Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 or Xbox360 ?

Options
  • 05-09-2007 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Not much to explain what I mean.... Which is the best, I want to Buy a console for GTA IV, but the ps3 seems dear.... Although I hope to be getting back into gaming soon... My question Stands...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

head-in-hands.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Not much to explain what I mean.... Which is the best, I want to Buy a console for GTA IV, but the ps3 seems dear.... Although I hope to be getting back into gaming soon... My question Stands...

Why would you post it in the playstation forum?

Mod, please move this or delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Moved to Games from Playstation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

virtualboy.jpg

FTMFW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

thats actually the first time i've seen one of those with the controller attached. Thank you for enlightening me Retro... Now i want one! Does it come with free panadol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

All the colours of the rainbo... well, red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Basing the purchase of either console on 1 game is pointless. You need to look at the overall pro's and cons for both consoles and then decided. There are plenty of PS3 v 360 post/articles on here and around the net have a read of them and decide for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Step One
    Place the egg in a saucepan.

Step Two
    Run cold water into the saucepan until the water is 1 inch above the egg.

Step Three
    Place the saucepan on a stove and cook over medium heat until the water begins to boil.

Step Four
    Reduce the heat to low.

Step Five
    Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 10 to 15 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.

Step Six
    Remove the egg with a spoon or ladle and let it cool slowly, or run cold water over it to cool it more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Stokolan wrote:
    Basing the purchase of either console on 1 game is pointless. You need to look at the overall pro's and cons for both consoles and then decided. There are plenty of PS3 v 360 post/articles on here and around the net have a read of them and decide for yourself

No.

Im sorry but that is complete bollox and is the exact oposite of several conversations i have had with both friends, people on the internet and people you randomley meet in pubs/hoidays.

Any conversation ive had about games/consoles is always the same but ill skip to the important part.

N64, Goldeneye. I bought that console for that game and i am not the only one. MGS4 is another i dont like the MG games but i did hear one or two people say they would but a ps3 for that game.

People do buy consoles for single games all the time.

Also if tou where going to spend that much on a ps3 why not get that Gforce 8800 768mb grafix card for a pc? you would get more lasting time out of it than you would the ps3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AntiVirus wrote:
    Step One
    Place the egg in a saucepan.

Step Two
    Run cold water into the saucepan until the water is 1 inch above the egg.

Step Three
    Place the saucepan on a stove and cook over medium heat until the water begins to boil.

Step Four
    Reduce the heat to low.

Step Five
    Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 10 to 15 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.

Step Six
    Remove the egg with a spoon or ladle and let it cool slowly, or run cold water over it to cool it more quickly.

So thats how its done!! Man I have been ruining eggs for far too long...... I salute you good sir and my belly thanks you!!

Back to the OP's question.
    I prefer the 360 to be honest but its all down to your own tastes in games etc. The ps3 won't have a few good games out for a while where as the 360 has a good collection now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

User45701 wrote:
    Also if tou where going to spend that much on a ps3 why not get that Gforce 8800 768mb grafix card for a pc? you would get more lasting time out of it than you would the ps3

I'd disagree with that. GFX cards are generally outdated within a month of purchase, developers for PC games are constantly pushing the graphical envelope forward making for better looking and more graphic hungry games. So if you wan't to keep playing your games as they were meant to be played you'll end up upgrading your gfx at least once a year.

A console is static for the most part hardware-wise. They have a longer shelf-life than GFX cards and games for them will be developed based on the hardware that the console has, rather than future tech. As such the console will give you better value than the newest top spec gfx card (unless it breaks:eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Let's not turn this into another console vs PC thing.

If GTA is literally all you care about, I believe the 360 is going to have additional downloadable content for it.
    If you're looking beyond GTA though, there's a whole bunch of factors that make one or the other better or worse for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

User45701 wrote:
    No.

Im sorry but that is complete bollox and is the exact oposite of several conversations i have had with both friends, people on the internet and people you randomley meet in pubs/hoidays.

Any conversation ive had about games/consoles is always the same but ill skip to the important part.

N64, Goldeneye. I bought that console for that game and i am not the only one. MGS4 is another i dont like the MG games but i did hear one or two people say they would but a ps3 for that game.

Time to engage the brain I think.

What other consoles was Goldeneye available for?
    What other consoles will MGS4 be available for?

In those cases there was no choice. If you wanted the game you had to have the correct console.

GTA will be available for both the PS3 & 360. Basing your purchasing decision on just wanting to play GTA IV is not enough information. It'll be available on two consoles and pretty much the same on both.

If GTA is the only criteria and the OP will only ever play this game then I'd say 360 as there will be extra content for the 360. But I'm pretty sure the OP will want to play more games so more info is needed.

Is cost a factor?
    Does he need / care about Blu-Ray?
    Does he prefer HD-DVD? The 360 doesn't come with it as standard but if the movies you want are on HD-DVD at least you're not splashing out on a Blu-Ray player you don't want.
    Are there any other games he's interested in that are exclusive to either console.
    What consoles do his mates have for swaps?
    Does he prefer Sony or Microsoft? Not really a consideration but some people actually base their purchase on this question.
    Do you have a preference for the 360 or PS3 controller? Again this is a more fanyboyish question. I've used both and while both take getting used to it's not rocket science.

The list goes on and on.

Edit: Crap. Crucifix beat me to it (I'm a slow typer) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I do admit that I'm biased, since I just shelled out for a new XBox 360 a few weeks ago, but still...

