Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 or Xbox360 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I've been a sony freak in the past but this gen has been ALLLLLL about the 360. PS3 might catch up in a year or more but 360 is where it is at and has been at for the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You did notice that i said "playing your games as they were meant to be played" right and that I was contrasting a static development platform like an console with a non-static platform like the pc? I didn't make a sweeping statement saying that you HAVE to upgrade your gfx every year. I can play the latest games on my 2 year old system, but I'm not going to lie and say that I can play them with everything maxxed out.

Now I think that most people who drop 500+euro on a top end gfx card will have a pretty nice system and screen. 20" widescreen maybe 24". Otherwise what's the point? Now if you want to play the latest games with all the bells and whistles maxed out (as they were meant to be played) on a screen with high res like that that (1650 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200) you will most likely need to have top end graphics, which due to Nvidia and AMDs output changing every six months will end up with a yearly upgrade.

Remember when doom 3 came out and the recommended specs called for a 512mb GFX card, even though they weren't out yet. Developers are continually pushing forward, pushing technology to their limits, and so I think it's fair to say that if you want to play your pc games with all bells and whistles you will end up drawn into the yearly, if not six monthly upgrade cycle. Though, as I said originally, that is only if you want to play the games as they were meant to be played in all their hardware crushing glory.

But it also depends on what cards you get. My gfx card is a couple of years old and will still play games at max settings. Of course, I have to agree that PC games designers will keep pushing the limits of technology, but you don't have to fork out for gfx card every year or twice a year to keep up with them. My main rant was mainly because whenever the PC vs console arguments come up, someone always says you have to keep upgrading your pc several times a year. It's not true, even if you want to play the latest games at full whack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

You did notice that i said "playing your games as they were meant to be played" right and that I was contrasting a static development platform like an console with a non-static platform like the pc? I didn't make a sweeping statement saying that you HAVE to upgrade your gfx every year. I can play the latest games on my 2 year old system, but I'm not going to lie and say that I can play them with everything maxxed out.

Now I think that most people who drop 500+euro on a top end gfx card will have a pretty nice system and screen. 20" widescreen maybe 24". Otherwise what's the point? Now if you want to play the latest games with all the bells and whistles maxed out (as they were meant to be played) on a screen with high res like that that (1650 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200) you will most likely need to have top end graphics, which due to Nvidia and AMDs output changing every six months will end up with a yearly upgrade.

Remember when doom 3 came out and the recommended specs called for a 512mb GFX card, even though they weren't out yet. Developers are continually pushing forward, pushing technology to their limits, and so I think it's fair to say that if you want to play your pc games with all bells and whistles you will end up drawn into the yearly, if not six monthly upgrade cycle. Though, as I said originally, that is only if you want to play the games as they were meant to be played in all their hardware crushing glory.

Em, you said you disagreed with a poster who suggested getting a Gforce 8800 768mb as it would last longer than ps3 or xbox gfx. It will of course last longer as it has already surpassed them. There is no need to update every 6 months if you want better than console gfx as it will natually be ahead of any console till the next generation. So I don't know what you are disagreeing about.

Why do you need to have everything maxed out anyway? If you buy a good graphics card now in a few years though it won't be able to display everything at max settings it'll still look better than any console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_exclusives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives

These lists dont include 360&PC exclusives or PS3&PC exclusives like Bioshock and Haze respectivly.

I think that should be the official automatic answer to every thread like this in future.

Advertisement