ronaldinho?
    Kaka?
    Scholes?
    Rosicky?
    Totti?
    Nedved?
    Stanković?
    Nakamura?

For once, I agree with Seaneh, Riquelme is a total luxury player. You only have to look at the recent Copa America final to see that. Himself and J.S. Veron might as well have laid out on deckchairs in the centre circle for all the good they were. They decisively defeated by a very under-strength Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If you havent watched Riquelme play for Boca last season, you cannot comment on him. He was simply phenomenal for them on a regular basis.

For once, I agree with Seaneh, Riquelme is a total luxury player. You only have to look at the recent Copa America final to see that. Himself and J.S. Veron might as well have laid out on deckchairs in the centre circle for all the good they were. They decisively defeated by a very under-strength Brazil.

I could say the same thing about C.ronaldo against Milan. You cant judge a player on one game.

My final word on Riquelme.

If he's such a consistant performer, then why are a poor team (Villareal), trying to get rid of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As usual the list is never gonna match people's own opinions. I mean come on, surely Xavi should be number 1!

My final word on Riquelme.

If he's such a consistant performer, then why are a poor team (Villareal), trying to get rid of him?

Thats irrelevant. Why the Ferguson want to get rid of RVN & Stam? Not because they were bad players but because they had personal fall outs with the manager & the same thing goes for Riquelme. And thats none of our business.

tdv wrote:
    Thats irrelevant. Why the Ferguson want to get rid of RVN & Stam? Not because they were bad players but because they had personal fall outs with the manager & the same thing goes for Riquelme. And thats none of our business.
    Yea but look at the clubs Nistelrooy and Stam went to after the bust up. You don't get much better than Real Madrid and Milan. The only club who had a bit of an interest was Atletico Madrid and they didn't pursue him with any real vigour.

Advertisement