A huge amount of games will come out of both consoles, so for me personally it just came down to what was "exclusive" on one vs. the other.

All that I knew of on the PS3 was the Final Fantasy series (which I was never a fan of) and the Metal Gear Solid series.

With this in mind, I borrowed Metal Gear Solid 3 from a friend, and played for 5 or 6 hours. Out of that, I spent most of the time watching cutscenes and not playing anything - so my decision was made.

I've got the XBox now with Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Halo 1 & 2, and have still yet to play Halo 3, Kane & Lynch, Mass Effect, Stranglehold, Alan Wake, Grant Theft Auto 4, and more.

So far; I regret nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So if you wan't to keep playing your games as they were meant to be played you'll end up upgrading your gfx at least once a year.

Why in the name of god do people keep insisting that you HAVE to upgrade you gfx card each year. It's a load of bollox. But a decent card and it'll do you years. And WILL be able to play the latest games as they come out. You will eventually have to upgrade, but not every year as so many idiots insist!

Andyway, OP, have a gander at the games that are available and will be released on both formats and then decide which is more promising for you. Which ever one you choose, you'll be losing out on some console-specific releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I suppose I'll give an opinion then :p

I'd go for the 360. There's really nothing thats currently on the ps3 that isnt on the 360. And the price tag on the ps3 is really..extortionate. That, and there's halo 3 to look forward to. Oh, and Bioshock. (if you havent picked up a PC copy)

If you're into blu-ray of course, thats a different matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If you're getting it for one game, then get the 360
    a FAR superior controller and DLC would be enough to sway it for me, plus it costs a few hundred clams less...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Get a wii.....

or a 360. At least until Sony stop favouring the rest of the world over Europe and give us a damn price cut. That said if you're travelling to Japan soon you could pick one up nice and cheap(ish).

Fopr me the PS3 has nothing I want more than the 360 can offer, therefore I woudn't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Dear o' dear... You've been here for 5 months now you should know how pissed off we get when you post these pointless threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

post noodz of your gf, then profit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭StewieGriffin07

Nailz wrote:
    Dear o' dear... You've been here for 5 months now you should know how pissed off we get when you post these pointless threads!

feck off

lol... thanks, some of you, for all of the info. I agree with the consoles being bought for one single game.... thanks for stating that, and if there is downloadable material on xbox360.... i might be getting that, but everyone always mentions ps3.... so, im not too sure yet what to do...

sprinkles wrote:
    Get a wii.....

or a 360. At least until Sony stop favouring the rest of the world over Europe and give us a damn price cut. That said if you're travelling to Japan soon you could pick one up nice and cheap(ish).

Fopr me the PS3 has nothing I want more than the 360 can offer, therefore I woudn't use it.

good point.... all i have realised that instead of getting honest answers on these forums, everyone becomes defenseve and favour what they like or own and it turns into a agruement.... still, a wii is a good idea...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably just close your eyes and pick one, this time 6 months it won't really matter as most titles will be multiformat, this is probably the last time that one manufacturer holds exclusive rights on a game, the cost is just too high, so outside of 1st party titles there will be a blanket of same releases across Sony and MS console alike.
    Just figure how much you want to spend and think about the fact that the 360 will probably be replaced in 2009 while the PS3 has 4 years to go at the least, maybe that doesn't help at all!
    If you are a gamer then the question isn't so much "Which one do I get?" but rather it should be "Which one should I get 1st?".

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

erm,

Bioshock,
    UT3,
    COD4,
    Half Life 2 episode 2
    Team Fortress
    Portal
    Crysis
    World in Conflict

Get a PC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

conzymaher wrote:
    Crysis
    World in Conflict
    +1000 euro.

Don't get a PC :)

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

humanji wrote:
    Why in the name of god do people keep insisting that you HAVE to upgrade you gfx card each year. It's a load of bollox. But a decent card and it'll do you years. And WILL be able to play the latest games as they come out. You will eventually have to upgrade, but not every year as so many idiots insist!

You did notice that i said "playing your games as they were meant to be played" right and that I was contrasting a static development platform like an console with a non-static platform like the pc? I didn't make a sweeping statement saying that you HAVE to upgrade your gfx every year. I can play the latest games on my 2 year old system, but I'm not going to lie and say that I can play them with everything maxxed out.

Now I think that most people who drop 500+euro on a top end gfx card will have a pretty nice system and screen. 20" widescreen maybe 24". Otherwise what's the point? Now if you want to play the latest games with all the bells and whistles maxed out (as they were meant to be played) on a screen with high res like that that (1650 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200) you will most likely need to have top end graphics, which due to Nvidia and AMDs output changing every six months will end up with a yearly upgrade.

Remember when doom 3 came out and the recommended specs called for a 512mb GFX card, even though they weren't out yet. Developers are continually pushing forward, pushing technology to their limits, and so I think it's fair to say that if you want to play your pc games with all bells and whistles you will end up drawn into the yearly, if not six monthly upgrade cycle. Though, as I said originally, that is only if you want to play the games as they were meant to be played in all their hardware crushing glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_exclusives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives

These lists dont include 360&PC exclusives or PS3&PC exclusives like Bioshock and Haze respectivly.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Fixed.

fu? Its a good investment to be able to game on the best Platform.....

Oh! he went there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

feck off
    No.... respect my atthoritah....;)

Advertisement