Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tv- advice needed

• 05-09-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭

what tv wud u recommend .i have about €900 to spend on a new tv it will be hooked up to my ps3 and sky box.lcd or plasma.1080p ?any help wud be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've been toiling over the same question myself... I've come to the conclusion that most of what's available in this price range (at around 37" - 42") is old and/or fairly crap.
    I think forget about 1080p for €900 ... the cheapest 1080p I've come across was around €1500.
    Plasmas all seem to start at €1100 and work their way up very quickly... though I the ones I've eye-balled in shops tend to handle standard def incredibly well.

I think I'm going to wait for the technology to mature... I've read far too many bad reviews... pretty much every one I've come across so far in this price range has something bloody wrong with it... and that's if I can even find a review for it... googling the model number is a nightmare due to all the "compare prices" gobshíte websites out there clogging up the SERPS.
    Yeah it's been a frustrating few days. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i wud be buying a 32" tv i think its the size that wud suit my room the best?

Yeah, you'd probably get better quality for your money at 32" alright.
    I don't have any specific reccomendations, since I was looking at TVs strictly above 37" (and gave up).
    I found what helped me a lot as a plan of action was to figure out where you're likely to buy one... check on their website what they have available, make a short-list of the ones in your price range, then get googling for reviews, weed out any disasterous models... then if possible drop in and have a look at them in person... see if they pass the eye-ball test.
    I still don't think you'll get 1080p in that size or price range though.

I found a lot of useful info/reviews on http://www.avforums.com
    Definitely worth checking there for similar threads... this board is coming like a ghost town. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

and that's if I can even find a review for it... googling the model number is a nightmare due to all the "compare prices" gobshíte websites out there clogging up the SERPS.
    Yeah it's been a frustrating few days. :/

Dude, ever heard of CNET, Digital Advisor, Trusted Reviews or evenhttp://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/, http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/,

there's plenty of good info out there. For starters search via google.co.uk and then search uk only for reviews. That way, you avoid all the US model numbers and read reviews on TV's you can actually buy!!

And Yaba, my budget was small too, but around €1200 and I bought a Samsung LE32R88 and love it:D Probably a few quid cheaper now.

My two cents;)

I've heard of CNET, and that's about it :)
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i have been looking about on different sites and iv came to the conclusion that 1080p is not gonna make any difference on a 32" tv(only have the benefits of it on 40"+ tv's?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

yabadabado wrote:
    i have been looking about on different sites and iv came to the conclusion that 1080p is not gonna make any difference on a 32" tv(only have the benefits of it on 40"+ tv's?).

If you sit particularly close to the TV then yes that is true plus for the PS3 practically all it's games are in 720p so I'd say you are generally going to be better off with a 720p 32" HDTV.

A Samsung 32" M8 is a good display cant really go too wrong with it and is just on the limit of your budget.

Also if thats too much of a stretch the Sony KDL-32U3000 looks pretty decent and is under budget. Try local Sony Centre as well to see the prices and how they compare that model may not be there but ask about 3000 series.

Advertisement