Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Plumbing

Options
  • 05-09-2007 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

having just moved back into our house after three months out after work on an extensions, looking forward to having a lie-in back in our own bed, we were woken yesterday by what sounded like someone sitting under our floorboards with a hammer, banging erratically.

This I calculated was at the same time as the central heating coming on in the morning. I believe I've located [sort of] the area where the noise comes from, but I've a couple of questions;

- what the hell is the banging?
    - can I fix it without ripping up carpet & floorboards

Someone please help us, otherwise we may think of moving back to the in-laws again.

cheers
    DP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

did you flush a toilet, use any other fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

bleed your rads there is air in them

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Didn't flush anything or do anything, this only happens when the heating comes on in the morning (and I presume will occur in the evening when we start to get colder days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

it sounds like pipe hammer
    is your system sealed ?
    an unsealed system can cause rapid deterioration in your rads with air and water going through the water heats up and the expansion happens and bingo a loud rattling noise.
    what type of boiler do you have and how old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

IRISH RAIL wrote:
    it sounds like pipe hammer
    is your system sealed ?
    an unsealed system can cause rapid deterioration in your rads with air and water going through the water heats up and the expansion happens and bingo a loud rattling noise.
    what type of boiler do you have and how old is it?

The boiler was installed as part of the extension, so it was put in 3 months ago, and has only really started to be used this past two weeks.

The model of the boiler is a Ravenheat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

MMMM
    Cant say for sure if you can find a red pressure vessel then its not pipe hammer
    it could be the pump fitted on the return, or a trv on backwards
    best get a plummer doen to have a peek

Advertisement