Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wild food

• 05-09-2007 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

anybody here remotely interested in the topic.write back and i'll start talking more specifically.
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Would you like to expand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

¬_¬ * Watches thread *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tell us more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Also know as hunting and foraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Venison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thaedydal wrote:
    Also know as hunting and foraging.

Thanks Thaed. I was wondering.

*awaits OP*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LINKY.V.18

Minder wrote:
    Tell us more

ok then well for example yesterday i went out and and picked some early blackberries and some nice chanterelles.made soup with the mushrooms and i'm making the first of my blackberry jellies.i'm not telling ya my 'shrooming secret spot because i'm pretty sure others already go there,although i've never come across them.and although i suppose going to a butchers and getting a bit of wild pigeon is technically wild food,it's only really interesting to talk about it here if you shot it yourself.so what about you guys?what do you do.write back.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I love nettle soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LINKY.V.18 wrote:
    although i suppose going to a butchers and getting a bit of wild pigeon is technically wild food,it's only really interesting to talk about it here if you shot it yourself.

I don't quite agree with you there LINKY. I regularly get pigeon (& pheasant when in season) from a neighbour. (He has a habit of leaving them unannounced in a bin liner on our doorstep which has scared the bejaysus out of Mrs Billy several times. :D ) Just because I didn't shoot the pigeon myself doesn't mean that I don't appreciate where it comes from & doesn't make it any less interesting from a culinary viewpoint.

Though I'll concede that buying pigeon breast fillets from a butcher isn't quite as much fun & messy as plucking & drawing the birds yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have lived in the UK for twenty years and recently moved to Kent - am interested in making the most of the great variety of wild food available on my doorstep.

We have an abundance of cobnuts now and the sweet chestnuts are not long away from dropping. We have several damson trees in the garden. The local golf courses are good for rabbits. But I would really like to find a good spot for an eel basket - one where I can put a basket out and stand a good chance of it being there when I come back !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not many eels around these days, water pollution has seen the end of many populations around europe, even Lough Neagh has seen big reductions in the eel catch in the last few years.
    Wild food though is fantastic, Fish, Fowl and Fungi Oh yes I nearly forgot Venison and rabbit is hard to beat.

Advertisement