Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qualifying as a solicitor part-time ?

• 05-09-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it's still possible to qualify as a barrister or solicitor part time (via evening courses ) and are there any age limitations in doing so ?
    I heard recently that it was no longer possible. I've an honours degree in electrical engineering and am now working in procurement for a couple of years in a large PLC and am looking for a career change. I've always been interested in the law and the mechanics of it and if a part time option were available, i'd be interested in it. thanks ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

The simple answer is no it's not possible to train to be a barrister or a solicitor part-time. However, like many things it may not be as black and white as first thought, it is certainly possible to progress to a certain point at either branch of the profession part-time, for example the King's Inns Diploma is part-time following which one must undertake the 1 year full-time Barrister-at-Law course and if intending to practise at least one year full-time devilling with a Master. Whereas, on the solicitors side of the profession it is possible to study for the FE-1's part-time but thereafter strictly speaking it involves a full-time commitment, as both the Training Contract i.e. 'in office' training and PPC Courses specifically require a full-time commitment. Although it might be possible to reach some sort of agreement with a Training Solicitor regarding part-time hours, but strictly speaking the Law Society forbids any such arrangement (but what they don't know won't hurt them!).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

caomhino wrote:
    Does anyone know if it's still possible to qualify as a barrister or solicitor part time (via evening courses )

The Kings Inns was a 2 year evening course but it changed to a daytime1 year course. In the future, they might bring back a form of the 2 year evening course, but as things stand it is only full time.

The Law Society had a night course which ran for 1 year (I think) and then they moved it down to Cork full time, so again they might, or might not, bring an evening course back in.
    and are there any age limitations in doing so ?

No, and it would be discrimination if they did (and therefore illegal).
    I heard recently that it was no longer possible. I've an honours degree in electrical engineering and am now working in procurement for a couple of years in a large PLC and am looking for a career change. I've always been interested in the law and the mechanics of it and if a part time option were available, i'd be interested in it. thanks ..

You could do a part time degree or diploma in law; this would give you a taste for it. Or, you could probably do a quasi legal professional qualification part time e.g. legal executive. Then if you like the work, you might get a training contract from a solicitor's firm.

Advertisement